Dean Smith

Demitri_C

When we had our tails up we played some absolutely blinding football. The patterns are getting prettier by the game/season. 

We're starting to look like an incredibly well drilled unit, front to back. If he made one mistake today is was not swapping Carney and Buendia, feel like Carney just doesn't have the tactical nous to play centre mid at this level, yet. But that is nit-picking somewhat, the only way he is really going to improve is with minutes and I said the same about Ramsey. 

All in all, another good day at the office. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I thought we should have started Ings or Watkins with the other being on the bench as we aren't reliant on one striker this year.

Sports science probably said no. Otherwise he would undoubtedly have had one of them on the bench if nothing else. 

This is why you have a squad. We put out a team that must have cost upwards of £150m regardless. 

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Guy is just like Solskjaer. 

Just created vibes. We'll win nothing under him. 

Not starting Martinez is an unbelievable decision. We don't play in Europe. There is no reason to rest as many players as we did. 

This was a great opportunity wasted. Martinez plays and we win this game. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c7b41a07b54b7b7f80

• Like 2

Absolutely no complaints with the side put out or the performance. Apart from having Ings or Watkins on the bench then all gravy. Really proud of the younger players holding their own and showing little fear. 

Dean has belief in the youth and I don't blame him. I wish more fans had more belief in Dean rather than the constant nit-picking when we don't get the result we want. 

These youth players would be destroyed under the likes of Mourinho and co and then bought back a few years later for crazy money. 

We're in good hands. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wezbid said:

Absolutely no complaints with the side put out or the performance. Apart from having Ings or Watkins on the bench then all gravy. Really proud of the younger players holding their own and showing little fear. 

Dean has belief in the youth and I don't blame him. I wish more fans had more belief in Dean rather than the constant nit-picking when we don't get the result we want. 

These youth players would be destroyed under the likes of Mourinho and co and then bought back a few years later for crazy money. 

We're in good hands. 

Amazing really isn't it. We used our squad depth, something we actually have now in spades, and people are moaning that he isn't running the first team into the ground in September. 

He thought they were good enough to win the game, and they were. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not starting Martinez is an unbelievable decision. We don't play in Europe. There is no reason to rest as many players as we did. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Amazing really isn't it. We used our squad depth, something we actually have now in spades, and people are moaning that he isn't running the first team into the ground in September. 

He thought they were good enough to win the game, and they were. 

Absolutely. It's not just strength in depth in terms of names, it's the performances from teenagers and those on the periphery of the first team. 

We've more than held our own against a more expensive and experienced opposition. 

What is the point of building a squad if we aren't going to use it? 

When players get injured and others come in cold and with little game time then people will be asking why players weren't given minutes in the Carabou Cup to keep them somewhat match fresh. 

The guy can't win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wow ! where to start … it’s  almost worth getting penalty points or banned for but also, actually,  what’s the point … Can I ask a question - I’m going to anyhow… Do you actually believe in 80% of what you type? I mean I’m all up for polar opinions and constructive engaged debate, but seriously do you purposely go against logic and just post for effect? I’m just baffled by the daily IMO phishing posts based on McGrath knows what, cause it ain’t reality… 

(I don’t believe that my opinion are more valid than yours or others  at all BTW I’d just say they are more considered than yours… )

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my issue is not the starting 11, but the bench. it just said to me that there was no expectation to win the cup tie and instead use it to give the kids more minutes. which unfortunately, they'll likely not get any more of until the FA cup in 3 months time.

having 2-3 of the first team on the bench, ready to be used in case of emergency, wouldn't have burnt them out like people are suggesting.

anyone thinking that smith took tonight seriously, needs to question why he couldn't even be bothered to do the press conference and sent shakespere instead. even the media duties are given to the 2nd string

i just think he made a mistake tonight and i hope the FA cup is given a real go.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

my issue is not the starting 11, but the bench. it just said to me that there was no expectation to win the cup tie and instead use it to give the kids more minutes. which unfortunately, they'll likely not get any more of until the FA cup in 3 months time.

having 2-3 of the first team on the bench, ready to be used in case of emergency, wouldn't have burnt them out like people are suggesting.

anyone thinking that smith took tonight seriously, needs to question why he couldn't even be bothered to do the press conference and sent shakespere instead. even the media duties are given to the 2nd string

i just think he made a mistake tonight and i hope the FA cup is given a real go.

Great post. 

Exactly how I feel too. 

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

But surely the starting 11 is actually the best indicator of expectation and seriousness, and 9 of them were experienced senior players who have all played often enough at first team level whether at villa or other clubs (and this is not experienced but not good enough senior pros like Hourihane, Lansbury etc who we have seen in early round ties over the last few seasons). 

Also, 1 of the subs brought on was our regular starting CB, the other two were the highest rated youngsters we have, who everyone is clamouring to get minutes in Premier League games.

We drew over the 90 minutes, matching a strong opposition with chances to win the game, and the one youngster we actually started scored our goal.

To go so far as to say Smith had no expectation to win the tie or didn't take it seriously is frankly pretty insulting to him, and has no basis in reality given we took Chelsea all the way and only lost it on the lottery of the penalty shootout. 

• Like 3

As much as I'd of loved us to try for the carabao cup we have to in reality concentrate on a strong finish in the league. 

It is what it is, we lost out by penalty and Chelsea struggled even with Lukakku coming on. It also showed how desperate they were in the end that they had to bring him on, they were desperate for the win in the end.

I don't blame anyone tonight and really we can't when we didn't field our strongest team. It was obvious we went that bothered about winning it or wed have fielded our best that was available.

I don't know why some are trying to make Smith or others into the bad guy, again if we wanted to of won it we would of put on our strongest team.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

As much as I'd of loved us to try for the carabao cup we have to in reality concentrate on a strong finish in the league. 

It is what it is, we lost out by penalty and Chelsea struggled even with Lukakku coming on. It also showed how desperate they were in the end that they had to bring him on, they were desperate for the win in the end.

I don't blame anyone tonight and really we can't when we didn't field our strongest team. It was obvious we went that bothered about winning it or wed have fielded our best that was available.

I don't know why some are trying to make Smith or others into the bad guy, again if we wanted to of won it we would of put on our strongest team.

So every game going forward if Dean doesn't play his strongest available 11 then he doesn't care about winning.  What's the point of naming a 25 man squad if he's only allowed to use 11 players out of it. 

We all watched our first team burn itself out by Christmas last year. Now we have the squad to rotate players and it's now a bad thing?

Our top 11 just played a game 3 days ago. Did you notice how energetic our press was tonight. No way a team that just played 3 days ago delivers that energy level for 90 minutes. 

How is taking the continental champions to penalties not trying?  So if the first team had played and lost 3-0 again you would call that trying?

Â