Dean Smith

Demitri_C

47 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I remember many years back when I first got season tickets for my four young sons. We were two seats away from a fifty something fan who apparently came to the Villa for two things .... a pre match booze up, continued at halftime (he would leave his seat ten minutes before half time, to be at the front of the bar queue, and return ten minutes after the second half had started) and to shout continued abuse at Alan Wright. He would repeatedly shout "Wrighty, Wrighty, you'll never be a footballer as long as I've got a hole in my arse"! He even shouted it one time as Wright hit a cracking cross from thirty yards out on the left touchline which was headed in for a goal in front of the North Stand.

The point I'm making is he was still a fan who paid for his season ticket and was entitled to his opinion, even if it did get annoying. That's how I see points of view on VT that I don't necessarily agree with. We're all Villa fans even when we're poles apart in how we see things. "Vive la difference" as the French say, because without differing opinions there would be no reason to come on here and debate.

Bravo...That's what I call a balanced view....Even if I would feel aggrieved sitting next to such a unenviable character as him.

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Also let’s not forget there was a study that confirmed that 89.7% of football fans are idiots.  

so how would the 10.3% be described.....Villa Fans?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I remember many years back when I first got season tickets for my four young sons. We were two seats away from a fifty something fan who apparently came to the Villa for two things .... a pre match booze up, continued at halftime (he would leave his seat ten minutes before half time, to be at the front of the bar queue, and return ten minutes after the second half had started) and to shout continued abuse at Alan Wright. He would repeatedly shout "Wrighty, Wrighty, you'll never be a footballer as long as I've got a hole in my arse"! He even shouted it one time as Wright hit a cracking cross from thirty yards out on the left touchline which was headed in for a goal in front of the North Stand.

The point I'm making is he was still a fan who paid for his season ticket and was entitled to his opinion, even if it did get annoying. That's how I see points of view on VT that I don't necessarily agree with. We're all Villa fans even when we're poles apart in how we see things. "Vive la difference" as the French say, because without differing opinions there would be no reason to come on here and debate.

Enjoyed that, thanks. Alan Wright Wright Wright showed him.

He doesn't sound like much of a fan to me though.

Abusing players every week? If he was to come on here and say that's a good thing, everyone should do it I wouldn't be too interested in debating it with him. I would laugh at what a silly opinion he had though.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Alan Wright Wright Wright showed him.

Not really, I don’t agree with what that fan did but I wasn’t a massive Alan Wright fan either.  Past history now though…back to Dean.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

See this is where I disagree with the general premise of the way we discuss and debate things societally.

Take your anti-vax argument. I think there is value in talking about the potential negatives of a vaccine that was undeniably, and with good reason, rushed to market. There is empirical evidence that it causes adverse side effects in some people. Today, we have enough data to say that in most age groups, the benefits of the vaccine far outweigh the potential short term side effects. Can we say with absolutely certainty that they do not cause as yet unforeseen long term side effects? We cannot. Can we say with absolute certainty that they are fit for mass distribution amongst younger children, or that the negatives both short and long term outweigh the positives for those age groups? No, we cannot. On the balance of probability, in my opinion, we should get the vaccine into as many arms as possible within any given timeframe, but anyone who tells you they are 100% safe, or that Dean Smith is 100% the right man to take us forward, is a liar, and in pretending this is not a debate worthy of discussion only serves to widen the gap between the two chosen camps on any given subject. 

I would always, at least these days, err on the side of staying out of any 'camp' and try to remain open to all ideas, particularly those that challenge me. That doesn't stop me disagreeing vehemently with some of the bullshit spouted, whether that be on vaccines or Dean Smith. But I do agree we should always try to make sure it is based in evidence rather than vibes. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

See this is where I disagree with the general premise of the way we discuss and debate things societally.

Take your anti-vax argument. I think there is value in talking about the potential negatives of a vaccine that was undeniably, and with good reason, rushed to market. There is empirical evidence that it causes adverse side effects in some people. Today, we have enough data to say that in most age groups, the benefits of the vaccine far outweigh the potential short term side effects. Can we say with absolutely certainty that they do not cause as yet unforeseen long term side effects? We cannot. Can we say with absolute certainty that they are fit for mass distribution amongst younger children, or that the negatives both short and long term outweigh the positives for those age groups? No, we cannot. On the balance of probability, in my opinion, we should get the vaccine into as many arms as possible within any given timeframe, but anyone who tells you they are 100% safe, or that Dean Smith is 100% the right man to take us forward, is a liar, and in pretending this is not a debate worthy of discussion only serves to widen the gap between the two chosen camps on any given subject. 

I would always, at least these days, err on the side of staying out of any 'camp' and try to remain open to all ideas, particularly those that challenge me. That doesn't stop me disagreeing vehemently with some of the bullshit spouted, whether that be on vaccines or Dean Smith. But I do agree we should always try to make sure it is based in evidence rather than vibes. 

I agree with this for many things. I'm certainly not 100% one way in all subjects or areas I discuss. I just don't agree that all subjects require a balanced view. There's lot of topics, that in my opinion, are clear one way or the other. 

It doesn't mean I'm not open to differing opinions. I've never claimed Smith is perfect or has never made an error. But from what we've experienced since he joined us I don't see any need to balance out the overwhelming positive views I have towards him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The word to sum all this up is "considerate".

In the context of other people with differing views, it's been best described to me like this: "Being considerate is the difference between knowing your mind and having your mind made up".

If you come with the latter attitude, the end result is an argument. With the former, you listen with respect but agree to disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

The other is I’m not sure he comes up with specific plans to target opposition weaknesses or cancel out their strengths. Not seen us go after a dodgy fullback or create a mismatch with a clever substitution. He doesn’t seem to think about the game like that - it’s tends to be about repeating the same patterns of play from game to game. At the very highest level, I think you need to be able to do that in the big season-defining games.

He did this on Saturday by replacing Targett with Bailey and explained that he wanted to better exploit the space that Targett had been getting down the left.

Also, didn’t we destroy Liverpool 7-2 with a very specific game plan?

Those are two examples off the top of my head, I’m sure there would be more.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

Given all the conflicting opinions about DS as a manager.  Maybe we should lock the thread and make two NEW threads:

Dean Smith IN

Dean Smith OUT

Then ppl can go to their respective threads and vent accordingly.  Thread with the most pages at the end of the season wins! :detect:

Smith in and out page competition, see which gather most pages by end of the season,is a good idea ejs I see what your trying to do.

On 20/09/2021 at 13:54, Peter Griffin said:

😂

We lost 3-0, yes we were great in the 1st half but TT changed tactics in the 2nd half and won the game. 

Doesn't mean one coach didn't out-think the other. We were on top at the start of the second half also until the error, at which point Chelsea could just manage the game without having to attack. Chelsea didn't change tactics but personnel.

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

well said ,Dave.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

The word to sum all this up is "considerate".

In the context of other people with differing views, it's been best described to me like this: "Being considerate is the difference between knowing your mind and having your mind made up".

If you come with the latter attitude, the end result is an argument. With the former, you listen with respect but agree to disagree.

I always believe, instead of fighting an opposite opinion to yours, which folk are entitled to.....present your point stronger, in the hope its accepted....if not as you say agree to disagree.

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think there is value in talking about the potential negatives of a vaccine that was undeniably, and with good reason, rushed to market.

There is empirical evidence that it causes adverse side effects in some people

So miniscule it's like judging Smith on 1 minute of his entire Villa managerial career. (I threw that out there. Probably statistically closer to a second or less)

For fear of going off topic though as per the correlation I think a lot of the negative Smith comments or questioning are needless nit-picking

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â