Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do wonder how much of an influence Shakespeare has had. We do seem to be playing the way Leicester did when they won the league. Not having as much of the ball but looking deadly when we win it back. 

To be fair, from my memory, this is how the best Villa team have always played. 

Devastating, counter attacking Football.

When it is done correctly it's a joy to watch,

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

The odd player coming in and out of the best 11 should be OK. Not all teams go through a season with their best 11 turned out in every game. 

Exactly. The XI that turned out against Stoke in the LC quite rightly got a lot of stick (including from me), but we need to remember that it was a team cobbled together from ALL the 'second choices'. Any one (or two) of those players would perform better in the company of the first team elite. 

It's a shame really that we no longer have the old 'Villa reserves', playing as a regular team in their own league (Central League, as was). It means that most of those fringe players rarely get a regular 90 minutes in a competitive match, with familiar teammates. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is true - but we need different ways to play. O'Neill had us well set up as a countering team, but we often struggled to break teams down that didn't play with much ambition.

I think with the players and coaching staff we have now that we will demonstrate much more tactical flexibility. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

The odd player coming in and out of the best 11 should be OK. Not all teams go through a season with their best 11 turned out in every game. 

We can only do so much each season in terms of FFP so we just have to keep bolstering as and when the chance arises. We have done well with what we have spent. If we get £100m at the end of this season we can go out and buy another 5 quality players. 

The thing is the odd player  having to come in to best 11 significantly weakens us with the odd exception. But to be fair its probably the same for more than 50% of the league. 

As you say it’s a gradual year on year progression.

50 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When I started getting interested in the Premier League, this is what drew me to Villa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do wonder how much of an influence Shakespeare has had. We do seem to be playing the way Leicester did when they won the league. Not having as much of the ball but looking deadly when we win it back. 

Yep, it does make you wonder what he has brought to the party in terms of tactics, so far. I fully expect him to know how to mark Albert Steptoe in order to keep him from scoring against us in our next league game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It can happen once or twice.

But when it happens multiple times in the course of a season there is a problem. My initial thoughts was directed at the coaching team but seeing these group of players compared to the likes of Guilbert, El Ghazi and Engels it does suggest that we have players who are genuinely mentally weak and aren't trustworthy.

If you look at the game against Stoke it's frightening. These are the players we will have to call upon if we face key injuries, and they should be nowhere near this club.

I don’t agree on the Stoke comment, this was our B Side and whilst there is quite rightly a dip in ability with that, we still dominated possession and had chances to not only draw level but win the game.  Stoke were very well organised and tactically had a game plan they worked hard at, however, frightening is an exaggeration.

Frightening was watching a Steve Bruce side labour to hold the ball against inferior opposition, followed by the usual after match justification of the loss “they are a good side”, “we as Aston Villa have to earn the right to play” and all that other cack.  

Thankfully, even our “B Side” showed that was a distant memory

• Like 1

Seeing more and more positive Covid Tests now. 

It shouldn’t lead to panic buys but we have another 8/9 days to bring in some new players and with our lack of depth in certain areas, we might want to do something. 

If we’re serious about winning the title, we’ll need to account for losing players to Covid.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Seeing more and more positive Covid Tests now. 

It shouldn’t lead to panic buys but we have another 8/9 days to bring in some new players and with our lack of depth in certain areas, we might want to do something. 

If we’re serious about winning the title, we’ll need to account for losing players to Covid.

Not sure if joking. People have gone from relegation threatened to surviving would be good to 12-15th now winning the title. 

Personally I think we're a chance to make top 8 with no more signings and really don't think club will make more this domestic window

7 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Yep, it does make you wonder what he has brought to the party in terms of tactics, so far. I fully expect him to know how to mark Albert Steptoe in order to keep him from scoring against us in our next league game. 

" You dirty old man". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not sure if joking. People have gone from relegation threatened to surviving would be good to 12-15th now winning the title. 

Personally I think we're a chance to make top 8 with no more signings and really don't think club will make more this domestic window

I remember Carragher saying it's never as bad as you think.

Liverpool were a mid table side then they bought Suarez and it turned them into a title contender.

I believe our first eleven is good enough to challenge for the top 6. If we get lucky with injuries it could really happen.

When i look at our starting eleven i don't see any clubs outside the traditional top 6 clubs having a better eleven than us.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I remember Carragher saying it's never as bad as you think.

Liverpool were a mid table side then they bought Suarez and it turned them into a title contender.

I believe our first eleven is good enough to challenge for the top 6. If we get lucky with injuries it could really happen.

When i look at our starting eleven i don't see any clubs outside the traditional top 6 clubs having a better eleven than us.

Your expectations are too high. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Wasnt it agreed by the teams that if the league is called off due to covid that current places will stand.....just sayin!

Not just that, it would be done on points per game and then goal difference per game. We'd actually win the league. 

Unfortunately I don't think they've agreed a minimum number of games required and if they did I doubt it would be 3 😅

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

Think we should calm down a little, great start and the signs are good , but its three games in !! 

Sure some will be back calling for his head once we fall outside the CL places :D 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Think we should calm down a little, great start and the signs are good , but its three games in !! 

I'd agree with you but we just tonked  Liverpool 7-2 who I thought we could beat without Mane but not like that. Was more confident about Liverpool before the game than vs Leicester and Leeds tbh

Â