Dean Smith

Demitri_C

49 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

This is also why a strong start is important. Hit January, covid strikes but 20+ games have been played, it might all end up decided on PPG or something.

Just need to get ahead of Everton and the title is ours so.

2 hours ago, Folski said:

Just need to get ahead of Everton and the title is ours so.

While I love the thought and that were certainly on the right track I do think were all so high of how were playing right now, that's ok. However we have to think more realistically dont we, I dont think we have enough numbers for a title winning team just yet, unless we have a remarkably lucky season with no injuries.

I think if its one thing that stops us so far in becoming a real powerhouse in this league this season is our subs bench. Even a few players if needed who could come onto the subs bench and replace this who move into first team for any injured. We have no big game changers on the subs bench do we, we need some I think before we can be title winners as I'm not so sure you can do it from your first eleven alone.

All we can do is ride this ride that were on and see it play out, I think we will do much better than last season but title winners nope not yet.

One thing that may go for what you say is where we are now and how much hard work our players seem to be putting in. No fear is what our lads are showing and that coupled with that hard work and then added alongside the position were in may see some very shocking results this season for us as it already has. Our players may yet go out and keep chugging along, I hope they do just that. Somehow I hope what our first eleven are doing can somehow trickle down to that Fringe team and we also see a change in at least some of them and they begin to play better, much better.

Edited by Dave-R

12 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

You may think I’m bonkers but there is something in the air, We survived by the skin of our teeth last year and if you look back into our recent history every time we have done this the season after has delivered well beyond expectation. I honestly don’t know what that expectation will be but I smell a top six and dare I say a trophy that will let older Villans complete the set

All last season I was certain we’d stay up like when GT took us up and we stayed up by a point back in the ‘80s (‘88 I think). I was utterly convinced. I don’t know why, other than as you say I thought “there was something in the air”.
The next season we finished 2nd.

I don’t have that weird certainty this season, but if you do, that’ll do very nicely for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

All last season I was certain we’d stay up like when GT took us up and we stayed up by a point back in the ‘80s (‘88 I think). I was utterly convinced. I don’t know why, other than as you say I thought “there was something in the air”.
The next season we finished 2nd.

I don’t have that weird certainty this season, but if you do, that’ll do very nicely for me.

If only he had brought Sheringham instead from Millwall..............................

• Like 1

My worry is still squad depth. One or two bad injuries to key players (especially Jack) and we could struggle again. Probably not to the level of another relegation fight, but talk of top six is well premature. Unless we get REALLY lucky and avoid injuries the way Saunders did with his Famous Fourteen. But that's a big ask. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My worry is still squad depth. One or two bad injuries to key players (especially Jack) and we could struggle again. Probably not to the level of another relegation fight, but talk of top six is well premature. Unless we get REALLY lucky and avoid injuries the way Saunders did with his Famous Fourteen. But that's a big ask. 

With a player like Jack it is impossible to replace them, I think we are prepared in the sense of if he was to get injured or something we have players that can be utilised in a different system. Our play revolves heavily around Jack and what he wants to do, he orchestrates play. Without him, everything changes, but we do have wingers and such to play in a different way. 100% agree about the top 6 talk though - I think my worry is CB cover and not knowing if Wes will be back any time soon.

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

All in all excellent progress being made, I feel guilty that on a few occasions I called for his head, just a few instances of what appeared to be tactical inexperience and in game subs that didn't make sense but I guess he was given a ridiculous task.

I do feel that lockdown helped us and for the first time in living memory, lady luck smiled on us. 

I do feel though if the worst did happen, that Dean was the man to bring us back up.

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Also a big mention to Craig Shakespeare and the rest of the coaching staff.

Hi Gareth!

(Having said that of course the coaches deserve credit too)

• Haha 2

What was it, 19 months ago, we were 12th or 13th in the Championship? 

Fantastic progress. 

Well done to the board who have stuck by him as well. 

• Like 2

Â