Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I couldn't predict how much Cash, Martinez and Watkins would transform us.

We're a completely different team, even i will admit to that.

So you're accounting for them to perform at the same level every week? 

You don't think if we see Villa do well for a few weeks, other teams will nullify our strengths, like we just did to Liverpool? 

It's just banal analysis tbh. 

• Like 1

IMHO if we do not sign a backup striker we could be in deep trouble.At the moment we only have Wesley and Davis, if Watkins gets injured or suspended who is going to score the goals that we will need ?!

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

We have significantly improved our side over the summer but expecting to jump from 17th and staying up by a point to challenging for the top 6 is in my opinion grossly over expectant. 

precisely, and fortunately i highly doubt the board will share those expectations. leicester went from 14th to champions but required all the so called top teams to have a shocking season to accomplish that (fair doos to them, but chelsea finished 10th ffs)

for us to challenge 6th would need at least one out of liverpool, utd, city, leicester, chelsea or spurs to finish 7th or lower. and also for the likes of wolves or everton to fail to break into that, which they always seem likely to do.

i would guess that the board target for this  season is keeping well clear of relegation for the duration of the season. if we finish a comfortable 13th, 14th, 15th i think they'd be ok with that. and we should be too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I couldn't predict how much Cash, Martinez and Watkins would transform us.

We're a completely different team, even i will admit to that.

None of us could.....and hey, theres a long way to go yet.

but,For once it looks like a jigsaw puzzle where the bits fit as opposed to being forced in to the wrong slots......its starting to look like a team with balance and purpose, sure the last result would excite any fan, but it has been on show this season and the back end of last.

Every player has a reason for coming and an agenda to fulfill....they all have an objective.

They are all a similar age, and show a bubblyness of a bunch of lads on a stage night, the enjoyment seems infectious.....and that can only creep in to their play.

I hope we don't set ourselves targets for this season other than the obvious, avoid relegation.....and take this free flowing football and new found belief and just enjoy it.....and just see where it takes us without the pressure of a monkey on our backs.

just fill yer boots lads.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

precisely, and fortunately i highly doubt the board will share those expectations. leicester went from 14th to champions but required all the so called top teams to have a shocking season to accomplish that (fair doos to them, but chelsea finished 10th ffs)

for us to challenge 6th would need at least one out of liverpool, utd, city, leicester, chelsea or spurs to finish 7th or lower. and also for the likes of wolves or everton to fail to break into that, which they always seem likely to do.

i would guess that the board target for this  season is keeping well clear of relegation for the duration of the season. if we finish a comfortable 13th, 14th, 15th i think they'd be ok with that. and we should be too.

It’s only opinion of course, but I would imagine  that the board are expecting something a little higher than a comfortable 15th. I would think they’d be targeting somewhere between 8th-12th, without a hint of flirting with the bottom 5 or so places. That’s where I am thinking we could aim for without a major injury crisis. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You are misreading my post.

I'm not expecting top 6. I'm saying we have a good enough starting eleven to fight for top 6 if we get lucky with injuries.

I wouldn't be upset with 12th.

Fair enough. I still disagree in terms of your comment re strength of the team relative to top 6 though.

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Fair enough. I still disagree in terms of your comment re strength of the team relative to top 6 though.

I think the top 6 this year have a kind of disadvantage - not only is the season compressed, but they have Euro telly games and cup games and perhaps less bias towards them from refs given the absence of crowds, so they are potentially brought closer to "the rest" - We've already seen 3 of the "top 6" clubs get absolutely mullered.  It's ridiculously early days, but I haven't seen anything so far that makes me think "they're miles better than us from any team - Everton have looked excellent, Tottenham good but in terms of team performances so far, Villa have been also good, so I kind of accept @villalad21's point as a fair one at this stage - 12th would be OK for us, but in a hypothetical no injuries situation, our first 11 is not far off whoever will finish 5th.

• Like 3

Let's be honest here, a midtable finish for Villa this season would be a big deal, and we'd have to consider that huge progress.

Anything beyond that is just dreamland and I'm not about to go there, nor do I think we have the depth to be able to achieve it.

We'd have to be massively fortunate with injuries (which we consistently haven't been for the last few seasons, so there's no basis for believing we'll suddenly get lucky in that area).

We'd also have to continue to get VAR decisions and deflections in our favour this season, and we know that won't happen, particularly with (ahem) certain refs who don't treat fouls against Grealish as real fouls.

My pre-season prediction was 14th and I still believe we'll land somewhere around there. Of course, I think we should be ambitious and aim higher than that, but you have to be realistic all the same.

• Like 3

We’ll end up where we end up, if indeed the season even actually finishes. I’m confident we’re a much better team than last season and that we’ll have some brilliant wins along with the inevitable disappointments. Mid table is great progress so whether that’s 8th or 14th, it’s all good. I’m just here to enjoy the ride. 

• Like 4

Â