Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

The only mystery that needs clearing up is how such a low profile manager as Dean Smith has managed to get someone like Ross Barkley to play for him.  I am sure there are some posters on here who can enlighten us on how such an impossibility has occurred.

Oh, sorry, I see I am late to the party.

It has been mooted that Dean can create his elevated profile with us and winning games consistently plays a big part in that. getting better quality players in does too.

If Villa continue on this trajectory, its inevitable Dean will enhance his reputation and attracting players will become easier......but I have to say, our owners will be doing their reputaions no harm too......what a pair of guys.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

The only mystery that needs clearing up is how such a low profile manager as Dean Smith has managed to get someone like Ross Barkley to play for him.  I am sure there are some posters on here who can enlighten us on how such an impossibility has occurred.

Oh, sorry, I see I am late to the party.

I think that argument has always been a load of bollocks anyway hasn't it. What makes Smith low profile? He has managed what is still considered by many a big club for the last two years and had success in terms of promotion in his first few months with us and then in his first full season maintaining our Prem status in dramatic fashion and taking us to a cup final.

I don't have a clue but on top of the above Smith may well have a very good reputation within the game.

I guess the him not being seen as high profile by some supporters comes from him managing Brentford and Walsall before us. Over the last 30 years I'd imagine the most low profile appointment we made was John Gregory whose only real managerial experience was a couple of years managing Wycombe before he managed us. Within 6 months of his appointment though we were signing the likes of Merson and Dublin.

So who would take Leeds signings instead of our signings?

Yes managers have influence in getting certain players, but that’s not enough. I think players respect DS, nothing would suggest that if we really wanted higher calibre of players with being ready in giving them certain wages that they won’t come. James Rodriguez case isn’t just because of who’s Ancelotti, but because they were together in Madrid for a while. 

Other than that, how many world class managers are there? Who would we actually get from the PL instead of DS? There are few of them but most aren’t realistic.

I wont Get Ole, Arteta or Lampard for example who are managing Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea.

You can certainly see how close we are to a trouble run, that some injurys could certainly see us being frustrated and hard work is undone.

To be fair after seeing that display tonight against stoke, I wouldnt judge Smith at all if our first team had injurys then had to rely on anyone from tonight's team to fill the gaps. It's clear that there is still a crazy amount of signing work to be done and that it's going to take two to three seasons more to get that right beyond the first team.

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hopefully Smith realises his reserves are poor after tonight and we could do with further depth in the squad. 

I’m sure Smith has known that for a long time. He doesn’t decide the budget or how many players can be signed.   One for Lange and Purslow really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

In hindsight I would have gone with Jota. I think he would have given us the control in the first half. We lacked this.

I would've put Luiz on in second half but think the Hause injury stopped that.

We would've put a much stronger team out and probably had Grealish and McGinn on bench if we weren't playing Liverpool on Sunday imo, another Fulham standard opponent and we'd have gone stronger with the first 11 but 3 games in 6 days is pretty brutal and we don't want to go into the Liverpool game with key players gassed already.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I am not overly happy at Smith smiling at his beaten players as they pass him in the tunnel. 

He wasn't smiling at them. He smiled at Steer after his escapades up the field for the final 2 minutes because Steer did more as an attacking player than most of the team, Smith probably found that funny, but he was stern faced for everyone else. 

• Like 1

Subs were interesting last night.

He knows we really absolutely cannot go down this season. I also think he knows he's under pressure to be well away from the relegation zone at Christmas.

• Like 1

Agree with last two posts.

IMO we haven't played well yet and are six points to the good which is fantastic. We need to tighten up the middle of the pitch which Barkley will help a lot with.

Â