Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If any defence can defend against them at the moment I'd put a bet on ours given out two clean sheets.

I think they will have alot of possession, but they are also a team where balls just seem to land at there feet and it looks like little work is done to make that happen. 

Would be nice to be the team to come out with the win against them one way or another, even if it does mean we get artillery bombed all game. I'd be happy if they had 99% possession yet that 1% was the run that gave us the goal for the points, really doesnt matter as it's the points that does.

They have a very excellent forward line, yet at the moment we do also, somehow I think it could god down to the last minutes. As long as we go and try and nick a win, win lose or draw I'll be happy against last seasons title winners.

I always look for a win Dave, but I have to be realistic here.....to avoid getting a mullering and stay on track, will do me.

I would ask you during the game to watch our back posts, they are clinical at them......remember Robertson last season, I always watch their full backs target that area................Our full backs need to be really switched on.

Salah,Mane, Trent Arnold & Robertson are the ones that plant the land mines.

• Like 1

I think whoever is our CDM which will most likely be Luiz, hes going to have to stay back alot, our big bully CBs havnt the pace for pool forwards.

Will be a real test for Cash and Target to stop them the wings.

I think somehow Watkins will be the huge difference for us here. All last season we struggled to have a forward come back and help defenders, Tammy did this for us and Watkins will too, Watkins defending could be the difference we need.

Wingers Tracking back, you know Grealish will, Trezegeut also will but its whetherhecan actually take his man on and defend against them. Traore I would possibly play over Trezegeut for this match, he has experience all down the flank.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I always look for a win Dave, but I have to be realistic here.....to avoid getting a mullering and stay on track, will do me.

I would ask you during the game to watch our back posts, they are clinical at them......remember Robertson last season, I always watch their full backs target that area................Our full backs need to be really switched on.

Salah,Mane, Trent Arnold & Robertson are the ones that plant the land mines.

Yes Cash and Target will have to be on point,I just said this in a post after you replied as I said about how Watkins I reckon may even have to do some defending and help them out. Unlike Wesley, Samatta, i think Warkins is more or will be willing to do that, hes a damn site far more fitter that's for sure. I think Watkins for the first half Liverpool may not put an eye on him and watch him properly,would be there mistake. I think Watkins could have Van dijk off the field unless they put Dijk on Grealish which still, I reckon we will draw alot of fouls, which in turn annoys liverpool.

The way to go is slow the game down and do not let liverpool play to there strengths.

Could win it if we keep it together and Smith is smart on the day and Wiley Coyote enough.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sounds negative but I’d accept a defeat as long as we really make them work for it. 

If we get through with no suspensions and injuries it wouldn't be the worst thing.

I think it's such a tough game but you have to go in looking at your own positives. Weve been strong at the back, Jack is bang in form and we look like we have goals. 

Liverpool on the other hand have not looked as strong defensively as previous years.

I'm not wearing my villa tinted glasses but if they have an off day and we are on it, we have a chance.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Terry: After 22 years there is so much to say

Currently tapping up Costa as well. lol

On a serious note though, it's not right to just give any one person credit.

If anything, the credit should go to the board, they have put this coaching team together.

They will all have their individual strengths, connections and pull.

Watkins for example was undoubtedly all Deano.

With success, Deanos profile will raise as well, along with ours.

• Like 4

Looks like Deans building a really capable squad, Martinez and Cash already look excellent, Troare looks dangerous, Watkins opens up so many avenues in attack and knows how to find the net. 

Add in Barkley, Grealish and McGinn who can all pick a killer pass, feck me, this is exciting. 

• Like 2

Getting far too ahead of myself here, but if we have a bloody good season (and all omens are good at the moment) - then Smith for England? Likes a UK based core, plays good football, proven himself at every level. It's possible...

19 hours ago, TRO said:

Liverpool are masters of the press, so we can catch them at the back, just like Jack and John worked their first goal against Fulham.

We must keep a close eye on Trent arnold and Robertson, whose crosses to the far post usually pay dividends.

We need the full backs to be totally on top of their game.

Sane and Salah......well we know what they can do, who can stop them?

What was interesting, was the tactics smith employed in the game at Anfield after project restart. To me it seemed we played a high line with a lower forward press, basically making the point of engagement a tight and congested area in the middle of the pitch. We lost 2-0 but I felt we performed reasonably well. Of course, they weren’t as motivated to get points after wrapping up the title. As a fan though, I was impressed with Smith’s willingness to think outside the box. 

I think Trez starts for he tracking and work rate, plus he seems to cause the bigger teams problems. I wouldn’t be upset to see Taylor in at LB, just for this game. I am actually looking forward to the game. All fool me I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Getting far too ahead of myself here, but if we have a bloody good season (and all omens are good at the moment) - then Smith for England? Likes a UK based core, plays good football, proven himself at every level. It's possible...

Huh?

How about smith for Villa?

Â