Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

unknown.png

Must be really difficult for the BBC to find a picture of Dean in Villa garb.

He has only been in the job two years, give them a chance.

Bsides the picture of Bruce is from his Armani modelling days and the Ole one is his profile picture from Football Manager where he led Cardiff to CL glory. Its what got him the United job.

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

We’ve come a very long way since that night. Worth remembering occasionally when we’re all moaning.  

Team we started that night

Bunn, Elmo, Tuanzebe, Chester, Hutton, Bjarnason, Hourihane, McGinn, Jack, Kodjia and Tammy. Bench: Nyland, Hogan, Bolasie, Bree, El Ghazi, Adomah and Whelan

Smith has certainly overachieved since he got here

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Nice to see.

Pretty sure Ancelotti is easily winning it though.

Two Scousers and two Midlands, Not a cockney or manc in sight 😁

Edited by Kingman

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Team we started that night

Bunn, Elmo, Tuanzebe, Chester, Hutton, Bjarnason, Hourihane, McGinn, Jack, Kodjia and Tammy. Bench: Nyland, Hogan, Bolasie, Bree, El Ghazi, Adomah and Whelan

Smith has certainly overachieved since he got here

Most of them moved on, not a bad job really. Bolasie is still on the books at Everton. They get ripped off almost as much as we do.

Tammy is the only one we've missed, really. I wouldn't have said no to Tuanzebe but he's not getting Mings or Konsa out of our team.

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Dean Smith was rightly frustrated with the players last night as were we, it was an opportunity missed for both them and the club but it illustrated how much work and investment is still required.

Our squad still carries the weight of some frankly woeful players and their contracts, some from previous managers and owners and truthfully some from this.

It is though worth pointing out that it is two years ago today since Whelan missed ‘that’ pen and Purslow told Bruce to ‘roll we sleeves up, take his cabbage and go home’. Two years.

In that time the progress we’ve made is remarkable really, it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone though that there is significant work to be done that will take years.

Two years is a long time in football but the rot these owners and Smith inherited had been festering for 10 years at least. In those 10 years those running the club on and off the field were, and I use this phrase collectively for all, inept.

So while last night was frustrating to Smith and us all we just need to remind ourselves where we were two years ago. We are loving forward, we are getting better and that process will continue but we will continue to have results like last night when we have no option but to use players we know aren’t good enough.

Onwards and upwards.

Well said, he’s done wonders ever since he came in and, of course, been well backed by the owners.

I dread to think where would be had we not appointed him. The new ownership was a huge and obvious “game changer” or “difference maker” but I think the fact that we finally managed to appoint a decent manager after so many years (just look at the list of managers after MON, and I’m no fan of MON either. Dean is my favourite since John Gregory) is often overlooked, in comparison at least.

We should continue to go from strength to strength, as should Dean. It wasn’t so long ago that Eddie Howe was seen as some kind of managerial prodigy and his reputation grew (until his relative fall from grace). Why should Dean be seen as any “less” or inferior? He’s better imo and will continue to make a name for himself and also continue to put some pride back into the Aston Villa name... how fortunate we are to have a manager who has genuine affection for and affinity with the club (who craves success for the club as well as himself). We have finally have the ingredients for success.

UTV

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Well said, he’s done wonders ever since he came in and, of course, been well backed by the owners.

I dread to think where would be had we not appointed him. The new ownership was a huge and obvious “game changer” or “difference maker” but I think the fact that we finally managed to appoint a decent manager after so many years (just look at the list of managers after MON, and I’m no fan of MON either. Dean is my favourite since John Gregory) is often overlooked, in comparison at least.

We should continue to go from strength to strength, as should Dean. It wasn’t so long ago that Eddie Howe was seen as some kind of managerial prodigy and his reputation grew (until his relative fall from grace). Why should Dean be seen as any “less” or inferior? He’s better imo and will continue to make a name for himself and also continue to put some pride back into the Aston Villa name... how fortunate we are to have a manager who has genuine affection for and affinity with the club (who craves success for the club as well as himself). We have finally have the ingredients for success.

UTV

Not just our manager...

Our manager, assistant head coach and our captain and talisman... All Villa born and bred...

Its looking far more positive than it was 2 years ago

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

UTV

I’m being serious when I say this, but because of his accent and where he is from. Just not trendy enough!

22 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I’m being serious when I say this, but because of his accent and where he is from. Just not trendy enough!

He is also mild mannered and understated. That doesn’t generate a lot of interest for the media in a click-bait world. 

• Like 2

Interesting to note that the other night all the players fist bumped Smith except El Ghazi I couldn't quite see if Smith avoided him or El Ghazi did. 

He's won me over with the fact he proved he isn't a dinosaur 🦕 with the changes he made post lockdown. Not going to lie I wanted to see him replaced but it was more a case of wanting Marcelo Gallardo (I have followed his management career from the start) .

Most impressive was Arsenal when he made tweaks to the positioning of the players. That's impressive stuff. That's what he used to do at Walsall and Brentford. I'd still like us to be a bit more dominant on the ball like his Walsall and Brentford days but I suppose you're asking for a lot when we haven't got the players for it.

As a fellow Villain I would genuinely love to see him lead us to a trophy and eventually the league title. One day when he hangs up his chalkboard he can become our director of football too.

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Interesting to note that the other night all the players fist bumped Smith except El Ghazi I couldn't quite see if Smith avoided him or El Ghazi did. 

He's won me over with the fact he proved he isn't a dinosaur 🦕 with the changes he made post lockdown. Not going to lie I wanted to see him replaced but it was more a case of wanting Marcelo Gallardo (I have followed his management career from the start) .

Most impressive was Arsenal when he made tweaks to the positioning of the players. That's impressive stuff. That's what he used to do at Walsall and Brentford. I'd still like us to be a bit more dominant on the ball like his Walsall and Brentford days but I suppose you're asking for a lot when we haven't got the players for it.

As a fellow Villain I would genuinely love to see him lead us to a trophy and eventually the league title. One day when he hangs up his chalkboard he can become our director of football too.

5 Tips To Use Recurring Villains To Challenge Your Players - High Level  Games

• Haha 1

Still 50/50 on Smith myself. Starting to build a bit of a team so pressure is on him to perform this season. Liverpool will be a big test of his tactical ability like making a change when required. Even though Liverpool are class at the moment (kills me to say it), we should go out there and prove ourselves, if we role over it's on Smith!

• Haha 1

Â