Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

We played “well” beginning of last season and got beat

Absolutely. So many times early last season we deserved points and got nothing. It was gut punch after gut punch, still can't believe we stayed up.

Winning and not being brilliant is much more preferable.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We had 7 points after our 3 games in the 14/15 season

Should we feel excited? Yes. But let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

If you're trying to compare us to the season we got relegated, it took us 15 games to get 6 points. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely. So many times early last season we deserved points and got nothing. It was gut punch after gut punch, still can't believe we stayed up.

Wonderful feeling isn’t it, it’s gotten to the point my missus reminds that villa are on tv tonight as she knows I’ll be in a good mood, I wonder if she reminds me for the Liverpool game sunday 🤣

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Liverpool, Leicester and Leeds up next.

Entirely possible we get zero points out of that.

I'd take 3 points right now.

Entirely possible we get 9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 or 1 points out of it too.

Leicester and Liverpool look in form but Leeds have basically scraped two wins by tiny margins, they haven't looked like anything to fear so far.

I think they've actually had lower xG than every opponent they've faced this season, and considering one of those games was home to Fulham is pretty poor.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Liverpool, Leicester and Leeds up next.

Entirely possible we get zero points out of that.

I'd take 3 points right now.

Entirely possible we will get 9 points.

Let's wait and see. I think we will surprise some of the big teams this year.

• Like 2

Liverpool are masters of the press, so we can catch them at the back, just like Jack and John worked their first goal against Fulham.

We must keep a close eye on Trent arnold and Robertson, whose crosses to the far post usually pay dividends.

We need the full backs to be totally on top of their game.

Sane and Salah......well we know what they can do, who can stop them?

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Liverpool are masters of the press, so we can catch them at the back, just like Jack and John worked their first goal against Fulham.

We must keep a close eye on Trent arnold and Robertson, whose crosses to the far post usually pay dividends.

We need the full backs to be totally on top of their game.

I think Dean will have seen things we can hurt them with.....just hope we have the gods on our side.......do you remember the 5-1?

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well I'm hoping the Bundesliga defenders will take care of Sane, if Mings has to work a double shift this weekend we are screwed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

every time.

I am also very interested to see how Smith & team line us up against Liverpool. His nature (and our strength) is direct attack from midfield in a free flowing game of counter attack/counter attack, I am sure Klopp & Smith would love that.

But probably the smartest play is to go entirely defensive and try and earn Grealish free kicks for Conor to convert. Not sexy but more sensible.

I have no idea how you stop Mane and Salah beyond frustrating them or their supply lines, but to give us credit this defence stopped Mitrovitch , a player who demands respect or he punishes you.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

5 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

If you're trying to compare us to the season we got relegated, it took us 15 games to get 6 points. 

He’s comparing us to the season before where we had the best start to a Premier league season in our history I think. After that we had a run of games where we played all of the top 6 at the time in a row and lost every game. Benteke was injured. Eventually Lambert got sacked. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s comparing us to the season before where we had the best start to a Premier league season in our history I think. After that we had a run of games where we played all of the top 6 at the time in a row and lost every game. Benteke was injured. Eventually Lambert got sacked. 

Every cloud...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am also very interested to see how Smith & team line us up against Liverpool. His nature (and our strength) is direct attack from midfield in a free flowing game of counter attack/counter attack, I am sure Klopp & Smith would love that.

But probably the smartest play is to go entirely defensive and try and earn Grealish free kicks for Conor to convert. Not sexy but more sensible.

I have no idea how you stop Mane and Salah beyond frustrating them or their supply lines, but to give us credit this defence stopped Mitrovitch , a player who demands respect or he punishes you.

We have to beat their press....How? not so sure......only chance is balls over the top and runners breaking the lines.

Defending against them is really hard.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have to beat their press....How? not so sure......only chance is balls over the top and runners breaking the lines.

This is why I would have loved to have someone like Rashica (yes I know) he has the speed and ruthless efficiency to make something happen.

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

This is why I would have loved to have someone like Rashica (yes I know) he has the speed and ruthless efficiency to make something happen.

Me too....it was the one signing ,I was hoping for......his pace and quick feet ,gives us so many options.

However.....surely a player with total confidence in his ability, would accept a reasonable salary, knowing when he does the business, he can demand more.

its a funny one this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

If any defence can defend against them at the moment I'd put a bet on ours given out two clean sheets.

I think they will have alot of possession, but they are also a team where balls just seem to land at there feet and it looks like little work is done to make that happen. 

Would be nice to be the team to come out with the win against them one way or another, even if it does mean we get artillery bombed all game. I'd be happy if they had 99% possession yet that 1% was the run that gave us the goal for the points, really doesnt matter as it's the points that does.

They have a very excellent forward line, yet at the moment we do also, somehow I think it could god down to the last minutes. As long as we go and try and nick a win, win lose or draw I'll be happy against last seasons title winners.

Edited by Dave-R

Â