Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, yayoboy said:

No thanks. If he is successful here, I want him to continue being successful here.

VTID 

I agree - would not want it - but, it could happen - it's all hypothetical of course but there appears to be some sort of destiny going on here, especially when you look at how close it was getting promoted and then staying up - always said Smith was a lucky manager and I doubt we're anywhere near the end of the story, but yes let's hope it's at villa after lots of success. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I agree - would not want it - but, it could happen - it's all hypothetical of course but there appears to be some sort of destiny going on here, especially when you look at how close it was getting promoted and then staying up - always said Smith was a lucky manager and I doubt we're anywhere near the end of the story, but yes let's hope it's at villa after lots of success. 

Once he has won the quadruple with us a few times, if he really want's to take the England job on part time for a summer, I'm sure we would begrudgingly allow it 😉

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

It happened to Fergie.....the rest is history.

Fergie had also broken the Celtic and Rangers dominance with Aberdeen and also won an European cup where he beat Real Madrid. With Aberdeen! This was before he even joined United.

Fergie is the greatest manager ever and no one will ever come close.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fergie had also broken the Celtic and Rangers dominance with Aberdeen and also won an European cup where he beat Real Madrid. With Aberdeen! This was before he even joined United.

He never won the European Cup though with Aberdeen, it was the Cup Winner's Cup.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Pretty sure most of us would settle for Fergie Light, Budget Fergie or Fergie Beta

• Like 1

Only a couple of weeks ago it was apparently looking like a disastrous window that was highlighting Smith's inability to attract players, now anything less than comfortably mid table and it's a disappointment.

Relax like. He's got things under control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yayoboy said:

Once he has won the quadruple with us a few times, if he really want's to take the England job on part time for a summer, I'm sure we would begrudgingly allow it 😉

I think anyone can be an international manager. How much influence can you have on a team in the short periods you get to spend with them?

If you have world class players you just need to pick them, stick them in a decent formation and the players will do the rest. France once had a manager that picked players based on their star signs. They were a penalty miss away from lifting the World Cup.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think anyone can be an international manager. How much influence can you have on a team in the short periods you get to spend with them?

If you have world class players you just need to pick them, stick them in a decent formation and the players will do the rest. France once had a manager that picked players based on their star signs. They were a penalty miss away from lifting the World Cup.

Picking a team based on their star signs is better than letting Southgate pick the team. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Pretty sure most of us would settle for Fergie Light, Budget Fergie or Fergie Beta

I can think of someone who wouldn't and would complain they weren't as good as Bielsa.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst we ain’t about to win the league there are some parallels with Leicester. They were looking a dead cert for relegation but want on an incredible run to survive and then had a fantastic season a year later.

Momentum is a hell of a thing 

• Like 1

The only mystery that needs clearing up is how such a low profile manager as Dean Smith has managed to get someone like Ross Barkley to play for him.  I am sure there are some posters on here who can enlighten us on how such an impossibility has occurred.

Oh, sorry, I see I am late to the party.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Pressure certainly is on now.

I think it's safe to say the majority of fans are expecting mid table now.

depends what you call mid table. the october optimism gauge has over 3/4 of us expecting bottom half still, so i doubt there's much pressure at all

offer us 13/14/15th now, with rarely any danger of relegation throughout the season, and maybe a cheeky cup run or 2, i'd wager most would take it

18 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Genuine Question. Do we always train with the Mitre balls? I noticed that in the Barkley training video we were using the mitre. 

99% sure they train with whichever balls will be used in the next match. The difference isn't massive but it just makes sense really.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

depends what you call mid table. the october optimism gauge has over 3/4 of us expecting bottom half still, so i doubt there's much pressure at all

offer us 13/14/15th now, with rarely any danger of relegation throughout the season, and maybe a cheeky cup run or 2, i'd wager most would take it

Then again, upper bottom half still counts as midtable. I think most of the fan base agrees that at the very least we should be out of the relegation picture and pushing up the table.

Â