Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

40 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

One thing you can't complain about regarding El Ghazi is Output. He is the opposite of Adama in that respect. He is a confiedence player who will be sky high after tonight and saturday so I am hoping we throw him in from the start and he continues his positive start to the season with a goal or 2. Great bit of business by us getting him in for the price we did.

I'm a critic of his in general but he did a great job tonight, not just the goal involvements but the general maturity and leading the team as a senior figure, taking responsibility.

You're absolutely right that he's a confidence player who tends to go on streaky runs on form so he's worth a start against Brentford.

• Like 1

I think he works really well as an inside forward. Less of a winger. More of a link up man and a player running in behind. He doesn't do it often, but he really is at the centre of a lot of our best passing moves. He takes the ball plays a pass, shows for it again lays it off and spins in behind. I think playing short tiki-taka stuff might be the key to unlocking him. 

2 goals, 2 assists in 60 mins. You can't argue with that. A nice confidence boost ahead of the weekend. More of this against sides around us please. His numbers in returns are really good but we can't rely on penalties to keep propping that up. There is absolutely a player there but we need to see it far more consistently outside of pegs. 

A great night for him and I'm really happy to see him playing with some ruthlessness but also with confidence and clearly an inner smile on him. 

• Like 1

Played well last night, he even miscontrolled it twice as well ;) 

Apart from his two really good assists, my fave bit was his Cruyff-style pass before his weak, left footed shot - had that gone in.. sheesh.

What technique. 

His feet were definitely softer than they are when playing a VP.

I'd have given him MOTM, but my heart ruled that a debut hat-trick from a local lad probably deserved it more, even if it wouldn't have happened had Anwar not done his thing :)  

• Like 1

He has a role in this squad this season for sure. We've new wide players in Bailey and Buendia, along with a young talent in JPB. Ideally they all prove to be better players than him come March and he finds a new club next summer and we get a fee around 8-10m for him.

Well done Anwar and that sneaky penalty, although a tad under hit was very enjoyable. Anyway, we can't have all this positivity, I think he has become a little tubby, bottom heavy maybe and I think it may have slowed him down slightly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Well done Anwar and that sneaky penalty, although a tad under hit was very enjoyable. Anyway, we can't have all this positivity, I think he has become a little tubby, bottom heavy maybe and I think it may have slowed him down slightly. 

Yes I noticed that too. Thunder thighs. Targett too looks fleshy around the knee up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I do think we undervalue Anwar as a decent squad member. His output is good and to replace that on the current market would probably cost us double. He will always divide opinion. 

Completely agree, as fans we complain so often that players have play but no output yet with Anwar we have output but little play. I would argue that’s almost perfect for a back up player that can come on late in games and nick a goal or  in small cup games like last night to get us through early rounds and rest main players.  I’d like him to stay and Dean seems to really like him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

His feet were definitely softer than they are when playing a VP.

different ball

See the source image

dont think I've ever played with a  puma football in my life, i have played with the good mitre footballs that they used to use and its surprising how different they are to the PLs nike ball - i'm obviously not a pro footballer though

Â