Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

10 hours ago, Dave-R said:

The way he took his Penalty I found disrespectful. Just score the thing there is no need to take the piss with teams like he did when he tapped that in at the speed of a tortoise. Sometimes it takes a bigger person to show a level of respect in a situation where it's often easy to show up your opponent. Wasnt thrashing Barrow enough for him that he had to go completely be a Jackass about his goal.

It was a bit cheeky but hardly disrespectful!  I doubt the Barrow fans and players are losing sleep over it. 

• Like 2

Seen a lot of grief about the panenka but surely football at its most basic level is all about trying to trick your opponent. Whether you are passing, moving, taking someone on, shooting its all about trying to lead your opponent to believe you are going to do one thing and then doing another. 

El Ghazi was successful in tricking his opponent, I dont see the disrespect at all in that. 

The only issue with the panenka is you look a right div if you miss it. If you score it there is no downside whatsover. Also its hardly showing disrespect when its 1-0 at the time. He was trying to win the bleeding game, like he gets paid thousands of pounds a week to do. If we'd have been 8-0 up and he decides to take the pen with his eyes closed than maybe that would have been disrespect. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Lol. 
His second goal was very well taken, a volley with his wrong foot into a very small target on the run. 
if you’d tried it you most likely would have air shotted and face planted. 
But yeah, tap in. 

I was taking the piss a bit. He took his goals well, and was very effective. But he isn't worth a lot in my eyes. In my opinion he is a flat track bully. Good against inferior opposition. But when we have to battle, and fight, or when the chips are down, he becomes invisible. Anwar is a talented player. But he goes missing too often. If we can make a profit on him I'd take it.

• Like 3

On 25/08/2021 at 17:19, Dave-R said:

The way he took his Penalty I found disrespectful. Just score the thing there is no need to take the piss with teams like he did when he tapped that in at the speed of a tortoise. Sometimes it takes a bigger person to show a level of respect in a situation where it's often easy to show up your opponent. Wasnt thrashing Barrow enough for him that he had to go completely be a Jackass about his goal.

He scored and he sent the goalie the wrong way.What else do you want ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim said:

I’ve read some ridiculous drivel posted on here, some of it posted by myself. But this tops the lot.

You should go back read yours more carefully next time then 🤣

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The only reason you are ever taking a penalty in the first place is because your opponent cheated. 

Good point Doug, I'm just not a fan of rubbing salt in wounds if its avoidable.

I despair at the irony of calling the penalty "disrespectful" due to the level of opposition...as if that in itself doesn't do even more of a disservice to what is a literal professional football team in the process.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dave-R said:

He's our main taker and although he's very good at them, he's still predictable to an extent. By doing that he not only scored in the game but is also going to keep goalkeepers guessing in future penalties.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

You can't slate El Ghazi for the penalty. He has taken the risk of looking like a fool by attempting it in the first place. El Ghazi would get ripped to shreds for missing a penalty like that, but he didn't, and he deserves all the credit for putting it away.

If Messi had done that, fans would have been spaffing over it.

And he'd have looked an even bigger fool missing against Barrow... Pen was downright rude, and I loved it. Bit of arrogance, nochanlance and ruthlessness. Speaks of a greater  confidence, and that has to be a good thing given he's  often looked a bit timid in the past

• Like 2

I didn't think his performance against Barrow was exceptional. I thought it was a bit strange to see him get so much praise for it. But, you absolutely cannot argue with 2 goals and 2 assists.

So what if *all* he did was get 2 goals and 2 assists, that is more than enough to warrant keeping his place. The fact he did relatively little else doesn't matter.

He's a goal threat and he'll be on a high. A high morale,  confident AEG is good enough to be our first choice left winger at the moment. Its true that we haven't seen this AEG anywhere near often enough, but we've got to take advantage of it while he's in form.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Its true that we haven't seen this AEG anywhere near often enough, but we've got to take advantage of it while he's in form.

Do you think it's a coincidence that we see this kind of AEG against Barrow but not in the Premier league?

Â