Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

I don’t know how to sum him up, he can strike the ball cleaner than anybody at the club only Ings can generate the power be generates, sometimes he has a  decent cross on him , in the championship I remember him beating his man often he had a really good game against albion , yet he can’t beat anybody in the premier league despite being a technical players, he can’t play on the right but still he has a good left foot when shooting or crossing. Weird player happy to have him as a squad option all the same. 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I feel as though I've spent way too much time today defending him today.

For what it's worth, he wouldn't be in my first 11 either, if everyone was fit. 

But I DO think that having a player who can come in to the team and score up to and including 10 goals a season is a wonderful asset to have.

My biggest argument is the wordage people use when they're not keen on him - have some respect and class towards someone who came to this club in the second div, scored some VERY important goals and hasn't kicked up a fuss since he's been here - yet he's had to delete his socials because of no-mark pricks on those platforms and people are describing him as "terrible" etc on here - it doesn't sit well and makes you look like a dumbass.  

Unfortunately this will never change.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I feel as though I've spent way too much time today defending him today.

For what it's worth, he wouldn't be in my first 11 either, if everyone was fit. 

But I DO think that having a player who can come in to the team and score up to and including 10 goals a season is a wonderful asset to have.

My biggest argument is the wordage people use when they're not keen on him - have some respect and class towards someone who came to this club in the second div, scored some VERY important goals and hasn't kicked up a fuss since he's been here - yet he's had to delete his socials because of no-mark pricks on those platforms and people are describing him as "terrible" etc on here - it doesn't sit well and makes you look like a dumbass.  

Yes. Everyone who helped get us out of that division deserves respect. 

I agree with all you said in that last paragraph but you left out the part where he went against his religious beliefs to stop fasting so he could help us in a crucial playoff game. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jim said:

If that was [insert fancy foreign player name here] we were linked to. The thread would have more posts than the Rashita one.

Some big goals too. That Everton one was a beauty. As I said earlier he’s not to bad at all for a 3 choice wide player. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I really miss the Anwar that wasn't afraid to take on defenders. He's got pace and good close control. For all the people scoffing at the notion of him being a massive confidence player, just compare him on Saturday to when he was absolutely flying for us. He kept passing it back to Young instead of taking on the full back because he didn't have the confidence. He absolutely has it in his locker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I really miss the Anwar that wasn't afraid to take on defenders. He's got pace and good close control. For all the people scoffing at the notion of him being a massive confidence player, just compare him on Saturday to when he was absolutely flying for us. He kept passing it back to Young instead of taking on the full back because he didn't have the confidence. He absolutely has it in his locker.

Premier League >>>>>>>>>> Championship

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Premier League >>>>>>>>>> Championship

He was doing it when we first got into the PL too, 19/20 season. But less and less with time, probably because the step up in quality frightened him. I have no doubt he can take on the full backs in this league. You don't need to be Ronaldo to beat the likes of Nelson Semedo and TAA.

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

For the record I would never defend some of the shocking abuse some footballers get on social media platforms, personal slights, death threats thrown about willy-nilly. Any kind of toxic, vapid shit like that has no place.

I love and respect El Ghazi for what he has given to the club, I am unsure about his continued involvement because where we wanna be there is more to a game than those individual moments and I think we would be a much better team with a more rounded footballer in his position. However, calling a footballer "terrible" on Villa Talk, or in a more general tweet or whatever is part and parcel of the game. If people want to express that view I am happy to take it on when warranted, I have defended the guy myself enough over the years. Those debates are what make places like this special, even more so than the rudimentary confines of social media. But I think it is an indictment on our society these days that strongly criticising a footballer is dumped in the same pot as the genuine hate alluded to above.

Calling somebody a dumbass for thinking El Ghazi is terrible is part and parcel of those debates, in my opinion, but as a general rule thinking a player is terrible doesn't automatically make you a dumbass. 

4 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Man, those stats are terrible. 

Because they are wrong. The goals outside the box is about right. Although I'm fairly sure he's scored 2. And he scored 6 non penalty goals last season. So his stats are definitely wrong. And he regularly looks to play people in. He definitely got unlucky last season where players let the ball run when they should have shot or cut back in when they should have shot 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d let him go for 7m tbh.

I'm sure Dean is picking him in every game just to wind you up now! 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'm sure Dean is picking him in every game just to wind you up now! 

I know!!! That’s what I thought when I saw the team sheet! 

Hopefully he has a cracker and we can finally get that fabled ‘confidence’ which will result in him setting the PL alight. 

Â