Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

People saying he's a "good" penalty taker... he's an absolutely brilliant penalty taker. He takes all kinds of penalties, low, high, left, right, panenka and always seems to bury it with keeper not standing a chance. Surely one of the best penalty takers in the league.

He does have some obvious weaknesses in open play, though. I think at this level he struggles to consistently beat his man down the outside, and when he comes inside he almost always attempts the shot, even when it isn't on.

He has got better defensively, but it's still a relative weakness. He lacks that bit of aggression in the press, which isn't the end of the world for a winger, but not ideal against better sides.

Overall, a good servant to the club, excellent squad option, and has earned his starts.

As we play wingers inverted, do you not think he is told to cut in?

Sometimes we have to recognise team shape, formation and coaching could be why players do what they do?

4 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'll be a bit gutted if we sell him for 17mil. Surely he's worth keeping if that's all we're getting for him. I know there's no room for sentiment in professional football, but he's started both games for us in the PL this season. We need the experienced backup who knows where the goals are.

You can get excellent value for £17m if you spend it wisely. Bertrand Traore and Emi Martinez cost about £17m for example. Traore is definitely a better player than Elghazi, I don't have to explain what Emi brings.

Actually half of our starting eleven cost less or around £17m (Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, Mcginn).

Back in real life, I don't see anybody actually paying £17m for him in this market, it's all just rumours.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, macandally said:

As we play wingers inverted, do you not think he is told to cut in?

Sometimes we have to recognise team shape, formation and coaching could be why players do what they do?

Course he is, but that doesn’t mean shooting every time. We’ve had Grealish and Traore both playing as inverted wingers and they varied their play much more - including driving to the byline and putting crosses in

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I'd take anything over 10m for him. Take his penalty and tap in away and he was poor yesterday. Bidace and Carney were far superior yesterday.

Guess that means Ronaldo is shit too if you take away his penalties and tap ins.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

You can get excellent value for £17m if you spend it wisely. Bertrand Traore and Emi Martinez cost about £17m for example. Traore is definitely a better player than Elghazi, I don't have to explain what Emi brings.

Actually half of our starting eleven cost less or around £17m (Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, Mcginn).

Back in real life, I don't see anybody actually paying £17m for him in this market, it's all just rumours.

I'd take anything over £10m.

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

The way he took his Penalty I found disrespectful. Just score the thing there is no need to take the piss with teams like he did when he tapped that in at the speed of a tortoise. Sometimes it takes a bigger person to show a level of respect in a situation where it's often easy to show up your opponent. Wasnt thrashing Barrow enough for him that he had to go completely be a Jackass about his goal.

81674624.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

The way he took his Penalty I found disrespectful. Just score the thing there is no need to take the piss with teams like he did when he tapped that in at the speed of a tortoise. Sometimes it takes a bigger person to show a level of respect in a situation where it's often easy to show up your opponent. Wasnt thrashing Barrow enough for him that he had to go completely be a Jackass about his goal.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

It was the second goal, so it wasn’t a thrashing by then. If it was the fifth or sixth goal I might agree with you. Even then, a lot of players do that in some of the most stressful finals. It’s a way of shooting, not really a disrespect.

I'd care more about the penalty if he'd ever missed them, but he doesn't. The keeper went right early and Anwar adjusted. 

Let him get his trick penalty out of his system in a game we're already winning and going to dominate. I don't mind it. 

His penalty went in. I don’t much care beyond that.

If he was getting stick off the opposition supporters, he took an opportunity to wind them up on the pitch. 

It was a bit of a gamble, he would have looked stupid and would have been slaughtered from all sides. Lord knows how bad it would have been in this thread had he missed.

He would have known all this and still took the penalty that way.

While he’s not a regular starter, Anwar clearly has something about him.

• Like 3

Â