Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

5 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

You can't slate El Ghazi for the penalty

Doing a Panenka is fine. But the quality was ppppoooorrrr!. If the goalie dives the other way .... it is saved.

The ball bounced in front of the goal line!

11 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Doing a Panenka is fine. But the quality was ppppoooorrrr!. If the goalie dives the other way .... it is saved.

The ball bounced in front of the goal line!

You see the goalie move all his weight to his right before Anwar strikes the ball. I think it was a conscious decision made after he saw the keeper move his weight right to dive right.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

You see the goalie move all his weight to his right before Anwar strikes the ball. I think it was a conscious decision made after he saw the keeper move his weight right to dive right.

Yeah it could have bene a reaction. The keeper may have guessed correctly just too early. So Anwar pops it in the opposite side.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Just now, ThunderPower_14 said:

Isn't the point of a Panenka ... it does not matter which way the goalie dives, so long as they dive?

In my book El Ghazi was very lucky. Regardless the ball should not be bouncing in front of the goal line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Do you think it's a coincidence that we see this kind of AEG against Barrow but not in the Premier league?

I think people are over hyping him and we won't see nearly half of what people seen of Ghazi against Barrow.

Sure throw him against inferior opponents and think he's brilliant all of a sudden, but we will soon be revisiting his poor displays and questioning where the player from Barrow is.

Speaks for itself really and tells you he can get on the end of balls and send them into the net and get a good goal Tally, after lots of chsnces. At the highest level he just doesn't perform as what's needed from him and he gets robbed to many a time.

I'd sell soon as an offer came in, even if it was an offer of what we paid for him. He maybe around for another season still and I'm okay with this to see if anything comes of him but if he doesn't Improve on last season then it's a sell for me I'm afraid,especially if a chance to get an upgrade comes in..

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Re the penalty.

The reason to do that kind of penalty against lower opposition is to keep your higher level opposition guessing. All premier league teams provide the stats on where oppo penalty takers score and where they have recently to their keepers. Anwar gave them something new to think about.

No of course he probably wont do that against a prem keeper, but now they know he MIGHT and the more uncertainty they have the better.

Do u honestly believe that was his thought process?

I feel like the idea that he shouldn't be taking penalties in the manner he did against lower league opposition, should be considered more insulting to them than the actual penalty itself.

Edited by useless

Only reason to sell him is IF we are signing a much better player, we’re leaving ourselves short otherwise…

Imo, we really could do with a high quality player who can play LW and maybe even CAM… 

For many, it’s not a case of disliking Anwar. Rather, there is a fondness for him after the part he played in getting us promoted. Many of his fellow contributors are no longer here though… we should take the opportunities to improve where we can and try to get decent fees in for inessential players should the opportunity arise…

(Any abuse is unwarranted and uncalled for though and I realise it happens).

It’s just a realisation that he is not at the required level to be playing regularly for us (that will continue to be the case if the likes of Bailey and Watkins are still struggling to get fit or pick up further injuries). He’s not dependable or reliable in the first team and is often the weak link in our build up play. He’s too easily dispossessed and attacks break down because of him too often. Wasteful shots and overlooking the better option such as passing to a better placed teammate is often a source of frustration… for his teammates too…

Otherwise, he is a good member of the squad and decent option off the bench to try and get us a goal. That usually only happens when the team is playing well though, can’t recall any/many times when he’s been the guy to get us out of trouble…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We have Bailey, Buendia, JPB and Traore as wing options. That's enough.

One of those has never played a full premier league game. El Ghazi is one of our top scorers over the past 2 years...

Â