Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

36 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has excellent ball striking technique, as evidenced by his penalty taking ability. But as with Conor Hourihane before him, the club may have reached a point where he simply isn't quite up to the standard of those around him. Buendia hasn't even kicked into gear yet and he was already miles ahead of him in terms of impact on Saturday. Ings, Watkins, Bailey, even Traore, he just isn't on the same level as these lads in terms of overall impact. 

I love El Ghazi and always will, but as an everyday player we need better. We have better, we just need to get them on the pitch. 

spacer.png

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's getting stupid in here.

So I'll join in.

Jack Grealish (I'm not gonna call him Mike Klubb, because I'm not retarded) scored 29 league goals in 185 apps.

Anwar has scored 20 in 90 apps.

So I guess he must be a bigger goal threat than Jack in a like for like scenario. 

Jack didn't take penalties either, because he's not as good at them as Anwar.

Ergo, Anwar is better than Jack Grealish. 

Sorry to butt in but I hate that word being thrown about like this, no lecture from me but you may wish to choose something else in future, cheers.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Probably "get the **** off my back".

I think his celebration was aimed at the toon GK as he was making lots of noise and trying to put him off. He was just telling him to keep it down. 

Surely everyone realises he wouldn't be playing if Watkins, Traore, Bailey and possibly even Trez was fit? 

I can't believe the grief he gets when he's a squad player now. It's not his fault everyone else is injured and he gets picked. Its not as if he has been made captain. 

Mind you, it must be his turn this week. Ramsey and Cash were the allocated scapegoats last week. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's getting stupid in here.

So I'll join in.

Jack Grealish (I'm not gonna call him Mike Klubb, because I'm not retarded) scored 29 league goals in 185 apps.

Anwar has scored 20 in 90 apps.

So I guess he must be a bigger goal threat than Jack in a like for like scenario. 

Jack didn't take penalties either, because he's not as good at them as Anwar.

Ergo, Anwar is better than Jack Grealish. 

Finally, a sensible opinion.

13 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Man, those stats are terrible. 

Most of us have a fondness for him, he was amazing in the POF and has scored some good goals… the one against WBA was a beauty!

Some of us have backed him and wanted him to improve. Yes, he’s great at penalties. He gets goals too but that’s usually if not always when the team is “on song” and playing well. We now have the likes of  Ings to get goals, finish off chances and produce “opportunist strikes” as he did on Saturday. Bailey is going to be deadly for us too.

Anwar just can’t be relied on when we are struggling, he won’t produce a moment of magic or lift the team as other players can do… he rarely beats his man or produces moments of skill…

Ok, he’s been playing due to injuries and lack of fitness for our better/new players but if he continues to get major game time for us, it’s a concern imo. He’s just not that great a player overall… as sad as that is to say but most of us can see that he doesn’t contribute enough in general play, loses the ball easily/often and our attacks usually break down because of him…

He is not at the required level for us now… he is the weak link in our play and build up.

Fine as a member of the squad but it’s also worth considering that his contract is running down and how we could take the opportunity to bring in someone better… is it worth giving him a lucrative new contract?

I don’t have objections to him sticking around but also no objection to selling him and getting a decent fee (preferable).

He’s probably the only inessential player we could get decent money for right now… the only other player I can think of is Nakamba but I doubt we’d make a profit. It’s worth making the odd decent sale and making profit on players that aren’t really required or we could upgrade on…

Nothing to do with whether he is liked or not but we have to make these kinds of decisions and keep enhancing the squad as we go forwards… can’t stand still if we want to progress and improve.

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think his celebration was aimed at the toon GK as he was making lots of noise and trying to put him off. He was just telling him to keep it down. 

He was gesturing to the Holte End though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Surely everyone realises he wouldn't be playing if Watkins, Traore, Bailey and possibly even Trez was fit? 

I can't believe the grief he gets when he's a squad player now. It's not his fault everyone else is injured and he gets picked. Its not as if he has been made captain. 

Mind you, it must be his turn this week. Ramsey and Cash were the allocated scapegoats last week. 

Great post except for the Trez bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He was gesturing to the Holte End though.

I think he was saying let's celebrate but not get carried away since the game isn't over. But I doubt we will ever actually know. Did we ever figure out why Trez did the gun to head and silence gesture last year?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I think he was saying let's celebrate but not get carried away since the game isn't over. But I doubt we will ever actually know. Did we ever figure out why Trez did the gun to head and silence gesture last year?

My take was that he would rather die then give up. Love him to bits but we ever see him in a starting 11 again then things are not going as well as planned.

• Like 1

I really like El Ghazi, he’s limited for sure but he seems a likeable lad who’s committed to Villa. I just wish he would perform to the standard we know he’s capable of more often, but then I’m sure my manager could say the same about me. He’s got enough credit in the bank from me, for me to be happy with him as a squad player. He’s far from ‘shit’, and when everyone’s fit he won’t be starting anyway. For the money we paid he’s been very good value.

• Like 3

Â