Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If you told me we could get El ghazi hause and jota for 15m before the season started I'd have said grey business villa. 

15m for all three of them in todays market is great business. 

And get rid of a gormless gobshite into the bargain.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

If I’m honest, I would prefer Lolley and Bowen. But hey, let’s get them as well 😊

I like both of them but even if I agreed with that entirely, I would say it’s just as important we make sure we have a strong core of the players who got promoted. In the same way as if we could get Mings or a CB who I might rate as a slightly better player than Mings, I think it would be important for our cohesion to choose Mings. As you say though, we have space in the squad to bring in others as well!

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

The pound has also been consistently dropping against the Euro which makes it more expensive in real terms. With any luck our lawyers have the wherewithal to fix the exchange rate at the point in time we signed him. 

1 year ago it was 1.14, it’s now 1.13... I don’t think we’re gonna pay some lawyers £££ to save £90k.

1 minute ago, Thug said:

1 year ago it was 1.14, it’s now 1.13... I don’t think we’re gonna pay some lawyers £££ to save £90k.

You'd like to think we have accountants at Villa who use hedging/forward contracts to mitigate against this risk. Like you said the drop isn't too much this year but I'd have thought it was standard practice amongst any big company dealing with exchange rate risks to mitigate against a fall in one currency's value.

I love the confidence he has in his own ability. Whether it's taking it on with a dribble or having a shot from distance, he wants to be the focal point in attack and create chances.

It's no surprise he scored a goal every three games for two consecutive seasons at Ajax, averaging a double digit goal haul.

No matter the league, he's going to make sure that fullbacks are paying attention and if they give him enough of an opening to penetrate, you know AEG is taking them up on it.

5 hours ago, meregreen said:

If I’m honest, I would prefer Lolley and Bowen. But hey, let’s get them as well 😊

Agreed. Lolley, Bowen, Jota and El Ghazi would be a great 4 to have. Although a bit left foot heavy. 

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I can't remember if I said this here or on Twitter so apologies if I'm repeating myself, but I agree he has the right skillset to transfer to the Premier League. He has enough pace and power to cope, the rest will play up in any league. He has shades of Arnautovic.

We have watched him improve immensely, both in his mentality and his tactical awareness over the course of the season. He's not quite a 7 out of 10 every week, more a couple of 6's and then a 9. Plus he appears to be a big game player, he will love the limelight. It'll do for me. 

Totally agree with you here DDID.  Pace will always cause defenders issues and he appears to have this in abundance, plus a trick or two.    People will laugh at this, but he has shades of C.Ronaldo about him for me. I think it's the very straight/upright running style he has.  Imagine if we only have half the player of CR7 on our hands?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Totally agree with you here DDID.  Pace will always cause defenders issues and he appears to have this in abundance, plus a trick or two.    People will laugh at this, but he has shades of C.Ronaldo about him for me. I think it's the very straight/upright running style he has.  Imagine if we only have half the player of CR7 on our hands?  

Yes I agree

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Would prefer benrhama over Lolley tbh.

For me it would be Bowen and benrhama.

I agree with that. Although I don’t remember Bowen very well but from what I hear it seem he’s a much better signing than Lolley.

I've been really impressed with Anwar. Initially i was sceptical, there was clearly talent there but it was so inconsistent. I know players take time to adjust to a new country but i just wasn't sure about him. 

I think the key moment for Anwar came in a game at Villa park (i can't remember which one). He lost the ball, it was played forward and he chased back about 60 yards to win the ball back which was greeted by a huge cheer from the fans. He was immense foe the rest of the game and has been since. 

It was almost like in one moment he thought to himself ' this lot will love me just for putting in a shift' and his confidence grew. 

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've been really impressed with Anwar. Initially i was sceptical, there was clearly talent there but it was so inconsistent. I know players take time to adjust to a new country but i just wasn't sure about him. 

I think the key moment for Anwar came in a game at Villa park (i can't remember which one). He lost the ball, it was played forward and he chased back about 60 yards to win the ball back which was greeted by a huge cheer from the fans. He was immense foe the rest of the game and has been since. 

It was almost like in one moment he thought to himself ' this lot will love me just for putting in a shift' and his confidence grew. 

Consistency has been his problem throughout his whole career.  Talked to an Ajax supporter who said he would blow extremely hot and cold with no in-between.  Some games he looked like a future world beater, others he went completely missing.  Ajax decided to cash in on him because he wasn't improving as much as they had hoped.  TBH, he was starting to find his stride at the end of the season for us.  I think he'll be a solid Premier League winger if he can continue this vein of form next season.  

image.thumb.png.8936699242d44a611c05073d157936c0.png

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Said exactly the same thing today at work

• Like 1

Â