John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just seen it back. It’s cynical but it is a trip. Let’s see if this kind of challenge is ever given a red again. It never has been and it never will be again. 

Should be appealed.

Billing had a similar one vs Palace last month

19 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Billing had a similar one vs Palace last month

You will see this kind of challenge all season and never see a red card. If this is a red I want to see it again but I know I won’t.

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

But I suppose when the entire bench jumps up on the pitch like that, it makes the ref react.

This added to the drama, it was right in front of the dugouts! With all the spurs bench up. 

In real time it looks a cynical tackle, born of frustration. 

Maybe further up the pitch a yellow?  But let's not kid ourselves the club would be stupid to appeal, VAR and the Ref deemed it a red, all it would do is give McGinn another game ban.

He can play Thursday and hopefully a captains performance from him, we are going to miss him, been exceptional since Unai came in,  just look back to when Gerrard was here. He was awful and it would have been a bonus to have him missing for 3 games! 

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Idiotic thing to do when potentially there was still plenty of time left in the game...

If we had another 3 days we would have lost the game the way we were going..we needed something different, at least he tried.

Crap outcome but don't get on his back for it!

• Like 1

It's a cynical foul then type you see City and Liverpool make all the time .If he was running through on goal I could maybe see the red but area it was in ,it was a yellow 

• Like 1

Def no point appealing, they won't overturn one like that. Still I do think most times a foul like that would be given yellow, because it's not 2 footed, it's not high, it's essentially a trip  but because he went in fast and because of the intense reaction from bench it tilted ref to give red.

I'm thinking back to Tarkowski against us and I don't see a lot of difference, but he didn't even get a foul called against him, if I remember correctly.

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

If we had another 3 days we would have lost the game the way we were going..we needed something different, at least he tried.

Crap outcome but don't get on his back for it!

On reflection he was frustrated with the rest of his teammates not putting in the right commitment. Still a huge loss for us. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of you have lost the plot here. Yes this kind of thing is often a yellow, but we can really have no complaints about it being a red, and absolutely no chance is an appeal going to be successful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Saw the red mist as he was frustrated about the side's performance. He will be disappointed tonight going in with that sort of challenge.  I never really understand why fans clap a player who has just been sent off. McGinn has been brilliant for us but he has weakened the side now he is suspended.

• Like 1

I don't think it was a red, but there's absolutely no point appealing it - to win the appeal you'd have to prove the ref made a mistake, which would mean not a foul, you can't appeal the refs opinion of a suitable punishment for the offence, only that his judgement was incorrect. For me it's yellow, but I can see why it's given and there's n chance whatsoever it get rescinded.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Yellow all day long. No malice at all. In the however many hundreds of games McGinn has played for us, has he ever intentionally hurt anyone?

He wasn't trying to hurt him. 

But he was trying to get into him to rough him up, get us fighting a little and overdone it. No intent of getting the ball, it was as cynical as it gets. 

That is a straight red, if it went the other way we'd be shouting for a red 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Saw the red mist as he was frustrated about the side's performance. He will be disappointed tonight going in with that sort of challenge.  I never really understand why fans clap a player who has just been sent off. McGinn has been brilliant for us but he has weakened the side now he is suspended.

I clapped him. Mainly as a show of support for a player who, as you say, has been brilliant for us. He messed up but I think he deserves to know that the fans won’t give him grief about it. He’ll be his own harshest critic.

• Like 1

If that challenge was intentional and McGinn didn't care about getting sent off he would have done a better job of nobbling him.

Unfortunately You Doggie forgot he was hurt after the challenge and went down again. Great job. 

Â