John McGinn

PompeyVillan

13 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

He wasn't trying to hurt him. 

But he was trying to get into him to rough him up, get us fighting a little and overdone it. No intent of getting the ball, it was as cynical as it gets. 

That is a straight red, if it went the other way we'd be shouting for a red 

But these kind of tackles happen all the time. Are the rules going to change now so every cynical tackle is a red?

If it went the other way I’d shout red but I expect a yellow. Tarkowski did a lot worse on two occasions and we didn’t even get freekicks for it. Let alone a red !

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But these kind of tackles happen all the time. Are the rules going to change now so every cynical tackle is a red?

If it went the other way I’d shout red but I expect a yellow. Tarkowski did a lot worse on two occasions and we didn’t even get freekicks for it. Let alone a red !

I think he put a bit more force into it than the usual cynical stuff you see, and if you want to go in hard like that you need to make it look a bit more like you’re trying to play the ball.

It was the combination of clearly not playing the ball at all AND going in with a decent amount of force that gave the ref the opportunity to red card him.

I agree 100% that Sky 6 are probably just getting a yellow for that, but whatever, we need to be smart.

The frustration is that McGinn is usually the one keeping our players calm and trying to avoid pointless yellows. Usually he throws his weight around in an aggressive but smart way. That tackle was silly, and he knows it.

• Like 3

I don’t think it was a red, I think it was a bad yellow. But expected VAR to ask the ref to have a look and overturn it. My opinion though, I could be wrong.

Amazing how split the opinion is on this one, even amongst Villa fans. Can’t be easy being a referee at times.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I don’t think it was a red, I think it was a bad yellow. But expected VAR to ask the ref to have a look and overturn it. My opinion though, I could be wrong.

Amazing how split the opinion is on this one, even amongst Villa fans. Can’t be easy being a referee at times.

I think a lot of our fans are saying it’s a red because of being 2-0 down and playing poorly. 0-0 and that’s red everyone is fuming. As I said before if that is red then I expect to see many more red cards. It’s a yellow card and a word to calm down. End of. 

VAR can’t overturn it because it’s not a clear and obvious error if the ref deemed it a red.

if ref gave a yellow VAR wouldn’t ask him to check it again either.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Saw a studs up challenge from Brighton right in front of the referee. Caught the opponent with the studs on the ankle being off the ground and out of control.

This one went to VAR.

..... not even a yellow.

McGinn was stupid with his tackle and should never have made it - but foul/yellow/red is a lottery.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Nah. You can't kick someone with that amount of force and just get away with it - if the ref had been feeling lenient, he might have escaped with a booking, but there's no real argument to make against the red. There's no way it would be rescinded and I'm 99% sure we won't bother appealing anyway. 

It’s never normally a red though even if it should be. That’s why it’s frustrating.

14 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Saw a studs up challenge from Brighton right in front of the referee. Caught the opponent with the studs on the ankle being off the ground and out of control.

This one went to VAR.

..... not even a yellow.

McGinn was stupid with his tackle and should never have made it - but foul/yellow/red is a lottery.

Exactly this. 

It’s the softest straight red I’ve seen in a very long time.

If the ref gives a red, it's not getting overturned. But he shouldn't imo. It's an "orange".

My main gripe with this - and it has been for a long time in the league as a whole - is that in this day and age the Premier League should be reviewing every single red and applying a ban on a case-by-case basis.

The NBA do it, and the punishment varies. PL/PGMOL obviously have the resource to do this.

Whether you agree it's a red or not, it's scandalous that it's a three-game ban because of archaic rules.

I'd go as far as saying it's potentially ruined our season because of what McGinn brings, which is totally unique in the squad. Not the ref's problem obviously, but it's still something which cannot be happening in 2024 because of default rules.

I don't even care about the result. Just very frustrated we'll miss him for three games.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, calcifer said:

This added to the drama, it was right in front of the dugouts! With all the spurs bench up. 

In real time it looks a cynical tackle, born of frustration. 

Maybe further up the pitch a yellow?  But let's not kid ourselves the club would be stupid to appeal, VAR and the Ref deemed it a red, all it would do is give McGinn another game ban.

He can play Thursday and hopefully a captains performance from him, we are going to miss him, been exceptional since Unai came in,  just look back to when Gerrard was here. He was awful and it would have been a bonus to have him missing for 3 games! 

I completely agree there's no point appealing as they will always just back their referee buddies and he'll just end up with 4 games instead of 3.

Just makes me sick that we see worse tackles than that every week that go unpunished and he's facing a 3 game ban for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

He wasn't trying to hurt him. 

But he was trying to get into him to rough him up, get us fighting a little and overdone it. No intent of getting the ball, it was as cynical as it gets. 

That is a straight red, if it went the other way we'd be shouting for a red 

I know exactly what went through his head. He'd just had a good run at goal which resulted in nothing and he was trying to get his teammates and the crowd going by doing one of his trademark tough but fair tackles. The kind that would make the whole ground cheer and rev the team up. It was just a split second late. So many worse tackles go unpunished every week.

• Like 2

I do think the excessive and ridiculous Spurs reaction (resulting in no bookings btw) did have an influence. But McGinn was stupid and reckless to begin with. Made the decision a lot easier for the ref and harder for it to be walked back.

• Like 1

Never a red for me. 

He wasn't off the ground and his studs weren't showing. It was a late, clumsy challenge and was a definite yellow but red was ridiculous.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the guy he fouled either, he was straight up within seconds until he decided to fake an injury to try and dramatise the situation, which worked. 

McGinn will be a big miss over the next 3 games 

30 minutes ago, Hiney said:

Never a red for me. 

He wasn't off the ground and his studs weren't showing. It was a late, clumsy challenge and was a definite yellow but red was ridiculous.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the guy he fouled either, he was straight up within seconds until he decided to fake an injury to try and dramatise the situation, which worked. 

McGinn will be a big miss over the next 3 games 

In Sunday League, the ref is probably giving the player the benefit of the doubt that it’s late and clumsy.

At this level, we all know McGinn timed that tackle exactly as intended, ie he never meant to play the ball. That changes the offence to violent conduct.

If you’re making no effort at all to get the ball and you want to foul the player, you need to be pulling them down or doing a little trip, for a yellow. A proper kick like that is a red - it’s equivalent to just randomly doing that off the ball to someone. He might have got away with it on another day, or if he played for another club, but we can’t have any complaints.

There was a similar(ish) incident in a Cardiff game a few seasons back, Joe Ralls got a straight red for bringing down Moura. “Tackle” was yellow card level of violence, no real injury risk to Moura, but as there was no attempt to play ball, it was a straight red. Warnock was incensed but ref got it right.

This McGinn foul wasn’t quite as obvious as that, but I think if you watch it a few times you can see it’s clearly not a genuine attempt at a tackle and that’s what has got him in trouble, bc then it doesn’t need to be a flying lunge or studs up to be a red.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nigel said:

If we had another 3 days we would have lost the game the way we were going..we needed something different, at least he tried.

Crap outcome but don't get on his back for it!

It looked to have got the fans going for the first time all afternoon and if he gets a yellow it might have been a different atmosphere 

I still dont think its a straight red and Udogie reaction was an embarrassment but also not one of the 5 Spurs players booked who confronted McGinn, one had him by the jersey

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It looked to have got the fans going for the first time all afternoon and if he gets a yellow it might have been a different atmosphere 

I still dont think its a straight red and Udogie reaction was an embarrassment but also not one of the 5 Spurs players booked who confronted McGinn, one had him by the jersey

Can’t wait for the fines for failing to control their players. The likes of Johnson were able to aggressively shove our lads without any consequences. 

I thought it was a yellow but lets be honest a bit like Kamara v Brentford its just stupid, watch Konsas reaction to him where he points to his head - Shows you what the players thought to

• Like 2

Â