John McGinn

PompeyVillan

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

In Sunday League, the ref is probably giving the player the benefit of the doubt that it’s late and clumsy.

At this level, we all know McGinn timed that tackle exactly as intended, ie he never meant to play the ball. That changes the offence to violent conduct.

If you’re making no effort at all to get the ball and you want to foul the player, you need to be pulling them down or doing a little trip, for a yellow. A proper kick like that is a red - it’s equivalent to just randomly doing that off the ball to someone. He might have got away with it on another day, or if he played for another club, but we can’t have any complaints.

There was a similar(ish) incident in a Cardiff game a few seasons back, Joe Ralls got a straight red for bringing down Moura. “Tackle” was yellow card level of violence, no real injury risk to Moura, but as there was no attempt to play ball, it was a straight red. Warnock was incensed but ref got it right.

This McGinn foul wasn’t quite as obvious as that, but I think if you watch it a few times you can see it’s clearly not a genuine attempt at a tackle and that’s what has got him in trouble, bc then it doesn’t need to be a flying lunge or studs up to be a red.

Do we?

If you give the ref a reason to send you off then he probably will.

McGinn handed him that reason 

It was a red

It was stupid

I only hope we can get results whilst he is out.

• Thanks 1

It was a sending off. At first I thought it was just late but he deliberately swings at him makes no effort to play the ball. 

It's out of character for him but it cost us and will make the next few games even more challenging than they already were. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He tried to boot him into row Z

if ref gave a yellow, do you believe VAR intervenes to upgrade it?

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Probably not.

I didn't think it was a red at the time. I'm still not sure it's a red

But I think it's bizarre to claim it was a deliberate kick from McGinn. He's **** punted him 

• Like 1

I was sat right behind it. He just kicked him because he got annoyed Diaby let him walk past him. I think he was trying to show some intensity and he went too far. Was it a red? Probably not. Will it be overturned? No way. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Andy Robertson was upgraded to red by VAR for a similar incident (at 3 mins here). Key point is lack of attempt to play the ball, it lowers the bar for how dangerous the foul needs to be to be a red card.

Edited by KentVillan

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Andy Robertson was upgraded to red by VAR for a similar incident (at 3 mins here). Key point is lack of attempt to play the ball, it lowers the bar for how dangerous the foul needs to be to be a red card.

Fair comparison. I do question whether this is really applied commonly across the board though.

The fact Harry Winks is in the thumbnail is perhaps indicative that it might not be...😉

Wasn't even a foul. He never touched him. Infact it never even happened. It was AI. John wasn't even there, it's all a conspiracy. He was at Merry Hill getting a new pair of Lonsdale. They've all got it in for us. Big 6.

I preferred this place when it was shit and people just talked about how shit we were.

• Haha 4

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Wasn't even a foul. He never touched him. Infact it never even happened. It was AI. John wasn't even there, it's all a conspiracy. He was at Merry Hill getting a new pair of Lonsdale. They've all got it in for us. Big 6.

I preferred this place when it was shit and people just talked about how shit we were.

It's probably something to do with how we're always down the Match of the Day running order. I haven't worked out the connection yet, but there is one I'm sure. 

• Haha 2

Scottish Sunday league, probably barely a free kick. Premier league game, straight red. I have to say when I first saw the card I said it was no way a red card. But on the replay it's hard to argue anything other than a red. It's a shame because I felt just before that he was tackling and getting stuck in and getting the crowd going. We needed more of that tenacity from everyone. But once he made that specific tackle that killed any fightback we were possibly going to give.

• Like 1

Â