John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, AV82 said:

I couldn't care less if it is a stone wall red or not. Going in like that you're asking for trouble. I imagine he was trying inject a bit of bite into the game and our team/fans but that was poorly timed and reckless. I hope he gets a bollocking because he has no-one to blame but himself.

The thing is he did a perfectly good 'hard' challenge just before on the other wing.  Perfectly safe, strong and got the point across.  He just pushed the envelope way too far the next time.

• Like 1

Stunned at the amount saying definite red. Stunned.

It's barely even borderline red.

Today there's been 3 worse challenges in the other games and none were a red.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Clear red card. The actual “danger” is more like a yellow probably, but because it’s so obviously intended to hurt and not win the ball, the ref had to show the red. It’s violent conduct.

• Like 2

Reckless, absolutely. But from this angle, McGinn is going for the ball not the man. Udogie's touch takes it away from him, but McGinn has already over committed at pace to the attempted challenge. Unai is right to say there was no malice intended. 

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Reckless, absolutely. But from this angle, McGinn is going for the ball not the man. Udogie's touch takes it away from him, but McGinn has already over committed at pace to the attempted challenge. Unai is right to say there was no malice intended. 

spacer.png

He's taxkling from the wrong side 

It's impossible for him not to take the man, even if mcginn touches the ball he is taking the man 

That's why it's a red card 

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

spacer.png

He was never in a billion years going for the ball 🤣

• Like 1

Just seen it back. It’s cynical but it is a trip. Let’s see if this kind of challenge is ever given a red again. It never has been and it never will be again. 

Should be appealed.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just seen it back. It’s cynical but it is a trip. Let’s see if this kind of challenge is ever given a red again. It never has been and it never will be again. 

Should be appealed.

And when the appeal fails the ban goes to 4 games 

What ground is it appealed on?

Seen far worse tackles only given yellow cards but I have no issue with a tackle like that resulting in a red. Apart from that it sucks for us of course.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

spacer.png

Nah - he knew the man had beaten him.  He was going for a tactical yellow all day long.  It looked worse than he intended but he has no intent to win the ball.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And when the appeal fails the ban goes to 4 games 

What ground is it appealed on?

That it was a trip. Not a lunge to injure the player.

First time I’ve ever seen a ref for an intentional trip. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

That it was a trip. Not 2 lunge to injure the player.

That's not a trip though, it's a kick, nowhere near the ball so how can it be anything other than to injure the player? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Stunned at the amount saying definite red. Stunned.

It's barely even borderline red.

Today there's been 3 worse challenges in the other games and none were a red.

I agree.

As I said before though, I think both can be true:

1. It wasn't a clear and obvious red - have seen those only given as yellows

2. McGinn was still incredibly stupid to go in like that knowing that it ran the risk of a red. There was absolutely no tactical need for it at all

Literally the only silver lining in this is that McGinn gets a nice rest and should be fresh for the final run-in.

• Like 1

Â