John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Can we all agree that it's a challenge that is at least open to interpretation and could warrant a sending off depending on how you understand and enforce the rules. That for me is what the issue is. Don't give the ref the opportunity to pull a red by making such a foolish challenge.

• Like 2

Is McGinn still eligible to play on Thursday night?

Does the straight red card mean he misses the next 3 premier league games or the next 3 which includes Ajax?

Just now, delboy54 said:

Is McGinn still eligible to play on Thursday night?

Does the straight red card mean he misses the next 3 premier league games or the next 3 which includes Ajax?

He can still play against Ajax and should be going all out to win the match for us. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Can we all agree that it's a challenge that is at least open to interpretation and could warrant a sending off depending on how you understand and enforce the rules. That for me is what the issue is. Don't give the ref the opportunity to pull a red by making such a foolish challenge.

Exactly. Even though I don't think it was a clear red this is why I'm still furious at McGinn. It was 100% an unnecessary foul.

• Like 3

Watching the reply it’s clear McGinns intention is to play the ball and he is a split second too late, I personally don’t think it’s a red, yes it looks bad but it’s not a straight red.

Moders in the Brighton game should’ve been a straight red, he only got a yellow.

Hopefully we have players that can step up and fill the void for 3 games, which is crazy cos wasn’t long ago I wanted us to replace McGinn.

Annoying to lose him for 3 games, but least he will be refreshed for the final push. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Reckless, absolutely. But from this angle, McGinn is going for the ball not the man. Udogie's touch takes it away from him, but McGinn has already over committed at pace to the attempted challenge. Unai is right to say there was no malice intended. 

spacer.png

I mean you can see here, it’s just not a red card offence, if that’s a slide tackle I’d imagine 95% of us are saying it’s just a yellow. It boggles my mind some think it’s a stone wall red

We have to appeal that.

Never a red.

His eyes are on the ball and not the player.

Reckless and mistimed yes but no studs or high boot and it was a genuine attempt to try and play the ball ffs.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Thanks 1

i dont think it was a red tbh.

nasty - probably, reckless - yes, stupid - certainly.

a red?...i dont think so tbh.

Edited by MaVilla

It’s a yellow at most. Reckless maybe, it’s late, it’s not a red. Admittedly I haven’t seen the full context of play leading up to it. 

Edited by Tayls

1 minute ago, thejoker said:

I think we have to appeal the red card. It’s a foul and a yellow card, but a red is ridiculously harsh. 

No way on earth we would appeal that , it’s a red for me without doubt 

• Like 1

We won’t win an appeal.

Nowhere near the ball, high on the leg with full intensity. 

On another day, maybe could’ve gotten away with a yellow but let’s not kid ourselves. 

Tellingly, other Villa players were not fussed to complain. They knew what happened. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Indigo said:

If a player off another team does that against Villa they're Ben Mee MK2. It was a ridiculous "tackle", he's ran at Udogie, zero intention of playing the ball and kicked straight through him, it's as reckless as it gets. Deserved what he got.

Nowhere near a Ben Mee tackle 😂a dramatic overreaction, was no danger to Udogie career

Rodri made same tackle vs Liverpool as usual

I'm not sure if people realise that if we lose the appeal he gets a 4 game ban? 

Straight red, backed by VAR... We'd be mad to appeal, like I keep asking on what grounds? That he wasnt off the ground? Or that he was in control? Those arguments don't make the tackle better... 

If you have to parse a video in multiple speeds to form the basis an argument…

You're not winning an appeal. 

an appeal should speak for itself on viewing. 

50 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Exactly. Even though I don't think it was a clear red this is why I'm still furious at McGinn. It was 100% an unnecessary foul.

That we can all agree on. Utterly stupid whatever he intended.

Â