New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm excited by the prospect of a new manager but also worried by who we could end up with.

I know the "anyone is better than..." line is thrown around on VT. But it really could be worse than Bruce. 

Meh, it’s got to the point where I really don’t care. 

Actually, that’s not true. I don’t want one of the usual suspects. But anyone else, sure... why not?

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think that would be an excellent appointment.

Obviously no experience so nothing to go on, but seems to be highly rated as a coach and anyone who is learning off Pep gets a tick in my book.

Would be a gamble but an exciting one

I think if we go the ex-player in his first job route then he's the one for me, Terry will get linked obviously and Henry will resurface but i think as a long term solution Arteta would be better than both of those (i think Terry would get more out of this squad and get us close, Henry not a clue, he would need some good staff around him)

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

Meh, it’s got to the point where I really don’t care. 

Actually, that’s not true. I don’t want one of the usual suspects. But anyone else, sure... why not?

Exhibit A

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

im the same, i want Arteta but im fairly open to a lot of people, what i dont want is someone off the english football old boy revolving door

my issue with Bruce was that i thought he would get us promoted before we went stale and reverted back to the lambert years which i dont see the point of, theres a lot of managers out there who you could attach the same issue

I suppose the new boss has to be someone currently between jobs or new to management with one eye on FFP. I would think for me the following fit the bill in order of most posible:

Slaven Bilic, John Terry, Henry, Wenger, Conte and the Special One. ;) 

Arteta would be an amazing appointment.

But lets remember;

We need a tactician who has a philosophy and has the right coaching team to help implement that.

The new manager will not be able to sign any new players until Jan so he has to be able to bring the most out of our current crop of players.

I am nervous and excited and I don't think we will appoint a manager until after the Millwall game.

I want someone who has absolutely no experience of this league whatsoever.

Craving people with experience of the league we are in has been a disaster for us, presumably because you are appointing someone who has been sacked by someone else for failing in their remit.

Thierry Henry 5/2 (fav)

Sam Allardyce 3/1

Dean Smith 6/1

Mick McCarthy 6/1

Alan Pardew 8/1

Nigel Pearson 10/1

Carlos Carvalhal 11/1

Martin O'Neill 16/1

Im hoping Christian Purslow knows to stay away from Fat Sam, Pardew, McCarthy etc. 

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Thierry Henry 5/2 (fav)

Sam Allardyce 3/1

Dean Smith 6/1

Mick McCarthy 6/1

Alan Pardew 8/1

Nigel Pearson 10/1

Carlos Carvalhal 11/1

Martin O'Neill 16/1

Im hoping Christian Purslow knows to stay away from Fat Sam, Pardew, McCarthy etc. 

No Oscar Garcia ?

Bruce leaving was the right call but at the same time I'm very apprehensive as to what comes next as no (realistic) names mentioned fill me with complete confidence. It ranges from complete unknown quantities but with name value like Henry and Arteta to Big Sam and Mick McCarthy who, even if they performed better than Bruce, would still provide much of the same football.

Same goes for Dean Smith really, I know he's completely revered around here but he's not really done anything to suggest he would be a great fit for our aspirations.

Fully aware that this reads as though I'm looking for some 100% fit that doesn't exist in the real world but this is what Villa have done to me and I'M WORRIED OK.