New Manager Speculation

maqroll

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm excited by the prospect of a new manager but also worried by who we could end up with.

I know the "anyone is better than..." line is thrown around on VT. But it really could be worse than Bruce. 

I'm worried about how a rookie manager would cope with a squad that contains one centre back

21 hours ago, privateer said:

Hold on, lads, maybe we are panicking over nothing and it's all a muddled message. He was a tasty centre half and we need one...

so was Steve Bruce.

I would hope we at least take a chance on trying to get Rodgers out of Celtic. For me, this appointment will be a good indication of our new owners plans for this club. A Mick McCarthy, Sam Allardyce, Nigel Pearson, Dean Smith or Alan Pardew would be a big concern.

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I'm worried about how a rookie manager would cope with a squad that contains one centre back

I’m worried about how any manager would cope with this - especially given that Bruce just didn’t at all. It’s a problem irrespective of experience surely?

theyve cleaned all of Bruce's coaching staff out. Kevin Mac back in charge in the meantime

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/10/03/club-statement-steve-bruce

Aston Villa Football Club can confirm that manager Steve Bruce and his assistants Colin Calderwood, Steve Agnew, Stephen Clemence and Gary Walsh are leaving their posts with immediate effect after having their contracts terminated. The process to appoint a new manager is under way.

A Club statement issued on behalf of the Board said:“We would like to place on record our gratitude to Steve and his team for their hard work and commitment. We wish them well for the future.

“The process of recruiting a new manager has begun. In the meantime, Kevin MacDonald, Aston Villa U23s manager, will be in charge of the team for our trip to Millwall on Saturday.”

Id be quite envious if you got  Quique Sanchez Flores.

WOn trophies as a manager for big clubs, won trophies as a player for big club, wont be intimidated by being at Villa. 

And did a really good job at Watford.

Was who i wanted us to get (before Bielsa became a possibility of course). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JT as player manager... big gamble but I don't THINK he'd get us relegated. I think Bruce would have got us playoffs (and I think most good managers would with this squad), I'm not sure who we can get that makes automatic promotion likely, so the most important thing is not someone catastrophic... 

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm excited by the prospect of a new manager but also worried by who we could end up with.

I know the "anyone is better than..." line is thrown around on VT. But it really could be worse than Bruce. 

Possibly. I find it hard to believe many could do much worse with this squad. If the owners are for real, we should be able to attract an exciting person. I'm sure mendes will be asked for some advice. 

15 minutes ago, KHV said:

I'm assuming he'll promote the best u23 centre backs and try and sign a couple of centre backs, like a non mental person might.

went for Flores, but him or Rodgers would be great options - if we are able to attract them obviously. Absolutely no ex players nor any of the useless old guard. No scots or northerners, unless they are actually good.

• Like 3