New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

Would Wenger be convinced to take a DoF or similar role? 

No.

It really isn't going to help the new manager having part of our fan base expecting a world class manager turn up. 

I'm hearing some mental names. Wenger? I mean, seriously? Rodgers?

It was Zidane and Fonseca earlier too.

Think Dean Smith and work out from there. Maybe Henry will get his first managers gig but we really need to tone these names down.

10 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

No.

It really isn't going to help the new manager having part of our fan base expecting a world class manager turn up. 

I'm hearing some mental names. Wenger? I mean, seriously?

It was Zidane and Fonseca earlier too.

Think Dean Smith and work out from there. Maybe Henry will get his first managers gig but we really need to tone these names down.

It's hilarious.

People honestly need a **** reality check. In the last few pages we've had

Benitez
Zidane
Henry (With Wenger as DoF)
Fonseca
Ranieri
Andres Villas-Boas

People need to take a step back and realise where we are. Apart from maybe Ranieri, nobody above will come here. 

To be honest Rodgers is also a massive long shot. I'd say he's the absolute highest we could attract, and that's unlikely.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's hilarious.

Benitez
Zidane
Fonseca
Ranieri
Andres Villas-Boas

People need to take a step back and realise where we are. Apart from maybe Ranieri, nobody above will come here. it's not going to happen. it's honestly embarassing to even suggest some of them :D 

To be honest Rodgers is also a massive long shot. I'd say he's the absolute highest we could attract, and that's unlikely.

I could be wrong but didn’t Neil Lennon leave Celtic to join Bolton and it was deemed as a step up in his career? 

Edit: seems he left, took a small break and then joined Bolton. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

While we are in a crap league and not the most attractive option by far for most ambitious managers it should also be remembered that we are paying our managers far more than but a handful of clubs in the world.

IF Bruce is on £3m/year then he's probably top 50 in the world when it comes to salary, even on half of that he'd still clock in pretty high.

Granted we don't want a manager who comes here for the money alone. But let's be honest, it will be a factor.

£3m/year wont bring in the top managers in the world, but there are a lot of quality managers out there earning only a fraction of that and among them I'm certain there are quite a few who'd love the challenge.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I agree some are being a little far fetched with their wishes for a new manager. Maybe the new owners can sell their ambition to attract a high profile manager, you can't rule it out, but we are in the Championship. It would be very difficult to attract Benetez, but he has coached in the Championship, and he isn't happy at Newcastle with the lack of transfer funds, so there may be a small chance he could be interested. But Rodgers I couldn't see unless we were back in the premier league. 

To be fair I think everyone is joking about Zidane, at least I hope so.

The owners would have to be making some pretty bold promises to attract any kind of big name manager, and back that up with some serious FFP busting type spending which could backfire horrendously (again).

I'm not arsed if the manager is a big name, I want a great coach, just having a team trained well as a unit, that does the basics properly would be enough with our group of players to see a massive improvement. Then some central defenders in Jan and we might even turn the season around.

31 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I agree some are being a little far fetched with their wishes for a new manager. Maybe the new owners can sell their ambition to attract a high profile manager, you can't rule it out, but we are in the Championship. It would be very difficult to attract Benetez, but he has coached in the Championship, and he isn't happy at Newcastle with the lack of transfer funds, so there may be a small chance he could be interested. But Rodgers I couldn't see unless we were back in the premier league. 

Benitez only managed down here because he took over in the Prem and then they got relegated.

I don't think there's any chance he'd have gone to Newcastle if they were already down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

It would be very difficult to attract Benetez, but he has coached in the Championship, and he isn't happy at Newcastle with the lack of transfer funds,

Right, so he is the Premier League but he isn't happy with a lack of transfer funds and he will come to Villa, in the Championship and have almost no money whatsoever?

Edited by One For The Road

It's been said how many times but this next appointment HAS to be spot on. No more short term managers, we need to start building for the future and develop a clear style of play. Please, please get this right Villa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's hilarious.

Benitez
Zidane
Fonseca
Ranieri
Andres Villas-Boas

People need to take a step back and realise where we are. Apart from maybe Ranieri, nobody above will come here. 

Having watched Celtic this season Rodgers can stay where he is

• Like 1