Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

38 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

This man should be fondly remembered in 10 years time. Won’t hear a bad word against him.

The reaction to his one bad game against Leicester was ridiculous.  A player really is only as good as their last game to some fans. Unless you’re John Mcginn where it seem you are shit even when you play well these days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The reaction to his one bad game against Leicester was ridiculous.  A player really is only as good as their last game to some fans. Unless you’re John Mcginn where it seem you are shit even when you play well these days. 

To single him out in that game was poor. But the context makes that reaction worse. Elmo joined us at our lowest ebb for a couple of million 4/5 years ago, and even though he’s in the twilight of his career knowing he will be released in the summer does a decent job covering for Cash. Top professional.

Personally think we should offer Elmo a one year deal.

It eases the burden on having to buy two backup full backs this Summer and allows us to invest the money elsewhere.

He's a reliable enough player when he steps in, does the basics well and provides cover at both right back and right wing (even centre back when really needed). He's also an experienced squad player, of which we now have few of.

Another player we've signed in recent season's, without much of a fanfare, without costing much money, but have served the club superbly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The comments pre game were ridiculous.

The coaching staff have kept him on for a reason.

James Milner is still firing and he is older. Just because you're 30+ doesn't mean you can't run or compete.

He looked way off it when he first came on for Cash. Understandably as he hadn't played but the worry was he'd be a weakness but against Leeds he did the defensive side exceptionally well and wasn't a car crash with the ball at his feet either. I still think we need two full backs to compete with Cash and Targett but Elmo has proved once again that he doesn't need carrying.

He's a consummate professional. Even when he isn't playing he is encouraging the team from the sidelines. 

If he's happy for a back-up role, then i'd offer him another 12 months. 

On 27/02/2021 at 19:44, lexicon said:

Really can't argue for a million quid, can you?

Considering what else we signed in 2017 him and Hourihane are our best value signings for pretty much last decade. Oh and SJM aswell. Last summer signings massively improved us but they were all in 15-25m range.

I thought it was a lazy Steve Bruce signing at the time but generally he's been good for us (once we stopped playing him on the right of midfield). Have a poor run of form halfway through 18/19 but showed his mentality coming back in and being regular in promotion and mostly done well in his prem appearances.

Think time is right to let him go end of season, hopefully we'll have 10k in v Chelsea to give him good send off.

It would go against the strategy of the club to offer him another deal. He'll be 34 in September. We saw what happened after we got promoted with the experienced players, when it probably made more sense to offer a couple of them a one year extension for continuity. I wouldn't be against offering him a new deal if I'm honest but I trust the decisions men to do the right thing for the club.

I was nervous as hell when I knew he would be starting against Leeds, mainly because his performance against Leicester the week before was pretty poor to say the least and he would be facing a huge test against the likes of Raphinha and Harrison.

But he didn't put a foot wrong and probably showed it was more rustiness the week prior than anything else.

He has been a solid signing overall and I do like him, but I think (well, hope) that, a bit like when we let the likes of Jedinak, Whelan and Adomah go, that as a club, we are moving on to another level and looking at having stronger competition for Cash.

That said, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he's here for another year. I'd prefer to see Taylor leave who's actually a bit younger but offers less.

I would like to see Kesler get some minutes before the end of the season, because this seems to me to be the question re covering Cash: are we confident that Kesler will be a good back-up, perhaps in a year or two, in which case it might make sense for Elmo to get a short-term deal to bridge the gap? Or do we think he's not going to make it, or at least we're not confident, in which case maybe we want to invest in someone who can challenge Cash for the spot?

We also don't really have room in the squad size for both Elmo and another non-youth cover right back.

Â