Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

Just now, villalad21 said:

Elmo isn't the reason we lost the game.

We lost the game because players were not at it from minute one. They were not switched on until after they scored.

Thought we played much better from about 10 minutes in (when McGinn missed a very good chance) to right up to when they scored compared to any period in the second half bar injury time.

I actually thought it was just a really good goal we conceded. That happens sometimes even v bottom of the league. Have to credit McGoldrick for a superb crossfield ball from halfway line and then sprinting into the box to score all within 10 seconds.

I actually thought of the two Targett was more culprit of thinking the cross was coming in first time rather than Baldock checking back. Perhaps AEM could've stuck his leg out to block.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Thought we played much better from about 10 minutes in (when McGinn missed a very good chance) to right up to when they scored compared to any period in the second half bar injury time.

I actually thought it was just a really good goal we conceded. That happens sometimes even v bottom of the league. Have to credit McGoldrick for a superb crossfield ball from halfway line and then sprinting into the box to score all within 10 seconds.

I actually thought of the two Targett was more culprit of thinking the cross was coming in first time rather than Baldock checking back. Perhaps AEM could've stuck his leg out to block.

I disagree.

We looked a totally different side after they scored.

Completely different urgency, concentration and energy about them.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We lost the game because players were not at it from minute one. They were not switched on until after they scored.

Disagree

Him and targett are a big part of why we lost the game 

Its how Sheffield set up, especially with 10 men, they let us have the ball middle of their half out wide, it's where they did little pressing, instead they compacted the box knowing we only had Ollie in there and mopped up any second balls, that's why we put in so many crosses tonight, they let us

Targett and McGinn were guilty of really poor quality but elmo was guilty of both poor quality plus then poor movement, he didn't get up and down the line (for obvious reasons) meaning he wasn't an out ball, he wasn't overlapping or stretching the game, traore and a few times Watkins out there were isolated and ended up getting the dancing feet out 

Cash could have pushed much further up the pitch 

That was a game for really good quality wide play and we had none 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dale said:

Was frustrated with his constant backwards passing today around half way line, there were other options available... 

Completely agree. He cant advance the play anymore for whatever reason. Reminded me of Taylor.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It was specifically Elmo that let the ball run passed him for their goal. He then did the "I know I've messed up defensively" raising of the arm for hopeful offside, and then hand on head.

Just now, turvontour said:

It was specifically Elmo that let the ball run passed him for their goal. He then did the "I know I've messed up defensively" raising of the arm for hopeful offside, and then hand on head.

Any why did we allow them to cross the ball into a danger area?

Should attempts not be made to stop that cross? Not saying Elmo is blameless but he is far from being the only blame.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Elmo is not the same Elmo anymore, can’t wait for Cash to be back

This, weather it's age or just lack of regular game time, he's a shadow of his former self. His crossing has been abysmal too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Any why did we allow them to cross the ball into a danger area?

Should attempts not be made to stop that cross? Not saying Elmo is blameless but he is far from being the only blame.

It was a shot that was skewed and went to the back post. Elmo looks like he is going to clear with his left foot but let's it run. Nothing more than that, Cash clears it if hes playing. Its Elmos mistake.

They were all bad I agree. But majority of it sits with Smith. Watching that match unfold from a Vills perspective and no change until 70 mins is a joke.

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree

Him and targett are a big part of why we lost the game 

Its how Sheffield set up, especially with 10 men, they let us have the ball middle of their half out wide, it's where they did little pressing, instead they compacted the box knowing we only had Ollie in there and mopped up any second balls, that's why we put in so many crosses tonight, they let us

Targett and McGinn were guilty of really poor quality but elmo was guilty of both poor quality plus then poor movement, he didn't get up and down the line (for obvious reasons) meaning he wasn't an out ball, he wasn't overlapping or stretching the game, traore and a few times Watkins out there were isolated and ended up getting the dancing feet out 

Cash could have pushed much further up the pitch 

That was a game for really good quality wide play and we had none 

Good analysis, I agree. Elmo had ample opportunities to get to the byline tonight but never went for it. Targett also sat deeper and never really overlapped ghazi the way he does with jack allowing them to exploit centrally. Same with traore. You want him and jack drifting and the fullbacks forcing the spaces to open. Very poor out wide when that was our best chance to pick the off SU with the possession we had. We didn't drag them about enough, just allowed them to sit.

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

He is meant to be a good crosser. But he refused to run forward with the ball. I don't get it, he's capable of far better. 

I never rated him as a good crosser. As soon as he gets the ball in the opposition half he tries to hit a big looping cross into the opposition box that 99 times out of 100 is easily defended. That's his signature move and, apart from being a very poor defender, it's all he does. 

• Like 2

As A.J Rimmer (Bsc, Ssc) would say Elmo is like a blind old incontinent sheepdog, he’s had his day. Take him out to the barn with a double-barreled shot-gun and blow the mother away.

And I’m only saying that because I’m so fond of him.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Haha 1

Mistake letting Guilbert leave on loan IMHO. Don’t get me wrong, I love Elmo, he’s been a brilliant servant for the club, but his best days are past him and can’t help but think Guilbert would be a much better fit for what we need at the moment. 

Looked to me like there was a lot of room for improvement with Fred. When you look at how Nakamba has improved with a much better all-round team, and how Targett has developed under the current set up, I think Fred could also have progressed, and could plug the gap left while Cash is out. 

• Like 2

Â