John Terry

Farlz

He's still based in Cobham so Sheffield is just longer commute.

I still reckon Bournemouth might come back in for him in the summer if they don't go up. Think he's smart here as really needs pre season to get his ideas across, too risky to move mid season in these times.

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Terry is a ' contender ' for literally every job in England under the top 10 in England it seems.

Got to be the easiest column to fill. lol

It's not about being a contender, it's about being ready.

Terry doesn't come across as someone who is happy to make it up as he goes along. He wants to be ready when he makes the decision and I get the feeling he feels he still has a lot to learn before he makes the jump into management.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, QldVilla said:

It's not about being a contender, it's about being ready.

Terry doesn't come across as someone who is happy to make it up as he goes along. He wants to be ready when he makes the decision and I get the feeling he feels he still has a lot to learn before he makes the jump into management.

He is doing it the right way IMO.

My comment is aimed at the lazy and inevitable journalism.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, hippo said:

Surprised there are no conspiracy theories on his compulsive note taking last night ??

Why, had the WAGs been allowed in? 

• Haha 2

On 04/04/2021 at 13:28, villa4europe said:

Again Ill base it on his latest Instagram where it was seemingly bring your dog to work day at BMH... 

He's got a good number at villa, could easily be enough for him 

Exactly. He could look at Rooney at Derby and think I don't want this hassle. 

• 4 weeks later...

Terry says he wants to manage chelsea we all know thats coming but says he would only leave here for a big job. 

Has only one year left on his contract. I do wonder whether this will be his last year with us and then he goes to management. No compensation either of he leaves end of next season.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Terry says he wants to manage chelsea we all know thats coming but says he would only leave here for a big job. 

Has only one year left on his contract. I do wonder whether this will be his last year with us and then he goes to management. No compensation either of he leaves end of next season.

I think if the right job comes along this summer he will go, but he does seem to be enjoying the less pressurised assistant role. 

• Like 1

John Terry has never lacked for ambition. I've not seen him at any point in his career take the easy option when with effort and will power that challenge can be overcome. There is a good chance he is enjoying his job right now, but I have little doubt as soon as he feels he has learned enough he will seek the next bigger challenge.

30 minutes ago, Straggler said:

John Terry has never lacked for ambition. I've not seen him at any point in his career take the easy option when with effort and will power that challenge can be overcome. There is a good chance he is enjoying his job right now, but I have little doubt as soon as he feels he has learned enough he will seek the next bigger challenge.

No problem. The guy has ambition.  Spent majority of his career at Chelsea.   Wish he'd said he'd never manage the Blose though. 

14 minutes ago, dubbs said:

No problem. The guy has ambition.  Spent majority of his career at Chelsea.   Wish he'd said he'd never manage the Blose though. 

Agreed, it's not a critique of him and I don't have a problem with his ambition. Just the facts as I see them. 

• Like 1

I read the interview with him today. In a nutshell:

you  He said the Chelsea managers job is his end goal but he’s in no rush. Had turned down a couple of job offers this season. Loved being at Villa and working with Dean, wasn’t a threat to Deans position. Would need to be something special that would make him leave Villa before the end of his contract. Said he was hugely proud of Mings getting the England call up. Did a lot of one on one work with Ty and Ezri.

Also, denied being a racist and said he had reached out to Anton Ferdinand in the past and via his legal team at the time the documentary was filmed.

Here is the full John Terry interview with Henry Winter from yesterday's Times:

It is early Friday morning at Bodymoor Heath, Aston Villa’s impressive and expanding training complex near The Belfry. Villa’s assistant head coach, John Terry, is in the canteen, making tea for Dean Smith and the other coaches before preparing to work with the defenders in advance of Sunday’s game against his old club Chelsea.

Terry wants to manage Chelsea one day, but is clearly loving his apprenticeship under Smith, and helping such centre-back talents as Tyrone Mings and Ezri Konsa to develop even further. When Mings got called into the England squad, Terry could not hide his delight. “I felt pride,” Terry says. “It’s 99 per cent him, he’s very determined. That other 1 per cent is still influential. “If Ty needs to be told something, you can tell Ty, whether good or bad, he wants to know and wants to improve and work,” Terry says. “We sit down and look at the video the next day. No one really sat with me as a player after games and went, ‘Have a look at this’. Brendan Rodgers was probably the first to do that with me. Having two players like Ty and Ez willing to learn has been really good for me. Terry himself is learning, enhancing his own managerial acumen, along with completing his Pro Licence at St George’s Park next month. From private talks with players Terry has become even more skilled in the art of man-management, appreciating that players may have issues at home, or may be concerned about old injuries, which is why they weren’t throwing themselves into every tackle in training, as he once did. “I spoke to Dean and he said, ‘Not everyone’s like you, John,’ ”

Terry says. “I was talented, for sure, but I had to be at my best every day because there were better players around me. The one thing that they never had over me was my determination, my desire. He’s more complex than perceived. “I’m emotional, I cry at loads of things, my kids, family issues, we all have them,” Terry says. “When you’re playing, everyone thinks because you’ve got that captain’s armband on you’re invincible, you don’t have emotions, you don’t get upset. I came from nothing growing up, so I felt like I always had to prove myself. “I always played against my brother’s mates and they were always bigger and stronger so I always had to prove myself to impress people. When I played, I promise you, the stick I was getting probably inspired me even more, to always prove myself. Terry certainly proved himself, winning 15 trophies at Chelsea, making 78 appearances for England and being named the Professional Footballers’ Association player of the year in 2005. “I don’t think I deserve a statue,” Terry says, laughing. “I just want to be appreciated for what I’ve done. I’ve no regrets. I gave everything on the pitch. I’ve probably let my team-mates down, my family down and supporters down at some point, but I don’t think you can have great moments without having disappointments.”

An hour in Terry’s company reveals a man who has taken the drive that defined him as a player into coaching now and, at some point, into management. The 40-year-old also wants to address certain controversies in his life, including the fallout from the incident a decade ago when he was cleared in court of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers’ Anton Ferdinand but found guilty by the FA. Terry is a mixture of reflective and defiant. Whatever you think of him, he was a hugely significant individual in English football as a player and, he hopes, in the future as a manager. So here he is, sitting in a quiet room, close to the canteen where cups continued to occupy him. Terry joined Villa in 2017 after two decades at Chelsea. “When I first signed here as a player there were supporters who said they’d never come again, throwing their season tickets in,” he recalls. “I’d always got slaughtered by the Villa fans but since I’ve been here I love this club. “I’m so grateful to the club, and to the supporters for accepting me. I just feel really proud that I was part of this group to get back up to the Premier League. To see what we have, the owners, their ambition, the fantastic new performance centre, Christian [Purslow, the chief executive] is very good, and with this manager in charge, the club’s going places. “I’ve learnt so much from Dean, I’ve learnt how to handle individual players, I’ve learnt how to plan for the week in terms of training, and specific training for a specific game in style of play. It’s been an invaluable part of my development as a coach which will serve me well when I become a manager somewhere else. “I love what we’re doing here and I love that I’m part of it. Aston Villa fans understand that I am Chelsea, me and my family will always be Chelsea, but they can see my love for Villa and they can see the work I’m putting in, what we’re doing with individuals.”

Terry analyses opposing sides, looking at how to cope with the likes of Manchester City when they play with false nines as at the Etihad Stadium. Villa lost there, but it was an education for Terry, telling his centre backs to push on. “Pep [Guardiola] is one of the best, if not the best,” Terry says. “I spoke to him after the game about that. It’s tough for a centre back. Tyrone and Ezri are quick and strong. I say, ‘You can be in there and be aggressive.’ If Tyrone does go in, it’s important that Ezri fills that space.” He works on their heading, absorbing the new approach in the game. “Dementia is a big thing in football,” Terry acknowledges. “I don’t like it when they said about taking heading away from kids. Heading was a massive part of my game. “When I first came into the Chelsea set-up at 19, 20, you’d stand on the halfway line, the goalkeeper would smash the ball and you’d head it back as far as you could. Now I’m talking to my centre backs that when the keeper smashes the ball, we’re talking about little cushioned headers because we retain possession. The game’s moved on. “And tackling’s gone completely. I’d hate playing now. I’d hate VAR, I’d hate the tackling. Not sure I’d have played much. You’ve seen where players win the ball and slide and naturally go through [into an opponent]. There’s no menace in that, for me, in those tackles. As long as people are not going to hurt somebody.”  He takes particular joy in a centre back, Ruben Dias of Manchester City, being voted footballer of the year by us writers, the first defender to win the award since 1989. “I noticed,” Terry says, laughing. “I love Dias this year. We’re seeing the qualities he possesses on the ball, once where he took a cross on the chest. I love that.” Working on Villa’s defenders, Terry takes notes during games, and delivers a précis at half-time and longer appraisals in debriefs with players and Smith afterwards. “I’m really lucky because of how good he is with me,” Terry says of the head coach. “I’m not after his job. There’s no threat from me. I’m very respectful. My ego is not too big to think I’m bigger than Dean. I know my position within the club. I have to make him a cup of tea every day, and the other coaches. “Being assistant has been really good for me.

The kids [his 15-year-old twins] have enjoyed me coming into the coaching side because they’re going, ‘Daddy you’re so much more relaxed, you’re not moaning any more.’ As a player, if I lost, dinner would be cancelled.” When he stayed over at The Belfry as a player, he obviously missed his family, but the experience accentuated his understanding of man-management. “Just having that time away was horrible for me,” Terry says. “Sitting in my room, looking back, I realised I could have helped the foreign players more when they came to Chelsea. Some didn’t settle, [Kevin] De Bruyne, [Romelu] Lukaku, they were really young, and it was sink or swim. Unfortunately for them we had such a good team they sunk a little bit. I look back and think, ‘Could I have done more as captain?’ ” He mines the quarry of his playing career for nuggets to help his managerial development. “When José Mourinho first came to Chelsea, he’d be in at 8am, putting the cones out, putting the balls down, making sure that drinks were there, the bibs are lined out. I made notes about what he said in team meetings, what he did in training sessions. I learnt so much from him. “These are bits you pick up from top managers like Mourinho. He always said to me and Gaz [Gary Cahill], with five minutes to go, if we were winning 1-0 and the cross comes in, both go for a header, but both go down after. If you both go down you don’t have to come off the pitch. Gaz and me didn’t know about this rule. “So this cross comes in, we go up for a header, we both go down, the ref blows the whistle and I said, ‘You all right Gaz?’. ‘Yes.’ ‘Stay down.’ The ref comes over, ‘You both have to go off the pitch’. ‘No, you don’t, this is the rule.’ The ref goes, ‘Yeah, you’re right.’ Mourinho was so far ahead of the game. It ran the clock down. That can win or lose you games. “Some managers I look back at and go, ‘I wouldn’t do it that way.’ Rafa [Benítez] never spoke to me. The team would go up and I’d be left out. Players want to be told. They don’t want to be told in a group, or flip that chart over and you’re not in the team. It’s a kick in the belly. I always trained hard and gave Rafa everything but he never told me why I wasn’t in the team. So how am I supposed to get in the team if I don’t know what he wants me to improve? When I’m a manager I want to tell players.”

Even chastening experiences are drawn upon, moulding the future manager. “My ambition is very, very clear. There’s an end goal for me and that’s managing Chelsea Football Club. My team will be winning — hopefully — very honest, very organised, very well drilled, very well prepared and with a back four. “I look at Lamps [Frank Lampard] and Stevie [Gerrard] and the success they’ve both had. Lamps in his first season at Chelsea, and what Stevie’s done up at Rangers is unbelievable. l probably wasn’t ready to go into coaching then. I am now. But I’m not just going to jump into anything. I’ve turned down two jobs since I’ve been here.” Who? “Decent-sized clubs. But it’s going to take something special for me to leave here. I’ve got one more year left at Villa. I’m in a privileged position because I’m in no rush. I want to be a No 1 but I’ll get there at some point. “I miss the buzz of playing and being in coaching or management is the closest I’m going to get to that. When I played, I loved the feeling of me against the world. I loved that I was loved by Chelsea and probably hated by supporters of most clubs in the league. Now I’ve retired, I definitely see it on the streets, and on social media people go, ‘I hated you as a player but would have loved you in our team.’ Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham fans. Actually being appreciated for what I did as a player, I come away going, ‘That’s all I ask for.’ “Naturally, I’m always going to hate Tottenham. I’d like to think Tottenham will always hate me. In the dressing room of my last game for Chelsea, I’d say 50 per cent of that speech to the players was about Tottenham and never letting them in my life win anything and knowing the importance of that rivalry between the two clubs. That was passed on to me from Dennis Wise and hopefully César [Azpilicueta] still has those conversations with the players. Terry had a brisk exchange with Spurs fans the other night at their stadium. “There was a bit between myself and Spurs [supporters], they giving me a bit of stick, and me talking about the trophies. But I think they’ve got a great squad of players, a beautiful stadium, and they could be going places if they get things right. Do I want them to? No. But I’m in a completely different position now, it’s not me against the world. I appreciate what other teams have got.” What happens if Spurs offer you the managerial vacancy? “Never take it. Never. Spurs is the only one I wouldn’t take. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be welcome at West Ham too.”

He will be in Portugal when the Champions League final, between Chelsea and Manchester City, takes place in Porto at the weekend. “[I’ll be] on holiday. I won’t be at the game. It’s a huge moment for the club. It’s very disappointing what’s happened to Frank. The respect he has for Thomas [Tuchel] and reaching out to him is Lamps all over. As a Chelsea man, I naturally want Chelsea to win the Champions League. Frank was a big part of that. The group he had was incredible, look at Mason [Mount] and Reece James and where they are, that was down to Frank. Thomas has thanked Frank for that.”

And so, finally, to Anton Ferdinand’s documentary, Football, Racism and Me (which, full disclosure, this reporter contributed to). It revolved around the events of October 23, 2011, when Terry was accused of calling the QPR defender a “f***ing black c***”. Terry was charged by the CPS for using racist language and cleared, and then subsequently charged by the FA, found guilty and punished with a four-game ban and £220,000 fine. A central point of Ferdinand’s film was that he asked Terry to offer some explanation. “It’s disappointing to read and hear that I’ve never reached out,” Terry replies. “I tried to phone Rio [Anton’s brother] and Anton on numerous occasions, literally the same night [as the game], the day after and that week after the incident. Then about three, four years ago I see Rio on the beach in Dubai, so I approached him and said, ‘Have you got five minutes? I’d like to talk to you.’ He was like, ‘I don’t want to talk to you, JT.’ I was prepared to address the issue. “I tried to phone Anton, Rio and his agent, Jamie Moralee. And in the lead-up to the programme my legal team had contact with the producers with the view to communicate but they were very evasive with the content and what they were trying to achieve. It was a lot bigger than it should have been for me. We could have dealt with the issue. I was very keen to get that done.” Was he racist? “No, I’m not. Racism is unacceptable. It’s been ten years now, then to see the documentary and being made to look the bad guy in there . . . It’s done. There’s a line in the sand drawn. Do I regret what happened? Anton can have his opinion. You’ll have yours. My opinion is very clear, I was not guilty in the court of law which is the biggest form of our law in our country. No higher. “I was prepared to go to the Euros [in 2012] on the basis that when found not guilty [in court] the FA would follow suit and that would be the end of it. I went to the Euros, had a fantastic tournament individually, came back, found not guilty, only to receive a phone call to say that the FA was now proceeding.” So he retired from England duty. “I was getting more angry with how I was dealt with. I can’t give everything to the FA that haven’t given me everything, so that’s why I decided to retire. England was everything to me. That’s the only regret, that I didn’t reach 100 caps [he has 78], because I would have very comfortably reached it and that’s one thing that I’m missing from my trophy collection, the gold cap. “When you see Lamps there with his kids [celebrating his 100th cap at Wembley], I’m going, ‘I’ve missed an opportunity there with my kids.’ ” Any sympathy for Anton? “Yes. Of course. He’s had some tough times but I’ve also had some tough times."

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Straggler said:

There is no rush for him. His kids are still only 15 and being an assistant manager will leave him with a lot more time for them. Could see him waiting for them to head off to uni before taking on a more intensive job. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

There is no rush for him. His kids are still only 15 and being an assistant manager will leave him with a lot more time for them. Could see him waiting for them to head off to uni before taking on a more intensive job. 

Me too

the interesting thing could be where dean smith is at that point

being an nfl fan the watching tape stuff is interesting too, it seems so obvious and it’s a huge part of their coaching but you never really here much about it in the PL

Â