John Terry

Farlz

My worry isn't with Terry leaving, it's that he takes our best young first-team coaches with him. The lads you see warming the side up before every match and who will be doing a large part of drills in the week.

Going off to be an assistant manager and sole first-team coach will be a big step up for them. And a loss for us.

Gerrard did exactly that with Rangers bringing a load of good coaches with him from Liverpool's youth team.

On 11/02/2021 at 11:43, TRO said:

He needs to go somewhere, where he can build a culture and has the backing to do so.....just like Dean has done.

That needs time and patience, not being thrown in to the lions den for promotion.

this is the problem, the average manager span has cut drastically in recent times. Dean is currently the 8th longest serving Premier League manager and he has been here less than 2 and a half years. If we were in the Championship he would be the 6th longest serving manager 

Is no time for managers now

Terry is going to learn more exactly where he is and the opportunities that will come with remaining at Villa. He’s only 2.5 years into coaching, far too many rush their apprenticeship and get found out. 

Some will say he would want the Chelsea job some day, but personally think it would be a big noose around his neck. Can see him being the Villa manager one day, but he still has a lot to learn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

My worry isn't with Terry leaving, it's that he takes our best young first-team coaches with him. The lads you see warming the side up before every match and who will be doing a large part of drills in the week.

Going off to be an assistant manager and sole first-team coach will be a big step up for them. And a loss for us.

Gerrard did exactly that with Rangers bringing a load of good coaches with him from Liverpool's youth team.

On the flip side (considering the money Terry is probably on) I think we'd be able to replace him with a really quality young coach. I like what Brentford did with Frank, getting in someone with a few years managerial experience who is happy to grow as part of a team and can step into the job if needed after a while.

He has really helped the mentality of the players, but I don't think that would suddenly disappear with him leaving.

Our young coaches would be mad to follow Terry to a championship job unless they are the 1 he picks as his assistant. For the others they are working at a club on the up with Terry likely to leave in the next few years and ROK approaching retirement leaving spaces on the senior coaching team.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There was talk of Celtic this week, which might be a better option than Bournemouth - I mean, you're pretty much guaranteed to win a lot of games and it's easier to look good as a manager at one of the bigot factories.

Be odd to see a Liverpool legend at Rangers and a Chelsea legend at Celtic though.

Christ. Celtic would be a worse move than Bournemouth. The way that the club has been ran over the last few years is shambolic. They’ve only won the league by default as Rangers had to start all over again.

Rangers will win the SPL for the next 2 seasons easy because Celtic will have to overhaul how they do things. It will be more than that if Celtic don’t get their act together. 

36 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd be amazed if Celtic had Terry managing their club, he's the wrong nationality. That's how they think unfortunately!

What nationality do you need to be?

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

What nationality do you need to be?

Anyone but English I'd attest. Living in Scotland and seeing their bigotry disgusts me.

I just cannot see his Englishness (Cockney geezer) being to their liking.

Mowbray was a Northerner, and practically Scottish as it is 😁 

Anyway f*** them, their horrible kit and the cesspit of a stadium.

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Anyone but English I'd attest. Living in Scotland and seeing their bigotry disgusts me.

I just cannot see his Englishness (Cockney geezer) being to their liking.

Mowbray was a Northerner, and practically Scottish as it is 😁 

Anyway f*** them, their horrible kit and the cesspit of a stadium.

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

I'll take your word for it so seen as you live there. I always got the impression from the scottish people that I met that they were fairly welcoming. Come to think of it now, I mainly chatted to them about rugby although there was one guy who was a Dundee (not United) fan. Maybe the old firm football fans are a different breed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think this would be a dreadful first job for him, really.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/john-terry-sheffield-united-radar-23846896

John Terry has emerged as a contender for the vacant Sheffield United manager’s job.

The Blades are searching for a high-profile boss after parting company with Chris Wilder last month.

And former Chelsea and England captain Terry, who has made no secret of his desire to move into management, is on their radar.

The 40-year-old joined Dean Smith’s backroom team at Aston Villa in October 2018 and helped them win promotion from the Championship that season via the play-offs.

The experience he gained then appeals to Bramall Lane bigwigs, who want to push for an immediate return to the Premier League next season with the club on the brink of relegation from the top flight this time out.

i suspect he will look to move on in the summer. Fair play to him, taking to years to just learn and study. Imagine the experience he gained last year and then also getting to be part of a team trying to imporve and progress. Hes got to work with someone like Grealish at the top of his game, hes got to work with a back 4 that needed to be stablilised. All without the intense pressure that being the main man brings. I wish more players would do the same, Lampard would i think have benefitted hugely with a similar approach.

On 13/02/2021 at 22:13, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Some are, it's like anywhere there are good people.

I just have met many Celtic fans and they are highly annoying.

Ditto Rangers - both clubs are just vile. 

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Ditto Rangers - both clubs are just vile. 

I think this can be a trait of many successful club's supporters??

We are just fortunate at the Villa to have never been spoilt by consistent footballing success!!🙄

On 13/02/2021 at 11:39, Zatman said:

this is the problem, the average manager span has cut drastically in recent times. Dean is currently the 8th longest serving Premier League manager and he has been here less than 2 and a half years. If we were in the Championship he would be the 6th longest serving manager 

Is no time for managers now

It's a perfect time for managers. They get sacked, get a shitload of compo, and get another job. Rinse and repeat until it's time to become a TV pundit. Lovely jubbly. 

• Like 1

Â