John Terry

Farlz

On 07/02/2021 at 15:15, villan-scott said:

D973-F09-F-A879-4-EC9-8747-4-E4242-B698-

Dog walk and bacon sarnie in Sandbanks. I’m no Poirot but isn’t that south coast near Bournemouth? The jacket is Sandbanks brand of you click the @. Coincidence or on the wind up?

sandbanks is Jamie Redknapp’s coat brand.

On 07/02/2021 at 16:15, villan-scott said:

D973-F09-F-A879-4-EC9-8747-4-E4242-B698-

Dog walk and bacon sarnie in Sandbanks. I’m no Poirot but isn’t that south coast near Bournemouth? The jacket is Sandbanks brand of you click the @. Coincidence or on the wind up?

Yep. Right by Bomo. I think at one stage it had some of the highest priced real estate in the world. It's a nice beach.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

tough gig for a first job. target will be promotion this season, he'll be out the door if he fails.

Yep, with a club that has been over-achieving for years. I think it's a recipe for disaster and certainly not the job for a first-timer. First time jobs need to be a little less risky than that because they'll affect your prospects for future roles in the short to midterm. If that goes wrong he could be tarnished before he's got going.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep, with a club that has been over-achieving for years. I think it's a recipe for disaster and certainly not the job for a first-timer. First time jobs need to be a little less risky than that because they'll affect your prospects for future roles in the short to midterm. If that goes wrong he could be tarnished before he's got going.

Depends on how badly it goes. Lampard failed to get Derby promoted and got rewarded with the Chelsea job. Bournemouth might have slightly higher expectations than Derby but I'd imagine Derby had aspirations of getting promoted as well.

On the other hand if it goes well then his reputation will climb.

The likes of JT and Lampard will find it easy to get those first couple of jobs just like Keane did. It's when it goes south at two or three clubs that it becomes more difficult to rely on the reputation that they had as players.

Edited by sparrow1988

13 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Depends on how badly it goes. Lampard failed to get Derby promoted and got rewarded with the Chelsea job. Bournemouth might have slightly higher expectations than Derby but I'd imagine Derby had aspirations of getting promoted as well.

On the other hand if it goes well then his reputation will climb.

The likes of JT and Lampard will find it easy to get those first couple of jobs just like Keane did. It's when it goes south at two or three clubs that it becomes more difficult to rely on the reputation that they had as players.

Obviously it depends. Everything depends. The point is this is a high risk low reward job and that's not a good combination for a first time job. It's low reward relatively speaking because Bournemouth will expect promotion or to be very very close to promotion. So any success will be 'what we expected' and any failure will be on him.  They're one of, if not the smallest club in the Championship in terms of usual revenue stream (parachute payments notwithstanding). * Wycombe/Rotherham may be smaller, I dunno.

I just think over a long enough timescale teams tend to eventually gravitate back towards where they sit in the overall footballing hierarchy and Bournemouth might be on a course correction at the moment. He's hopping on an escalator that's travelling in the wrong direction and might be going in that direction for quite a while yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Woodgate has won two out of two, including a Premier league scalp - you'd think they'd give him another couple of games just in case?

you'd think wouldn't you? and i'm sure they're considering it, but it's head vs heart i guess. he just got them into the FA cup quarter final for the first time in a gazillion years but i'm sure they're still evaluating who the best person for the job long term is.

i'm surprised JT is looking to go already though. we're on the up and he's a major factor in that. surely he wants to continue the journey with villa for a bit longer?

or he's just well sick of the M40...i can sympathise there.

It's a bit of a coincidence that Harry Rednapp tout's John Terry for the Bournmouth job.. a week later joins Woodgate as an assistant at Bournemouth, and now Terry has an interview for the managers role at Bournemouth.

Fwiw, I think JT would do okay with Harry as an assistant but it would be a big risk without him for his first stint as a manager.

Atleast Smith has said he won't stand in JT's way if he decides to leave.

17 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Good luck to him if he gets it. I'm a villa fan though and more invested in us going forward than i am John Terry's career. We'll move on sharpish and keep the eye on the next game.

Yeah, I’d be disappointed if he goes but I’d wish him well. That said, if it looks like having an extra man on the coaching team has been a bonus this season then I hope we’re lining up a replacement in preparation for his departure. 

I also think even if he doesn’t get the job he needs to leave us at the end of the season anyway. I absolutely don’t blame him for wanting to take the next step but we’re not here to provide him with a cushy little number whilst he permanently job hunts elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

Obviously it depends. Everything depends. The point is this is a high risk low reward job and that's not a good combination for a first time job. It's low reward relatively speaking because Bournemouth will expect promotion or to be very very close to promotion. So any success will be 'what we expected' and any failure will be on him.  They're one of, if not the smallest club in the Championship in terms of usual revenue stream (parachute payments notwithstanding). * Wycombe/Rotherham may be smaller, I dunno.

I just think over a long enough timescale teams tend to eventually gravitate back towards where they sit in the overall footballing hierarchy and Bournemouth might be on a course correction at the moment. He's hopping on an escalator that's travelling in the wrong direction and might be going in that direction for quite a while yet.

I agree with that. However, I think that a lot of people already see Bournemouth as overachievers, at least when they were in the PL. Just think of the praise that Eddie Howe received for bringing them up, playing the way they did. I don't think that I ever heard the phrase "Bournemouth belong at this level" in relation to the PL. The narrative was always they're overachieving and Howe was seen as the second coming of Christ in some people's eyes (belongs at a big club, give him the England job etc.). The amount of money that they were throwing around was never really mentioned.

I think that if JT goes there and gets them promoted then it will be again seen - by the media and the general football audience - as overachievement for Bournemouth (maybe not from the board itself) as they don't really belong in the upper echelons of the football hierarchy. I don't think that, in the case that they don't or he doesn't succeed, his reputation will take a massive hit unless it is an undeniably catastrophic failure.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks he won’t go? He has most likely been interviewed or approached for most vacancies we just don’t know about. Plus it’s Sky Sports who run a betting company which include odds on next manager markets. 

Just now, deeps said:

Am I the only one who thinks he won’t go? He has most likely been interviewed or approached for most vacancies we just don’t know about. Plus it’s Sky Sports who run a betting company which include odds on next manager markets. 

i think he'll see the season out personally

by the way, skysports have nothing to do with skybet...as ridiculous as it sounds. skybet is an entirely different company that pays sky to use their name

• Like 1

That is a rotter of a job.

Crap little club with no fanbase or ground/facilities of note.

Many key players aging and deteriorating as footballers.

Expectation is promotion. Missing out on play-offs would be a disastrous season.

A forward thinking club like Barnsley or MK Dons would be a much better option for him. He can grow with them.

• Like 1

Â