Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, villan_007 said:

I'd have to disagree there. If he cant create and score chances himself he isnt cutting the mustard is what im reading. We create nothing for him, and thats his fault? I dont buy it.

Agreed. My comment addressed the claim that "strikers don't need service to score goals". Of course sometimes players will create chances for themselves, or take advantage of mistakes, but ultimately they depend heavily on crosses, passes, penalties etc. Creating their own will get a handful of goals at best, unless they're Messi.

• Like 1

Agree about the service - but what worries me is the guys scarcely seems able to trap a ball.

Look at a good quota of Kjodia goals - he beats a defender before putting it in the net - same as many strikers  

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's a very big step up for him in terms of club size and I imagine that the pressure doesn't help. He needs service and I think he'll come good. 

FTFY 

He gets some defence for him not being a player that fits what we do currently. But he seems unable to control a ball, can't beat a player and his finishing has been poor in a Villa shirt. And these aren't to do with service. 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2017 at 10:49, jackbauer24 said:

Hogan = McCormack.

Both struggle/d to make an impact because not a single midfielder plays the ball into space, spots runs or puts it in to the strikers feet. We are completely set up to hit it high and to get our strikers to hold up the ball - things Kodjia and Gabby do. Things Benteke could do. But we need a midfield that are creative if we are to supply balls that the likes of Hogan need. 

I hope he forms a good partnership with Kodjia next season, supported by a settled Hourihane but Lansbury, Jedinak, Gardner and Grealish aren't capable of creating for others. Lansbury, Jedinak are at best ball winners but with an awful touch/ passing. Gardner is..a body on the pitch. Grealish is an overhyped two minutes a match selfish wonder.

We would have no problem scoring goals with Hogan if we had better midfielders. That's where improvements need making this summer. How many times did Hogan have his back to goal today when everyone knows he needs to be running on to through balls.

For the record though, attitude aside, McCormack looked far technically superior to Hogan and I still hold a little hope he can return fully fit with his head sorted out. Everyone deserves a second chance - Gabby is on his 50th...

a few random reactions....   who was feeding through balls and balls to feet for Hogan and McCormack at their previous clubs?   Are those midfielders that superior to any that we have?  

And .....  everybody deserves a second chance, nobody deserves 50.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

He gets some defence for him not being a player that fits what we do currently. But he seems unable to control a ball, can't beat a player and his finishing has been poor in a Villa shirt. And these aren't to do with service. 

He's also looked incredibly weak and shown little effort. Just with attitude and enthusiasm a striker like him should be able to cause a few problems but he failed miserably. 

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

a few random reactions....   who was feeding through balls and balls to feet for Hogan and McCormack at their previous clubs?   Are those midfielders that superior to any that we have?  

And .....  everybody deserves a second chance, nobody deserves 50.

You're right - but that backs up my point that it's a midfield issue. Our midfielders should be doing this but aren't. They should be better than the midfielders at Fulham and Brentford but aren't currently doing so. Hourihane and Lansbury are not creating for anyone, Kodjia is doing most of the work himself.

If Hourihane and Lansbury either start playing to their previous standard, or are arguably given the set up to do so, then you'll find that the likes of Hogan and McCormack don't have an issue scoring. If we continually go for the route one then Hogan will do nothing at this club. The reason Gabby looked better when he came on is that he will cope with aerial balls and hold it up. Different kinds of strikers. To be succesful we'll need both but without a creative midfield, hit and hope won't achieve enough. 

There's clearly an issue with the huge gap that is always there between our lone striker and midfield. That's down to Bruce and I have some sympathy for Hogan over that. 

But there were times when he had the ball to feet and his touch was awful, or as soon as a defender made contact he was easily nudged off the ball. Or the one time in the second half he managed to get past a player he then cut inside and got tackled instantly. 

He touched the ball 14 times against Blues. Gabby in 30 minutes touched it more. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

There's clearly an issue with the huge gap that is always there between our lone striker and midfield. That's down to Bruce and I have some sympathy for Hogan over that. 

I agree with this, and i agree Bruce has to shoulder the blame

But

This seems to have been a problem with villa for years and years. Even during MON's best periods we still went down the wings with everything and always lacked an attacking midfielder to unlock some teams. 

Weird.

• Like 2

On 23/04/2017 at 17:04, AVTuco said:

Annoying that we can't get anything out of him. Much like McCormack. 

It's not healthy to overly rely on Kodjia's magic. We'll need McCormack and Hogan at their best next season to compete for top two. 

Strange that we have signed 2 players who have proven they will score lots of goals in this league and both have looked a shadow of the former self. There is one common denominator..............

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with this, and i agree Bruce has to shoulder the blame

But

This seems to have been a problem with villa for years and years. Even during MON's best periods we still went down the wings with everything and always lacked an attacking midfielder to unlock some teams. 

Weird.

Perhaps because we have invariably had tactically negative British managers?

On 4/25/2017 at 08:43, DCJonah said:

But there were times when he had the ball to feet and his touch was awful, or as soon as a defender made contact he was easily nudged off the ball. Or the one time in the second half he managed to get past a player he then cut inside and got tackled instantly. 

He touched the ball 14 times against Blues. Gabby in 30 minutes touched it more. 

Great! Gabby touched the ball more and Gabby scored, Great!!!  Gabby has consistently let us down, his goal ratio is awful and he's been given so many chances at this club.  Hogan has just here, has proven to score goals at his previous club and his new club arent playing to his strengths yet and are getting to know him.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Great! Gabby touched the ball more and Gabby scored, Great!!!  Gabby has consistently let us down, his goal ratio is awful and he's been given so many chances at this club.  Hogan has just here, has proven to score goals at his previous club and his new club arent playing to his strengths yet and are getting to know him.

Great!

Well yes that's my point, Gabby who has consistently let us down and hasn't played for months was able to come on and have an impact, not with his skill but with his attitude and effort. Hogan was unable to do that. I'm sure he's capable of better but he's playing terrible at the moment and has to take some of the blame for this.  

• Like 1

On 24/04/2017 at 22:02, vreitti said:

One has to wonder if Hogan even was Bruce's choice, considering the way we're set up. The same goes for Hourihane I suppose. 

If he were a greener manager you may have a point, but i couldnt see Bruce taking that kind of thing too wel!.

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Great!

Well yes that's my point, Gabby who has consistently let us down and hasn't played for months was able to come on and have an impact, not with his skill but with his attitude and effort. Hogan was unable to do that. I'm sure he's capable of better but he's playing terrible at the moment and has to take some of the blame for this.  

Didn't Gabby come on and play left wing? He'd probably get more touches than an isolated striker that can't win aerial balls. 

Interesting that you mentioned attitude a few posts back. I remember Hogan's debut against Forest and he was bright, made great runs but looked increasingly frustrated at a complete lack of passing from Kodjia. Kodjia had started to get better at this, but Hogan doesn't seem to be offering the same movement. Do we have a striker-partner issue?

Â