Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Every time i see him I'm convinced he was a last minute panic buy at the end of the window. 

I see nothing to suggest he was signed with a plan. He can't play as a lone striker and we can't play him as a front 2 and still have a strong midfield. 

For me he's behind Gabby and Kodjia in the pecking order now. 

As said earlier, McCormack offered much more so he could still be an option next year

• Like 1

Annoying that we can't get anything out of him. Much like McCormack. 

It's not healthy to overly rely on Kodjia's magic. We'll need McCormack and Hogan at their best next season to compete for top two. 

Another player who looked good for another team but poor for Villa-one of a growing list.  

However, he is absolved of any blame today for me; he had absolutely nothing to work with and quite why the tactics were to lump it up to him whenever we could I just don't know. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Every time i see him I'm convinced he was a last minute panic buy at the end of the window. 

I see nothing to suggest he was signed with a plan. He can't play as a lone striker and we can't play him as a front 2 and still have a strong midfield. 

As said earlier, McCormack offered much more so he could still be an option next year

This x 10.  When will we learn?

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

That is how I see it. I know Bruce or the club has come out and said we were watching him for a long time but I just cannot see how that is the case. 

In the words of John Gregory 'if you don't spend it the next manager will'

This was just another multi million pound punt.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2017 at 16:38, blandy said:

And also imaginary, as no one has said that

I'd have to disagree there. If he cant create and score chances himself he isnt cutting the mustard is what im reading. We create nothing for him, and thats his fault? I dont buy it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

I'd have to disagree there. If he cant create and score chances himself he isnt cutting the mustard is what im reading. We create nothing for him, and thats his fault? I dont buy it.

Maybe 'isn't cutting the mustard' is a bit strong, but it pretty clearly suggests he's a weaker striker than Kodjia and a worse option for us. I mean, there are basically three types of striker, it seems to me. In ascending order of use: those who can't be relied upon to score regularly at all; those who can, but need very particular service or they won't score (this is where Darren Bent was, and where we think Hogan may be); and those who can put away chances when they get service but also create and finish their own chances (Kodjia/Benteke). Clearly the latter category are the most useful. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe 'isn't cutting the mustard' is a bit strong, but it pretty clearly suggests he's a weaker striker than Kodjia and a worse option for us. I mean, there are basically three types of striker, it seems to me. In ascending order of use: those who can't be relied upon to score regularly at all; those who can, but need very particular service or they won't score (this is where Darren Bent was, and where we think Hogan may be); and those who can put away chances when they get service but also create and finish their own chances (Kodjia/Benteke). Clearly the latter category are the most useful. 

Yeah I'd probably agree with that. Maybe his lack of goals shows how poor we're in creating anything. That has to change.

We can't rely on Kodj magic all season....and worst case lose him and rely on hogan.

but i think the difference is that Kodja is a 20 goal scorer a year whereas Hogan, playing to his attributes would be a 25-30 goal scorer a year.  If we could just mix it up a bit we could be looking at 20 from each.  I also dont think we could play 2 Kodja's either if we had them.  

So plan for next season has to be a bit more mixing up and we'll get the goals we need especially if Ross gets his head into gear and comes back because I cant see us getting what we want for him.  

Also somebody noted they would have Gabby before Hogan, was quite hysterical.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Different types of players, and you know it!

Of course they are. And that's my problem with Hogan, it seems he needs every single pass to be perfectly timed and perfectly placed to have just a minimum impact. 

He could have shown the same attitude and effort as Gabby but he didn't. He could have still caused problems without perfect service but he didn't. 

Completely ineffective at the moment. 

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but i think the difference is that Kodja is a 20 goal scorer a year whereas Hogan, playing to his attributes would be a 25-30 goal scorer a year.  If we could just mix it up a bit we could be looking at 20 from each.  I also dont think we could play 2 Kodja's either if we had them.  

So plan for next season has to be a bit more mixing up and we'll get the goals we need especially if Ross gets his head into gear and comes back because I cant see us getting what we want for him.  

Also somebody noted they would have Gabby before Hogan, was quite hysterical.

Today and the last game he played before he was injured. Gabby has shown so much more than anything Hogan has so far. 

So yes for me, Gabby would be ahead of him. 

Â