Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Take it you haven't seen the recent Bruce comments that he doesn't bear a grudge and basically the door (not gate) is open for him?

Maybe but I can't see McCormack having the same attitude. 

22 hours ago, thabucks said:

Laughable that people are writing him off already after an injury hit couple of months in a team which produces very little in the way of service or quality. How did Ashley Young do in his first 6months?

Give him time. He may be shite or become a legend too early to tell either way. 

Can't really use that as a case study given Young was 21-22 when we signed him and with a talented young player you're always going to give them more time. I'd also say that Young give us his fair share of good performances and demonstrated his excellent talents at various points during his first 6 months here in that 2006-2007 season. In particular he was excellent on his home debut against West Ham where he linked up brilliantly with Carew, scored away to Newcastle and was fantastic away to Bolton on the last game of the season (I think it was the last). 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Maybe but I can't see McCormack having the same attitude. 

Maybe, maybe not. 

Whatever he decides I just hope it has a positive effect on next season. 

Either he nobs off and we move on or he applies himself and becomes an asset. 

Its all there if it he wants it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Laughable that people are writing him off already after an injury hit couple of months in a team which produces very little in the way of service or quality. How did Ashley Young do in his first 6months?

Give him time. He may be shite or become a legend too early to tell either way. 

Exactly this. Sensible posting bucks :)

• Like 3

I don't want to write him off yet but no doubt about he has been rubbish so far. Poor and injury prone.

Next season I want to see big improvement. He scored the same amount of goals for us as gabby has. That's embarassing for 15m

He's been terrible since he joined us - the ball either bounces of him, he falls over or is off side. As the others have said the fact the Davis did more with the same level of service speaks volumes.

Needs to learn to trap and control a ball and take it from there.

I think yesterday gave a glimpse of what he can offer.

He was a different player yesterday due to the midfield pushing up (with Lansbury often playing ahead of him in that first half). It took a lot of the donkey work off him that would be far more suited to a stronger or faster player, thus his finer attributes of movement and anticipation were far more obvious.

he must be completely shot of confidence due to the last 6 months so it's not surprising he didn't notch a hat trick but that will come in time.  Such a shame for him he had to go off then, as he was already starting to find his feet more as the half grew on.

He made a few really nice runs yesterday that will be picked up by players next season once things start to settle with him, as long as he can keep fit.

However here is his main problem, he needs to be dealt with carefully as to minimise his chances of these injuries completely wrecking his career. On the plus side there have been plenty of similarly fragile players that have carved out great careers with the right care, just hope he can do the same.

Theres simply no point in having a player that you can't count on getting through a game unscathed, even if he turns out to be a real gem. Over to you physios!

• Like 1

What constitutes a nice run ? 

Davis got more of the ball - used it better and looked more threatening IMO. But as for nice runs I must be like lansbury and horrahaine - Im not seeing them - I will be honest I don't even know what they are..

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

What constitutes a nice run ? 

Davis got more of the ball - used it better and looked more threatening IMO. But as for nice runs I must be like lansbury and horrahaine - Im not seeing them - I will be honest I don't even know what they are..

You have to be at the match.  Tv won't show it, unless they keep the camera really wide.  Then watch the player away from the balll.   When you do that you'll find yourself thinking. "Now! pass him the ball now!  Or maybe a second ago so it got to him now!"  That was a good run.  If you don't ever say that, the odds are he didn't make any.  

Dont know how to define it any better than that (in the abstract at least).  

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

You have to be at the match.  Tv won't show it, unless the keep the camera really wide.  Then watch the player away from the balll.   When you do that you'll find yourself thinking. "Now! pass him the ball now!  Or maybe a second ago so it got to him now!"  That was a good run.  If you don't ever say that, the odds are he didn't make any.  

Dont know how to define it any better than that (in the abstract at least).  

I was at the match - I didn't say it - so maybe he didn't make any. 

That said I never get excited about Hogan receiving, or potentially receiving the ball - as he just falls over when he does get it. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I was at the match - I didn't say it - so maybe he didn't make any. 

That said I never get excited about Hogan receiving, or potentially receiving the ball - as he just falls over when he does get it. 

Ill give you an example.

We intercepted the ball towards the end of the 2nd half with Bacuna (I think) just intercepted the ball. We were on a 3 vs 3 break and all were all marked. Bacuna ran straight down the middle.  Hogan was playing centrally sprinted to the left where Lansbury was standing and stood on the shoulder of the defender marking Lansbury, which gave Hogans marker the choice of following him to avoid the overlap or staying central to stop the on coming attacker. It broke down slightly after but onlybecause Bacuna started veering towards the 2 defenders, pretty much making Hogans run poinless. He had opened up half the pitch and was waiting for the through ball.

There was a couple of others too.

He must be suffering from a confidence shortage currently because I agree with you that he is nowhere near a 12 million pound striker. 

However there are signs.

Edited by Nigel

On 5/8/2017 at 09:48, Nigel said:

Ill give you an example.

We intercepted the ball towards the end of the 2nd half with Bacuna (I think) just intercepted the ball. We were on a 3 vs 3 break and all were all marked. Bacuna ran straight down the middle.  Hogan was playing centrally sprinted to the left where Lansbury was standing and stood on the shoulder of the defender marking Lansbury, which gave Hogans marker the choice of following him to avoid the overlap or staying central to stop the on coming attacker. It broke down slightly after but onlybecause Bacuna started veering towards the 2 defenders, pretty much making Hogans run poinless. He had opened up half the pitch and was waiting for the through ball.

There was a couple of others too.

He must be suffering from a confidence shortage currently because I agree with you that he is nowhere near a 12 million pound striker. 

However there are signs.

Good example of a different kind of good run from the one I had tried to illustrate.  

• 1 month later...
Â