Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Just now, Farlz said:

To be fair he can play as a lone striker, he did so with Brentford and look how well he done. He just doesn't get enough service with us right now, he gets about 1 good chance a game. That's the big issue.

I've not seen much of him. But what i have seen, he looks totally unsuited to a lone striker role. 

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've not seen much of him. But what i have seen, he looks totally unsuited to a lone striker role. 

...but still, that's where he's apparently played for most of his career, where he's scored his goals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

...but still, that's where he's apparently played for most of his career, where he's scored his goals. 

Has he played as a lone striker most of his career?

And if he has, again i don't think we've thought it out much. Why have we spent a fortune on a player who scores goals as a lone striker when we already have one? So now we either move our best scorer to a position he's not great in or we have one of the league's most expensive subs. And I've seen little of the qualities needed to play the role during his time at villa. 

Like i said previously I'm not sure of the plan with this one. I know it was claimed we wanted him all window but i cant help feeling this was a panic buy. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Has he played as a lone striker most of his career?

And if he has, again i don't think we've thought it out much. Why have we spent a fortune on a player who scores goals as a lone striker when we already have one? So now we either move our best scorer to a position he's not great in or we have one of the league's most expensive subs. And I've seen little of the qualities needed to play the role during his time at villa. 

Like i said previously I'm not sure of the plan with this one. I know it was claimed we wanted him all window but i cant help feeling this was a panic buy. 

One of my mates (Forest fan) doesn't understand why we've bought Hogan as he thinks he's basically the same sort of player as Kodjia. 

I'd like them to manage to work as 2 up top, but...

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Really should've buried that chance infront of the Holte.

Another big money villa striker lacking confidence I'm afraid!

Or just a striker that doesn't always score ? Like every striker ever in fact ?

He missed a chance, it happens.

I thought his running was intelligent and he got in dangerous positions.

Of course he may indeed lack confidence but didn't seem so to me.

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

One of my mates (Forest fan) doesn't understand why we've bought Hogan as he thinks he's basically the same sort of player as Kodjia. 

Nothing like each other for me.

• Like 2

Kodjia and Hogan are not similar at all. Hogan is a behind the defender speed guy while Kodjia is an unpredictable menace that even our fans dont know what he will do next

• Like 3

7 hours ago, terrytini said:

Or just a striker that doesn't always score ? Like every striker ever in fact ?

He missed a chance, it happens.

I thought his running was intelligent and he got in dangerous positions.

Of course he may indeed lack confidence but didn't seem so to me.

He wants to score at home badly. It may be a little distraction for him until he does.

It wasn't an 'absolute sitter' but he should have at least got his shot on target and for £15m, you'd expect a goal. It's not working for him for a few of reasons. One his fitness hasn't been up to scratch due to injuries, two he's lacking confidence and three Bruce signed him without any real plan for him. We're not set up to get the best out of him. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I think it was an absolute sitter. 

It was laid back for him perfectly. He's less than 10 yards out with plenty of time. Short of taking a touch you couldn't ask for a simpler shot. 

Apart from an open goal you're not going to get many better chances than that. 

An absolute sitter is when someone misses from a couple of yards out with a virtually empty net. If I remember correctly, there were quite a few defenders in and around the goal line, so whilst I do think he should have scored, I wouldn't class it as an absolute sitter, just a very good chance that he failed to take.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Kodjia and Hogan are not similar at all. Hogan is a behind the defender speed guy while Kodjia is an unpredictable menace that even our fans dont know what he will do next

I don't think he is very fast though.

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Looked fast agaInst forest on his debut - has struggled to reproduce that performance but injuries have maybe held him back - I think a few goals will see him back on track - confidence is vital for strikers .

• Like 1

He is very quick though his running style does look quite lazily or that he isnt putting effort into this running. I think injuries are stopping him hitting good form

at this stage of season I would send him on holidays and rest up until pre-season

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

But, as with many of our players, compared to what ?

See, for me, if he had that fabled 'extra yard' he'd be in the Premier League. If SJ always made the right decision between punching and catching, so would he, if Adomah had more pace and better crossing accuracy, Ditto. And if Kodja ....etc

I just think sometimes people forget our players have to be flawed in order to be with us at all !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bobzy said:

I too, do not think they are very similar. But I do think it is a weird signing, as they both want to be the main man, the striker that gets the last touch, neither of them will pass much. Most teams that have two up top play with one target man or a hard working (Okazaki type) striker and a goal scorer. I do not see Hogan and Kodija playing together well, unless one of them drastically changes his playing style. They are similar in the way that they both want to be the goalscorers, but the way they seek to score is totally different from each other. Though, maybe Hogan was bought to be back up to Kodija ? in that case it was a very expensive signing for a back up player in this league. Hopefully I am wrong, and they will fit together and tear the league apart next season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it was an absolute sitter. 

It was laid back for him perfectly. He's less than 10 yards out with plenty of time. Short of taking a touch you couldn't ask for a simpler shot. 

Apart from an open goal you're not going to get many better chances than that. 

Harsh. 

I think he has looked dreadful most of the time he has played. He has done one or two decent things when he has been involved but for the most part looks nothing like a £15m forward. 

Â