Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, villan_007 said:

The absolute dross that has been Aston Villa over these last yrs has now created a debate that strikers don't need service to score goals.

An absolute mind boggler.

And also imaginary, as no one has said that

9 hours ago, villan_007 said:

The absolute dross that has been Aston Villa over these last yrs has now created a debate that strikers don't need service to score goals.

An absolute mind boggler.

I much prefer forwards though that can create goals out of nothing.

Our best in recent times have done that...Kodjia and Benteke could take a speculative ball hoofed forward, control it, beat a couple of men and finish past the keeper.

In the modern game now you need your main striker to be more than a goal hanger reliant on inch perfect crosses he can tap in from 5 yards.

Take the case of Darren Bent. Excellent with Young and Downing either side of him but he really became obsolete for us once they left. Scored a few tap ins and penalties but there were some games when he'd only have 7 or 8 touches of the ball which is no good if you want to control games.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Worst player on the pitch. 

Harsh, more like stupid tactics. The players were just feeding him balls like he was Rudy but any idiot accept our team knows you need to play the ball on the floor with hogan

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Harsh, more like stupid tactics. The players were just feeding him balls like he was Rudy but any idiot accept our team knows you need to play the ball on the floor with hogan

Even when it came to him, his touch was poor, he was weak, little effort. 

Completely ineffective. Needs to up it big time. 

Just now, sne said:

Why did we sell Gestede and buy this guy if this is the way we intend to use him?

Although I clearly see why we sold Gestede...

That really is the question. I am loathe to criticise him too much because we do not play football. How many one twos do we play in the final third, how much movement is there and players playing off each? Zero. We don't pull teams apart or even try to. We are a terrible side who at most get 4 paases together in the final third.

• Like 2

He was shit. It's going to be a struggle for him. Probably a few things at play, firstly he is playing in a side that does not create chances regularly, secondly I think this has affected his confidence and thirdly I'd say the fee we paid and the size of the club is potentially creating a lot of pressure and anxiety. 

Let's be honest, he has gone from a very small time club to a legitimately big club in terms of stadium, stature and expectation, not everyone can deal with this. I'm still going to be optimistic and think he'll do better next season but clear to me that we should be never paying this sort of fee for this level of player ever again. The fact that we paid up to three times more for Hogan than what Swansea paid for Fernando Llorente exposes some deep flaws in our transfer policy. Not saying we should have been in for Llorente (as we'd have no chance) just that we are not maximising value effectively enough.

Â