Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

You say 'amazingly ' like it would be daft to do so. I'm not so sure.

I would much rather kodge could alter his game as he has so much going for him but the simple fact is do we have the time with us needing to hit the ground running. This is a massive problem with him missing pre season too.

Hogan and McCormack will have hopefully have formed the starting of a partnership during pre-season, with the other attackers too. If this works well what do we do then? Fit kodge straight back in? 

His major problem is when he comes in he will alter the focus of the attack...unless he can change of course. But knowing this do we risk breaking up the partnerships to fit him in?

Of course this could be moot and  either he fits in straight away or we are crying out for his goals. But atm it's not a question that doesn't need answering.

If he isn't fit at the start and Hogan and McCormack are on form then he will wait for his chance. But there's a lot of ifs there. 

And it would have been daft to do so when those comments were being made back in January/February.

19 hours ago, Nigel said:

You say 'amazingly ' like it would be daft to do so. I'm not so sure.

I would much rather kodge could alter his game as he has so much going for him but the simple fact is do we have the time with us needing to hit the ground running. This is a massive problem with him missing pre season too.

Hogan and McCormack will have hopefully have formed the starting of a partnership during pre-season, with the other attackers too. If this works well what do we do then? Fit kodge straight back in? 

His major problem is when he comes in he will alter the focus of the attack...unless he can change of course. But knowing this do we risk breaking up the partnerships to fit him in?

Of course this could be moot and  either he fits in straight away or we are crying out for his goals. But atm it's not a question that doesn't need answering.

You want a player who scored 19 goals to alter his game to accommodate a guy who hardly scored any goals - good luck with that one.

Personally Id get Hogan to copy Kjodia. Learn how to beat a man and hit the target. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

We won't get the best out of Hogan with Bruce as manager.

Which is weird because he is the one who really wanted to sign him. Hogan needs it on the floor. 

• Like 1

We won't get the best out of Hogan with Bruce as manager.

I don't subscribe to that.

Its the players we sign or have in our squad that will determine that.

I don't believe for one minute that John Terry has signed for us with a view to playing dour kick and rush football or just randomly hoofing it up field.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't subscribe to that.

Its the players we sign or have in our squad that will determine that.

I don't believe for one minute that John Terry has signed for us with a view to playing dour kick and rush football or just randomly hoofing it up field.

We've signed players that should play to Hogan's strengths but we don't play to them largely as they are too deep.

That is down to tactics and the manager not players.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We've signed players that should play to Hogan's strengths but we don't play to them largely as they are too deep.

That was last season. I'm sure we will be at least a little bit more adventurous this season. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

100% this. I said it at the time, having seen a lot of Hogan at Brentford. He just doesn't suit the way Bruce plays and I don't see Bruce changing tack to accommodate him. 

I presume Bruce just saw he scored lots of goals and thought "that'll do, goals is what I want".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

100% this. I said it at the time, having seen a lot of Hogan at Brentford. He just doesn't suit the way Bruce plays and I don't see Bruce changing tack to accommodate him. 

I presume Bruce just saw he scored lots of goals and thought "that'll do, goals is what I want".

I don't fully get this. Although Hogan may thrive on through balls etc that doesn't explain why he is so frequently offside, falls over, or is so frequently caught in possession or indeed his lack of goals. I wonder was he an average player who found a bit of form at Brentford.

I still believe he was a panic buy. Nothing about the way we play with him suggests he was scouted for a long time and purchased with a real plan in mind. 

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't fully get this. Although Hogan may thrive on through balls etc that doesn't explain why he is so frequently offside, falls over, or is so frequently caught in possession or indeed his lack of goals. I wonder was he an average player who found a bit of form at Brentford.

OK - so from what I saw of him at Brentford, he plays right on the edge. Shoulder of the last man, burst of speed onto a good pass/through ball.

Brentford are a lovely passing team and they look to get the ball from back to front at speed but never by just hoofing it. They get the balls quick through the channels and it's lots of quick, sharp passing. He absolutely thrived in that scenario and scored lots of goals because he had the service that suited his game. Admittedly, I didn't see a lot of Villa matches last season but I just don't see Bruce setting his team up that way. 

As an aside, it was very interesting to watch the way Brentford changed their set up as soon as he'd left. Lasse Vibe was Hogan's replacement and played a very different role and the tactics were shuffled accordingly to accommodate this. Vibe still got a good number of goals but the midfield pushed up to support him more and the diagonal balls played in to feet which were Hogan's bread and butter didn't feature nearly as much as Vibe was used to hold the ball up for runners from midfield.

Edited to add, in regards off-sides etc - playing on the shoulder means you're playing a percentage game. Even at Brentford, he was offside a lot but the times he wasn't, he invariably ended up scoring. Caught in possession (from what I've seen) is because he is having to come deeper to get the ball as we aren't playing to his strengths. As for the falling over, I've nothing to comment on - I hadn't realised it was that much of an issue.

PS - Brentford fans have heard all the Vibe quips and puns already and pronounce it Veebay ;)

Edited by choffer

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

On paper it should work really well. 

I'd still prefer McCormack and Kodjia as a partnership. 

I think their too similar. Both need a target man to pick up scraps. Could work in a front three.

4 minutes ago, KSV said:

I think their too similar. Both need a target man to pick up scraps. Could work in a front three.

My only concern with Kodjia, McCormack and Hogan as a three is the real lack of width. 

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think it's just simply different pressure. Kodija aside you could say all of our championship signings that were thriving at their previous clubs have flopped. Please correct me if I wrong. 

Different expection and pressure hits a players confidence. They need to grow some balls. 

Â