Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Thank you for posting @Czechlad.

I really liked him at the Euros, he was the stand out performer for me in that legendary Iceland team. However I appreciate that the fans who watch him every week might have something different to add, but also I'm always willing to give every player the right opportunity to succeed when they pull on the shirt. 

Also, sometimes, fans love a scapegoat. For every Westwood there's a Baker, who just needs the right setting in which to succeed. 

I am willing to give him a chance, but like I said, I just wanted to make everyone aware of how he has been since the Euros. A lot of people think he is worn out and a new scenery might help because before the Euros he was a great player for them. I want to see this club succeed, and I just wanted to inform the supporters of what we might be getting. 

9 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I am willing to give him a chance, but like I said, I just wanted to make everyone aware of how he has been since the Euros. A lot of people think he is worn out and a new scenery might help because before the Euros he was a great player for them. I want to see this club succeed, and I just wanted to inform the supporters of what we might be getting. 

Oh right, so before the Euro's he was great? Just bad form then? 

Interesting. Maybe he left a bit of his heart there. Maybe he wanted a move to a big league in the summer? Thank you for adding that, settles me a bit. I hope he's the player I saw. 

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Basel fans think they could be doing better if Bjarnason was not starting. 

They think they could be better than top of the league after 18 games - 12 points ahead of 2nd place? 

Top of the league in what would be their 8th league win in a row if they win this season? They've lost once all season.

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

They think they could be better than top of the league after 18 games - 12 points ahead of 2nd place? 

Top of the league in what would be their 8th league win in a row if they win this season? They've lost once all season.

Shouldn't have lost once!  ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daweii said:

he didnt even play the 2 games they drew :crylaugh:

• Like 1

Seems to be mixed opinions regarding this transfer. I have read somewhere we have paid in the region of 1.5 - 2m correct me if I'm wrong on that. We have paid higher sums for worse players throughout time and I think this transfer has minimal risk attached, we do need midfielders afterall. 

Squad number 36? I'm gonna get me a Bjarnason shirt. I think this lad will become a fans favourite and and an eventual cult hero. Besides which, he has a nice arse (not my opinion, but that of the steward on the right). 

birkir_bjarnason.jpg

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

For that sort of fee it's more than worth taking a chance. His assists and goals stats this season are fine. That's worth him being labelled poor or whatever this season too. He's probably suffering from some burnout from the Euros but a move could spark him back, plus a free summer this year should see him alright. 

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Probably mean CL....they usually do well in the group  stage but were terrible this year.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Probably mean CL....they usually do well in the group  stage but were terrible this year.

Perhaps, but most teams vastly better than FC Basel do badly in the Champions League too. 

I can understand wanting their team to do well, but when they have Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain in their group they're the underdog.

You would have to think his game is perfectly suited to the rough and ready Championship.

As for our Swiss friends maybe they see football differently and expect their team to play like Barca.

The boy will be a hit with us due to his attitude I hope.

Â