Barney_avfc

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Tony tweets!

Bjarnason: 50% -> 100% !!!! 

:D:clap::cheers:

Villatalk decides (helped by other fan messageboards):

100% -> 75% -> 50% -> 0%!!!!

:(:rant::bang:

BTW, why isn't he spelt Bjarnasson? Most people from Iceland have 2 ss's in their name, don't they? :suspect:

yess

Basel's manager Urs Fischer spoke to the press yesterday after the sale was confirmed, and admits he knew it would be tough to hold onto the midfielder.

Quoted by Baselandschafliche Zeitung, Fischer commented: "For me, it was a matter of time before Birkir left. He will be missed, but at the same time his leaving opens the door for another. "

You can forgive Fischer for being a little nonchalant, his Basel side sit 12 points clear at the top of the Swiss Superleague, and while his exit is a blow, they should go on and clinch the title regardless.

sounds like a player Basel didnt want :P

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/26/basel-boss-urs-fischer-comments-after-selling-birkir-bjarnason-t/

Edited by Zatman

20 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Oh he really was, he was a terrible footballer.

Don't think I have ever disagreed with you Trent but I do here. He wasn't PL standard no but that wasn't his fault that we bought him. He did try and he did always put in a shift and he was playing in a crap team too. This I thinks excluded him from 'terrible' status. But just my opinion. 

Nb I might be wrong but I think the strikers in front of him were Holt and or Keane on loan. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

On 28/01/2017 at 10:12, sparrow1988 said:

Still all the 'superior' teams from the 'superior' English Premier League have tended to struggle at times against Basel

We didn't in 2001 when we beat Basel 5-2 on aggregate to lift the Intertoto Cup in 2001.;)  

• Like 1

On 29/01/2017 at 00:25, Chicken Field said:

I am not Icelandic, but my native tong and names are quite similar. 
The last name is your fathers first name and ends with son or sen. As someone else mentioned, if it is a girl, it's dottir, so Birkir Bjarnason sister will be called Bjarnadottir. 

Birkir's fathers name is most likely Bjarni (which is a common name), although this tradition is not as active as it was in the past, so his father my have Bjarnason as last name too.  Bjarnason = Bjarni's son. 

If the father's name ends in a consonant, the son's surname will usually or always have two s's, and if it ends in a vowel, it will only have one s, because of grammer. 

:D

*grammar ;)

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

*grammar ;)

Aha, little did you know that I was actually talking about Kelsey Grammer, best known as Frasier Crane and as the voice of Sideshow Bob, it is actually he who decides who get one or two s's in Iceland :P 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 3

On 28 January 2017 at 09:56, briny_ear said:

BTW, why isn't he spelt Bjarnasson? Most people from Iceland have 2 ss's in their name, don't they? :suspect:

I always wondered the same about Fabian Delph, he should have had at least 7 sssssss's in his, the snake!:puke:

• Like 3

Â