Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

8 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

can you just for a second imagine the sheer volume of beautiful Icelandic clunge that engulfed this awesome man after that heroic Euros adventure. The poor sod was probably just knackered. and possibly dehaydrated

For what its worth, I dont think he looks like the best footballer in the world and I think he will initially struggle but he is strong and robust and most importantly, if he works hard and chases everything and runs himself into the ground he will be given time by the villa faithful.  

:D

13 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Okay apparently you struggle with comprehension so I'll dumb down my post for you.

Basel fans think very poorly of Bjarnason. This is well documented across various forums. Basel fans say that he is very selfish, kills plays, and rarely impacts matches. He does however pop up with just enough goals and assists which is why he starts. Basel fans think they could be doing better if Bjarnason was not starting. 

Westwood rarely looks good in a Villa shirt, but does just enough to keep getting matches mostly down to how poor the other options are. Westwood is disliked on our forums just like Bjarnason is on their forums.

So here is my comparison so please pay attention: If we sold Westwood to say Burnley, we'd be happy much like Basel fans are happy that they sold him to us. Now if a Burnley fan came to our forums to learn more about Westwood, they'd likely see an overwhelming amount of hostility towards Westwood, and likely see us saying we mugged them off with this transfer. Now any sane human would see that and get worried, but if you choose to ignore the overwhelming amount of negative posts and only look at the few positive ones, then we have you. That is what you are doing. 

All I am doing is taking that information from one forum, and presenting it to another. 

I'm going by the theory that

Whoever owns a pair of football boots simply must be better than Hutton Westwood Gardner & Gaby

• Like 1

Reminds me of Holman, who, in turn, reminded me of Frank Carradous.  Neither were especially popular with fans and dismissed as guys who just ran and got about the pitch, but (although Holman was out his depth in the Premier League) those characteristics can serve a team well, especially with the amount of ball players we have.

I think he is  - like the other MFs weve bought  - just what we need and will complement the other buys.

Regardless of what fans at his last Club or the one before think !

• Like 1

It's brilliant having Hourihane and Lansbury come in, along with Jedinak already here, at the same time as signing Bjarnason too.

It allows us to bring him in and give him time to settle in England, build up his fitness and sharpness and get used to the tactics. If the rumours of him looking jaded from the Euros are true, unlike previous years, we won't HAVE to rely on him to play every week and hit the ground running. If he does, great, massive bonus. If not, that's fine, use him as a better backup option than Gardner and Westwood and get him in a position to fire on all cylinders come next season. 

Excited by this signing but glad it's not a "you better be our saviour" signing for the first time in what feels like forever.

• Like 1

Holman actually played quite well early on in his one season....I think it was Newcastle away when he was MOTM by a distance and everyone thought we'd got a bargain, he also scored a couple of long rangers.

Sadly our disastrous xmas 2012 did for him and he was terrible thereafter. 

I think Bjarni probably wanted a fresh challenge after the euros so wasn't as motivated for Basle....probably similar to Payet.

On 25/01/2017 at 21:08, Czechlad said:

Okay apparently you struggle with comprehension so I'll dumb down my post for you.

Basel fans think very poorly of Bjarnason. This is well documented across various forums. Basel fans say that he is very selfish, kills plays, and rarely impacts matches. He does however pop up with just enough goals and assists which is why he starts. Basel fans think they could be doing better if Bjarnason was not starting. 

Westwood rarely looks good in a Villa shirt, but does just enough to keep getting matches mostly down to how poor the other options are. Westwood is disliked on our forums just like Bjarnason is on their forums.

So here is my comparison so please pay attention: If we sold Westwood to say Burnley, we'd be happy much like Basel fans are happy that they sold him to us. Now if a Burnley fan came to our forums to learn more about Westwood, they'd likely see an overwhelming amount of hostility towards Westwood, and likely see us saying we mugged them off with this transfer. Now any sane human would see that and get worried, but if you choose to ignore the overwhelming amount of negative posts and only look at the few positive ones, then we have you. That is what you are doing. 

All I am doing is taking that information from one forum, and presenting it to another. 

Go read the start of the Benteke thread.

On 25/01/2017 at 21:00, Junxs said:

Come on man, that was even before the MON era. I remember crackers from well outside the box from Carew, Sidwell, Milner, Lowton, Benteke.. but most of all Petrov v Derby which won goal of the season!

I'm sure there's plenty more

Mersons late winner against Everton....I squeeled like a bitch!

Don't want to be a negative Nancy but don't understand the fuss. Swiss league is a joke, yeah I know the Belgian one is too and we got Benteke from there. Was on the bench the last CL match too so not even nailed starter? 

Hope to be proved wrong

On 27/01/2017 at 01:26, Zatman said:

while he wasnt great I always liked Holman as he was never brilliant technically he never failed to put in a shift regardless of ability. when you look back years later at clowns who played in our team you realise he wasnt that bad :o 

Oh he really was, he was a terrible footballer.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Don't want to be a negative Nancy but don't understand the fuss. Swiss league is a joke, yeah I know the Belgian one is too and we got Benteke from there. Was on the bench the last CL match too so not even nailed starter? 

Hope to be proved wrong

It's not the best league but every team in the Swiss league has been playing better football than Aston Villa have managed for a long time.

I was initially excited by this signing but I guess he's rubbish now due to these posts so I'm gutted now.

Can someone tell me if your other signings are good or not as I can't wait to actually see them perform for us and trust the judgment of other clubs fans over our management. 

• Like 3

I guess we won't know how good/crap he is until he plays. What is good about this deal is that we're getting an experienced player who's played at international level, in the champions league and serie a. He scores goal, gets assists, and all this for under 2 million quid.

Tshibola was 5-6 million with 30 odd appearances in the championship.

Seems a pretty safe bet for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hope to be proved wrong

Still all the 'superior' teams from the 'superior' English Premier League have tended to struggle at times against Basel

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Tony tweets!

Bjarnason: 50% -> 100% !!!! 

:D:clap::cheers:

Villatalk decides (helped by other fan messageboards):

100% -> 75% -> 50% -> 0%!!!!

:(:rant::bang:

BTW, why isn't he spelt Bjarnasson? Most people from Iceland have 2 ss's in their name, don't they? :suspect:

I'm no expert, but I seem to remember something about how in Icelandic culture your surname is your father's forename + son for boys or dottir for girls. It does seem you would add an extra S as in Bjarna's son. 

In short, I don't know.

• Like 1

Â