Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Seemed industrious and seemed to make a few good late runs into the box, although was never picked out.

But that's as positive as I can be. 

Completely forgettable debut. He and Hourihane made absolutely no impact.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I read he has not played a game in almost 2 months - clearly off the pace and more suited to wider role - he will need time to adapt but he wIll get there.

apart from friendlies and these friendlies are played at walking pace.

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

I read he has not played a game in almost 2 months - clearly off the pace and more suited to wider role - he will need time to adapt but he wIll get there.

I don't get where this "wide role" thing is coming from.  He might have played there in the past, but he's a central midfielder not a winger.

According to transfermarkt of his 58 starts for Basel he played central midfield/attacking midfield 7 times. 27 games out left 24 games on the right. He did say Bruce has bought him to play in the middle I think, but it's probably where it comes from.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has been very inactive so will take a while to get going, not the smartest move starting him IMO. 

At least not as our central attacking outlet between midfield and Kodjia. 

Maybe we should play him at Left Wing where he's comfortable until he's up to speed.

Could easily have just swapped Green and him around yesterday. Green would have likely thrived in the center just behind Kodjia as well.

• Like 1

First maybe 20 minutes or so I thought he was about to have a shocker.  Looked so nervous (obviously settling in, which is fine), always playing the ball backwards, not really wanting the ball, took a foul throw.  It looked like a disaster waiting to happen.

Instead, he recovered and put in arguably the best performance from anyone on the pitch (maybe Hogan aside).  He was so solid defensively, which surprised me, blocking almost every cross and matching his man often.  Was a surprising choice to play him at wing-back, but I thought he did well.

• Like 2

Erm if you ask a left sided midfield with little recent match experience at left wing back do not be surprised if he is not man of the match.

if only we had a very attacking left full back that would not have to worry too much about the defensive aspect of the game because of the solidity that three centre halves give you.......

Blame Bruce not Thor.

• Like 1

Did ok tonight for me. A right footed left winger is fine. A right footed left back or wing back isn't fine. Amavi would have been more effective going forward. 

Thor did a solid job, and defended well, given the fact he's been chucked in a centre midfield and left wing back in his first 2 games despite not playing since December. 

• Like 1

Â