Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Another fan's input on Bjarnason from a month ago before they played Arsenal:

" Utter rubbish since the Euro. Wish we would have sold him in August. Yes he's a regular, but shouldn't be, everybody seems to agree about it. He might just be tired, after all he hardly had a break since the last winter break. Missed a 100% chance on the weekend at 0-1, the counter after the chance led to the 0-2 (the opposition was down to 10 players too). There is no reason for him to play tomorrow, if he's starts ahead of Elyounoussi I won't understand the world. "

2 hours ago, allani said:

I agree mate.  Scoring in any league as a midfielder is a great attribute that we've not had for a while.  Not quite sure exactly how Bruce will have them lined up but a midfield of Adamoh, Henri, Thor, Connor and Grealish - has goal threat written all over it.  And most of them look like they can put in the legwork, make a tackle, read the game and have a bit of bite about them too.  Been a while since you could associate our midfield and goal threat together (except to our own defenders).  I'm hoping that these additions give Grealish the kick up the **** he needs and also afford him a little more freedom.  I think this is an important 3-4 months for him now.  Not quite make or break but getting close.  I've got my fingers crossed.

You forgot Jedinak. It seems a lot of fans have, or have written him off. With a proper midfield in front of him left to do the dirty work he's going to be an asset, IMO.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I'm fairly sceptical about this signing.   He's 28 and not been playing anywhere near this level,  domestically at least. 

We don't have a great record of signing from foreign leagues in recent times either. 

That said,  like most others I will be fully behind him and the rest of the guys in claret & blue when they take to the field. 

I can't recall ever seeing him play to be honest mate so I've not got any opinion of him as yet. But just on the bit in bold, a lot of the players we have signed from abroad over the last 4/5 have come from pub teams really. Basel are a pretty decent outfit aren't they? (I also don't watch much European football so that is simply based on the odd time I've seen them in the CL), so you would think he has something about him?

25 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I'm fairly sceptical about this signing.   He's 28 and not been playing anywhere near this level,  domestically at least. 

We don't have a great record of signing from foreign leagues in recent times either. 

That said,  like most others I will be fully behind him and the rest of the guys in claret & blue when they take to the field. 

He has played in Serie A and Champions League

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I said exactly that to friend today. I'm not sure if that says more about Steve Bruce or those that went before him. 

I'm incredibly confident Bruce will prove to be a fantastic appointment, its just a shame he wasn't appointed in the summer. But hey ho, glass half full, its better late than never. 

As we've seen in the past though, it's one thing signing 'em -quite another to get a tune out of 'em. 

A few round here and elsewhere were saying our business in the summer of 2015 was the best we had done since BFR in 1991.  Our business in the summer just gone looked more than enough to set us up for a full tilt at automatic promotion. 

We've signed (just about, including Hourhane) three good midfielders for this level.  My concern with Bruce would be that even with good midfielders at his other clubs, his sides rarely dominated the play. It's not what he does. 

Ultimately I think we'll be playing a style not dissimilar to what we have seen thus far -albeit with a bit more attacking threat in the final third now. 

My only worry with Thor is that he's used to winning matches so I just hope that his head doesn't drop when things aren't going our way which is the last 6 years..

Other than that though I can't see him being any worse than our current midfield/left mid. If he scores goes and does things in matches he's an upgrade, I don't care besides that.

Bottom line is that he was holding a place down at the top club in Switzerland, that plays in the Champs League/Europa League and whilst doing so was making a positive contribution scoring goals and providing assists. In addition he has 57 senior caps for the the best Iceland side ever.

I don't expect him to be a world beater obviously but he plays in a position we are weak in and his record suggests he could be an effective player certainly at this level and at under 2 mill that represents good business.

• Like 2

I would imagine, depending on whether we're home or away / favourites or underdogs, we'll line up with Grealish attacking or Jedinak defending.

Home:

Lansbury Hourihane

Adomah Grealish Bjarnason

Away:

Lansbury Jedinak Hourihane

Adomah - STRIKER - Bjarnason

Got a sneaky feeling that the Icelandic vibe isn't going away. Potentially see Finnbogasen signing too? 

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

@Czechlad stop killing my buzz man! There will be plenty of time to say he's crap if he plays crap, but for now just let me have the hope factor.

Sorry, but I am a little worried. It seems he is a very frustrating player and that is in the Swiss league. I am not sure if he can do a job for us. I am reading numerous poor reviews of him. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Godders said:

He could balloon the ball over the Holte end for all I care. An Aston Villa midfielder getting himself into a 100% goal-scoring opportunity is the stuff of legend and folk-songs at the moment.

i am impressed if one of them get into the box and that includes our box

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

Sorry, but I am a little worried. It seems he is a very frustrating player and that is in the Swiss league. I am not sure if he can do a job for us. I am reading numerous poor reviews of him. 

because somebody on an internet forum said he is crap

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You forgot Jedinak. It seems a lot of fans have, or have written him off. With a proper midfield in front of him left to do the dirty work he's going to be an asset, IMO.  

I've assumed (possibly wrongly) that Jedi will be on the bench and coming on for the last 20 minutes or so - or rotated with Grealish depending on the opposition.  I think as super sub he will play a vital role - as well as slipping into the starting XI as/ when tactics / injuries / form / suspensions kick in.

Â