Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

He has 4 goals this season in 13 appearances (9 starts, 4 subs) out of 18 league games in total.  He scored 10 goals for Basel last season, and 12 before that for Pescara in Serie 'B'.

31 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Seems like a nice chap, and has some good experience under his belt. I think signing a player from a team in the champions league and who won their league last year is a bit of a coup. Any one up on swiss football? How much did he contribute there last season? 

He got 10 goals from midfield for them last season, not to be sniffed at. Been a while since we had a midfielder do that for us. 

Edited by Barney_avfc
See above, damn you Bof
  • Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

He has 4 goals this season in 13 appearances (9 starts, 4 subs) out of 18 league games in total.  He scored 10 goals for Basel last season, and 12 before that for Pescara in Serie 'B'.

Having watched a few Serie B matches this season - I wouldn't get too excited about stats from that division.  It is generally not very good.  My local team is Bari (in a bizarre Villa twist) and Westwood would walk into their starting midfield (but I hope he doesn't come here!).

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Having watched a few Serie B matches this season - I wouldn't get too excited about stats from that division.  It is generally not very good.  My local team is Bari (in a bizarre Villa twist) and Westwood would walk into their starting midfield (but I hope he doesn't come here!).

Not getting excited.  Just laying it out there.  He does seem to know where the goal is though so that's nice.  The fact he's a regular for a pretty handy CL side is more encouraging than what he did in Italy a few years ago,

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Given the string of clueless managers before him, it still amazes me that SB can immediately spot what needs changing (i.e. right back and an entire midfield). 

I said exactly that to friend today. I'm not sure if that says more about Steve Bruce or those that went before him. 

I'm incredibly confident Bruce will prove to be a fantastic appointment, its just a shame he wasn't appointed in the summer. But hey ho, glass half full, its better late than never. 

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Not getting excited.  Just laying it out there.  He does seem to know where the goal is though so that's nice.  The fact he's a regular for a pretty handy CL side is more encouraging than what he did in Italy a few years ago,

I agree mate.  Scoring in any league as a midfielder is a great attribute that we've not had for a while.  Not quite sure exactly how Bruce will have them lined up but a midfield of Adamoh, Henri, Thor, Connor and Grealish - has goal threat written all over it.  And most of them look like they can put in the legwork, make a tackle, read the game and have a bit of bite about them too.  Been a while since you could associate our midfield and goal threat together (except to our own defenders).  I'm hoping that these additions give Grealish the kick up the **** he needs and also afford him a little more freedom.  I think this is an important 3-4 months for him now.  Not quite make or break but getting close.  I've got my fingers crossed.

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, BOF said:

You could say that for Scott Sincliar nowadays. But he is still shite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I just want to see one atomic strike go in. When was the last time we had one of those? Hitz - West Brom 2003 maybe...

Gil in the FA Cup 2015... was it against Brighton? That was a belter and probably worthy of being atomic.

edit: it was Bournemouth.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

Basel fans opinion on him from a few months ago:

" As a Basel-Fan I have to tell you that he actually shoudn't be anywhere near our starting XI. He was dreadful the last like 6-7 months (apart from the EUROS).
He plays so bad, can't dribble but still is very egoistic but still SOMEHOW manages to score. I can't believe Fischer benches Elyounoussi and lets Boetius at home for this prick. "

Are their fans dense or something?

If he's scoring goals, doing something and the team is winning then the mangers choice is justified right?

The only reason fans should be vocal is when the team is doing really shit..

FC Basel won the league last season and in 18 games this season have won 15, drawn 2 and lost 1.

You can complain all you like about a player, but if something is working then it's not getting changed.

• Like 1

I'm fairly sceptical about this signing.   He's 28 and not been playing anywhere near this level,  domestically at least. 

We don't have a great record of signing from foreign leagues in recent times either. 

That said,  like most others I will be fully behind him and the rest of the guys in claret & blue when they take to the field. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I just want to see one atomic strike go in. When was the last time we had one of those? Hitz - West Brom 2003 maybe...

We had Der Hammer and now we have Thor 

Â