Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

He was dreadful today and I'm sure he knows it. Bullied by their number 9 and had no answer to it, although that is nothing new unfortunately. I do wish they would bulk him up a touch. 

Hasn't looked match sharp all pre-season yet. I suspect he will play a heavy part on both games to come as we will need him clicking against Spurs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He was dreadful today and I'm sure he knows it. Bullied by their number 9 and had no answer to it, although that is nothing new unfortunately. I do wish they would bulk him up a touch. 

Hasn't looked match sharp all pre-season yet. I suspect he will play a heavy part on both games to come as we will need him clicking against Spurs. 

Agreed, thought lansbury made hourihane look poor also, lansbury was effective I thought.

Really hope we get douglas or another DM in asap...

Edited by MaVilla

I think some of the criticism is a tad harsh tonight. 

Hourihane played the DM role and did what he needed to, curbing his normal runs forward.

other than a few misplaced passes, I thought he did well and allowed Grealish and Lansbury to link midfield to attack. 

Edited by theboyangel
A touch of Dimitri C itis

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I think some of the criticism is a tad harsh tonight. 

Hourihane played the DM role and did what he needed to, curbing his normal runs forward.

other than a few misplaced passes, I thought he did well and allowed Grealish and Lansbury to link midfield to attack. 

Dunno to be fair, he got bullied off the ball once or twice tonight. Not good if he's starting against Spurs...

He didn't see much of the ball, everyone seems so comfortable on the ball now that they no longer take the easy option, which is often the DM, it was noticeable that BB got a whole lot more of the ball when there were wholesale changes. I'm not too worried for Conor, Walsall didn't test us enough to really need to use his position very much, he'll have other opportunites to show he's up to speed before Spuds.

It's preseason but he looked noticeably below the standard of most of the rest of the team tonight. I'm sure he will pick it up, but I'd surprised if he was a starter next season.

29 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Hourihane is what he is. I don't know why people are expecting more.

he's had a raise.....just kidding.

Edited by TRO

Engels has been quote saying that Grealish & Hourihane, "the leaders in the team" have been doing a great job helping everyone settle.

I don't think he'll end up as an accomplished starter in the PL, but with his ability on set pieces and timed runs into the box, as well as a positive influence on the squad he's a no brainer to have on the bench for me. Hopefully not as a DM option though!

I'm sure we're all hoping in a few years we wont need players with his limitations, but for now I think he can play an important (albeit bit-part) role for us.

We know Hourihane can deliver in the Championship. We are yet to find out whether he can deliver in the Premier League. Which, I think, is why we have tied him down to a new contract in case we are relegated again. You'd expect us to have to sell some of the players we have signed (plus McGinn/Grealish are likely to leave), so ensuring we have the likes of Hourihane who knows what to expect from the league below, means we give ourselves a better chance of coming back up. Probably a smart move really!  

Edited by Tayls

The only thing that worries me about Conor is his strength and a bit of pace he's lacking. 

I actually think he'll be fine the Prem.  It's a shame he isn't a bit stronger and quicker, but I'd take a leader and set piece taker who chips in with goals and assists :) 

On 25/07/2019 at 01:22, turvontour said:

Hourihane is what he is. I don't know why people are expecting more.

because statistically he's been very good but his general play hasn't backed it up, I think people like him and want him to back the goals up with just being a little bit better every week

I've never liked him as a DM, but he's always produced when he's been playing further up. He's a quality player when he's up for it, but he loses concentration far too much to be a regular PL starter. He'll be better served as a backup to Grealish and McGinn, or as an impact sub to shake things up a bit.

I'm a big fan of Conor when he's doing well. I genuinely think he has something to offer us next season, even if he is one of our weaker midfield options now.

He's way ahead of Lansbury in the pecking order, if someone offered to take Lansbury off our hands we'd probably let him go, just to get him go just to get his astronomical salary off the wage bill, whereas Hourihane has been given a new deal. Also his general play is fine, he's basically like Westwood, but with the added bonus of goals and assists. If he can be anywhere near as good for us in the Premier league as he was in the championship then he will be a worthwhile squad member.

Â