Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

The thing is there were times today Leipzig should have scored, but Heaton saved our arses, and some of those chances came by them just walking past our DMC. Once those chances gets converted and we start leaking goals in the PL, people will not want him at DMC. It's a nailed on to happen. 

I actually think Conor has shown great professionalism at this club and he has played some very good football as well. Should keep him and get his chance in advanced roles, but not as DMC. It's not smart, not the right thing for the club, nor the right thing for Conor. He simply isn't a DMC, DLP or anything close to that. 

That said, I don't like to change winning teams, so he should start against spurs. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

Hourihane isn't a Gealish type of player, what some don't seem to realise is that at Barnsley he had a lot of defensive duties, because they played a two man midfield with him and Scowen, in fact when we sign him he had the best defensive related stats for a midfielder in the division, I remember at the time looking on a Barnsley forum and was surprised to see a number of them refer to him as a DM. Not saying we should play him as a DM in the Premier league, but he's not been as foreign to that position in his career as some seem to think. He should get plenty of chances, I expect Marvelous and Luiz to eventually be first choices at DM, but he only has Grealish and McGinn ahead of further forward, so he'll get plenty of game time. Need to get used to the idea that in the Premier league as a big spending club we'll have good players on the bench, and sometimes ones that won't even make the matchday squad.

1 excellent goal. 1 deflected goal. 1 great cross for Tyrone. Decent performance.

Still think we need to play to a system - rewarding players for forward play, and then sticking them in a defensive position isn't a good idea. Think he'll start on the bench, but a very good option form there.

49 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am trying to give him the chance and he is amazing on set pieces, but I just can't see it working out for him in the DMC role. We are better off using him in rotation with Jack. My biggest gripe with Hourihane at DMC position is that it looks like you can just walk past him with the ball. He doesn't have the urgency, tenacity, work rate or determination I want to see in that role.

I nearly choked. Rotation with Jack. Our captain and key player is not going be rotated 

57 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The thing is there were times today Leipzig should have scored, but Heaton saved our arses, and some of those chances came by them just walking past our DMC. Once those chances gets converted and we start leaking goals in the PL, people will not want him at DMC. It's a nailed on to happen. 

I actually think Conor has shown great professionalism at this club and he has played some very good football as well. Should keep him and get his chance in advanced roles, but not as DMC. It's not smart, not the right thing for the club, nor the right thing for Conor. He simply isn't a DMC, DLP or anything close to that. 

That said, I don't like to change winning teams, so he should start against spurs. 

I have never seen him as a DM, but the manager has been playing him there.

The bottom line is, we have just beaten the 3rd placed Bundesliga team in their own back yard, irrespective how we have done it.....its an impressive result, that they didn't want.

We have not lost an away game pre-season.....how long ago was it you could say that?......The opposition was modest, but how many times have we lost in the past to lowly opposition?

We are clearly doing something right.....and for me, I am cautiously excited, by what I see.

I think Heaton is a master stroke....I will join in with Ian Holloway.....Gobsmacked we have got him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I nearly choked. Rotation with Jack. Our captain and key player is not going be rotated 

He should be. Just use cup matches as an example or when Jack is carrying a knock. That's the whole point of having a squad. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think McGinn. Point being Hourihane should not be DM, but play further up. That leaves Jack, McGinn or one of the wingers to make him room in the line-up.

Edited by AVTuco

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

You have to give Conor a lot of praise. He has worked so hard and keeps on doing so to stay in the team. He won’t play every game, but you know he won’t be sulking about it, he’ll be out there fighting to regain his position 

One of the things I love about him as a player. Great attitude!

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

The bottom line is, we have just beaten the 3rd placed Bundesliga team in their own back yard, irrespective how we have done it.....its an impressive result, that they didn't want.

We have not lost an away game pre-season.....how long ago was it you could say that?......The opposition was modest, but how many times have we lost in the past to lowly opposition?

We are clearly doing something right.....and for me, I am cautiously excited, by what I see.

I think Heaton is a master stroke....I will join in with Ian Holloway.....Gobsmacked we have got him.

Holloway said he was gobsmacked we got him?

I really like the guy, I think my opinion on him changed last year when he grabbed the Leeds player after goalgate, but let’s all be honest he does look a little lost as a DM, he never seems to know weather to close the ball, the space or go with a runner and for me he always makes the wrong decision and gets bypassed, but even McGinn did that a few times today. I will say that he’s got great delivery and I do think he has a part to play this season. I think if we go 4-4-2 against some teams he will be excellent as a CM with another DM player in there. 

He's not a DM and we now have better options in that position.

Which means he's competing with McGinn and Grealish which is tough luck because he doesn't get in ahead of them.

Competition is good though.

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

Holloway said he was gobsmacked we got him?

Quality footballer (opinion), but as many people have said he is not a dm (fact).

Maybe DS is going for the score more than we concede and entertain Newcastle of the 90s approach. If we can beat those dirty s##ts from Leipzig with him playing there maybe it'll work.  Probably not consistently but stranger things have happened. 

Edited by MrBlack
Cleaning up

Â