Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

On 31/05/2019 at 03:47, Kiwivillan said:

I like him bombing forward more than shielding the back 4

To be fair I think he played the DMC role to fit in to the system.

Now we are in the prem I would expect us to purchase a proper DMC so can see hourihane being an off the bench option in an attacking sense, where i agree he fits best tbh.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair I think he played the DMC role to fit in to the system.

Now we are in the prem I would expect us to purchase a proper DMC so can see hourihane being an off the bench option in an attacking sense, where i agree he fits best tbh.

I'm ok with this. Great in the final. Not so great 2nd leg semi. I think he's a final 3rd player

Starts again tonight in a lot more attacking Irish line up against a very poor Gibraltar , hopefully can see lot more out of Conor tonight

Rare start for Hogan as well

Edited by pete101

7 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Starts again tonight in a lot more attacking Irish line up against a very poor Gibraltar , hopefully can see lot more out of Conor tonight

Rare start for Hogan as well

hopefully some good performances can attract Hogan suitors.....

On 05/06/2019 at 22:28, villan-scott said:

Hourihane Interview

Great interview and insight into his journey and career. I’m backing him to be a success next season. Seems there’s too many youngsters who feel they’ve ‘made it’. 

Popped in after watching 70 mins of Gibraltar match and saw this. Wonder if he's having a pop at any of the lot who just got released? Good to hear how hard he works.

Credit to him for making it this far but he has so much work to do for me. I'm in the minority that I don't think he was brilliant v Derby, he was alright, nothing more. Derby were horrible going forward until we sat right off them at the end then they were all over us.

Just can't see how where he'll play apart from maybe as a sub for Jack/John. Him in that deep role is still asking for trouble, can't tackle, positioning/organisation iffy, predictable and slow in possession. His habit of hiding every time someone else is under pressure I find very frustrating as well.

Hope he has a good rest after this annoying international break and comes back ready keen to work again. One thing he does always seem to do is get into goal scoring positions so I'd prefer to see him further forward than sitting next season.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Popped in after watching 70 mins of Gibraltar match and saw this. Wonder if he's having a pop at any of the lot who just got released? Good to hear how hard he works.

Credit to him for making it this far but he has so much work to do for me. I'm in the minority that I don't think he was brilliant v Derby, he was alright, nothing more. Derby were horrible going forward until we sat right off them at the end then they were all over us.

Just can't see how where he'll play apart from maybe as a sub for Jack/John. Him in that deep role is still asking for trouble, can't tackle, positioning/organisation iffy, predictable and slow in possession. His habit of hiding every time someone else is under pressure I find very frustrating as well.

Hope he has a good rest after this annoying international break and comes back ready keen to work again. One thing he does always seem to do is get into goal scoring positions so I'd prefer to see him further forward than sitting next season.

Yeah for me he's a squad player next season, we need to buy  a really good DMC, then the other two spots are Grealish and Mcginn for me.

• Like 1

He isn't going to be a starter but as an option off the bench with his delivery and shooting, he'll be an asset. Season after season he delivers goals and assists. What he brings in terms of shots and accuracy with the delivery threatens keepers at whatever level.

His overall game isn't enough as a starter I'd suspect but plenty of other clubs would love someone with his sort of stats as a squad member. Can easily see him nabbing 5-8 goals in the latter stages of games, with tired players and a bit of room to pop a shot off. 

7 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Appreciate what Hourihane did for us in the Championship but imho he isnt a PL player.

Sadly, I think you’re right. We need a player in there who can take the game by the scruff of the neck. I just don’t see it in him.

A good option from the bench I suppose and always puts in 100%.

7 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Appreciate what Hourihane did for us in the Championship but imho he isnt a PL player.

I think you're being a tad harsh to be honest.

There were times last season that he didn't influence games like he should, but I feel that he is a good player, a confidence player, even in is quieter periods his stats were decent and I thought he finished the season very well for us, arguably changed the game in the semi final home leg and played a key part at Wembley.

He has got ability no doubt, just needs to keep the aggression to his game which he showed post the controversial Leeds goal really. 

He will have that sweet left foot regardless of what league he is. Whilst he probably won’t start most games he will definitely play his part next season. 

As others have mentioned he is better than a lot of midfielders we’ve had in the squad over the years whilst in the top flight. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't disagree with you often but I think you're letting your own bias's about him cloud your judgement here. He was fantastic for 60+ minutes. I watched it both from the stands and then twice more from Sky and he was everywhere, breaking everything up, fantastic passing etc.

Â