Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

53 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We know Hourihane can deliver in the Championship. We are yet to find out whether he can deliver in the Premier League. Which, I think, is why we have tied him down to a new contract in case we are relegated again. You'd expect us to have to sell some of the players we have signed (plus McGinn/Grealish are likely to leave), so ensuring we have the likes of Hourihane who knows what to expect from the league below, means we give ourselves a better chance of coming back up. Probably a smart move really!  

This makes no sense, signing players for relegation? 

He has signed cause he believes that he can get in the team and wants to play Premier league football. He has shown a good attitude in the past when he isn’t in the team.

really dont think hourihane gets the respect befitting an integral member of our promotion team. He scored a lot of goals, got a lot of assists and fought and scrapped his way through the more industrial games that Villa ground out.

Ok so he may not be pulling up any trees in pre-season but it may be that he is the kind of player that only gets motivated by a true contest rather than a glorified work-out. Also he has a distinct professionalism and air of leadership about him that is needed in any dressing room. I also suspect he has a chip on his shoulder which will drive him onwards in the prem.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, useless said:

He's way ahead of Lansbury in the pecking order, if someone offered to take Lansbury off our hands we'd probably let him go, just to get him go just to get his astronomical salary off the wage bill, whereas Hourihane has been given a new deal. Also his general play is fine, he's basically like Westwood, but with the added bonus of goals and assists. If he can be anywhere near as good for us in the Premier league as he was in the championship then he will be a worthwhile squad member.

Astronomical? How much do you think he earns exactly?

He was on £40,000 whilst we were in the championship, that's two million a year, and he almost definitely would have had an automatic pay rise upon promotion. By the time his contract ends in 2021 he will have taken over ten million out of the club, for someone who's only had a couple of decent games, I'd say that that's pretty astronomical.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

really dont think hourihane gets the respect befitting an integral member of our promotion team. He scored a lot of goals, got a lot of assists and fought and scrapped his way through the more industrial games that Villa ground out.

Ok so he may not be pulling up any trees in pre-season but it may be that he is the kind of player that only gets motivated by a true contest rather than a glorified work-out. Also he has a distinct professionalism and air of leadership about him that is needed in any dressing room. I also suspect he has a chip on his shoulder which will drive him onwards in the prem.

I agree. It's interesting that a lot of the grief he gets is because he doesn't fly into tackles as a midfielder.  This has caused some to comment on his bravery. We have to remember that he was first in against blues when grealish got slapped, he was the one fighting leeds like a man possessed . I think he'll step up. If he had half the assists and half the goals I'd take that now  . He's only playing deep because there's noone else to play there. He's not going to be a starter but he's a bloody good midfielder to come on in a tight game. Remember WBA in the playoffs, and the ball in the final for the first goal.

20 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree. It's interesting that a lot of the grief he gets is because he doesn't fly into tackles as a midfielder.  This has caused some to comment on his bravery. We have to remember that he was first in against blues when grealish got slapped, he was the one fighting leeds like a man possessed . I think he'll step up. If he had half the assists and half the goals I'd take that now  . He's only playing deep because there's noone else to play there. He's not going to be a starter but he's a bloody good midfielder to come on in a tight game. Remember WBA in the playoffs, and the ball in the final for the first goal.

He's just not that good as a DM. That's the position he'll be playing in the prem, and I think a lot of people are simply stating that for all the assists and important goals we need someone better in such an important position. He seemed responsible for a few goals for lack of pace/following a man too. Then, in an attacking sense, I worry that he can go missing too much. Having said all that he's a good squad player and I hope he proves me wrong. His goal in the semis was huge and I have a lot of respect for that.

4 hours ago, useless said:

He was on £40,000 whilst we were in the championship, that's two million a year, and he almost definitely would have had an automatic pay rise upon promotion.

I’m really not sure either of these things are true. I have no evidence to the contrary. I just haven’t seen any evidence to support them beyond people just stating it as fact. Not every contract has an automatic payrise written in and I’d be very surprised if we were paying him that much in the Championship. 

Personally I’d be thinking of selling him but I’m not sure where people get this very specific information on contracts that gets thrown around.  

The same place where we get pretty much all our information unless stated otherwise by the club - The media. Given the mess that the club found itself in last summer because of financial mismanagement then it stands to reason that we were probably paying

6 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

4 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Nah, he’s just a really average player with a fantastic set piece delivery on him.

He really didn’t scrap through games either from memory. At his best, generally, when we were likely to control midfield. 

He did well at the end of the season and always seems like a great chap. No problem with him being a squad player, but he simply can’t be first team this season. He’s just not good enough. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

He's just not that good as a DM. That's the position he'll be playing in the prem, and I think a lot of people are simply stating that for all the assists and important goals we need someone better in such an important position. He seemed responsible for a few goals for lack of pace/following a man too. Then, in an attacking sense, I worry that he can go missing too much. Having said all that he's a good squad player and I hope he proves me wrong. His goal in the semis was huge and I have a lot of respect for that.

Engels called him and Grealish the leaders of the team. That makes me fearful he is in starting XI and where else but DM. He's just so positionally wayward there and was getting bullied off the ball by Walsall. Also his returns at DM last season were 1 goal 1 assist

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Engels called him and Grealish the leaders of the team. That makes me fearful he is in starting XI and where else but DM. He's just so positionally wayward there and was getting bullied off the ball by Walsall. Also his returns at DM last season were 1 goal 1 assist

You can be a leader off the pitch and not feature in many matches. If he was featuring a lot then the club just wasted the best part of £30m on two players better than him (assuming Nakamba is done). He's a squad player, his responses during his interview after signing a new deal insinuated as such. He may feature in some games this season, but I doubt he's our starting DM for the upcoming campaign. 

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He didn’t start all of our games. Actually we started Wheland instead of him in our first playoff game.

You can’t assume he’ll start regulary with Luiz and Nakamba.

47 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

well, to be fair to Hourihane.

I dont rate him particularly on the field, i think he's ok, and done a good job for us, but i dont think he's prem quality, will be an ok squad player prob.

however......i also believe he is a model professional in training and off the field, someone who expects the most of others and himself on the training ground and off it, so regardless of what i think of him on the pitch, i dont think anyone can question his professionalism etc, so if he is trying to get the new players in to that mindset, good luck to him.

Also i would imagine Mings is also classed as a team leader tbf, engels couldnt mention everyone who was a "team leader"....otherwise it might end up like an oscars speech........." i would like to thank Grealish, and i would like to thank Hourihane.....and i dont want to forget the man in my life, Mr Mings........love you Mingsie..........****tears***clapping*****crowd cheers*****"

Edited by MaVilla

4 hours ago, useless said:

He was on £40,000 whilst we were in the championship, that's two million a year, and he almost definitely would have had an automatic pay rise upon promotion. By the time his contract ends in 2021 he will have taken over ten million out of the club, for someone who's only had a couple of decent games, I'd say that that's pretty astronomical.

A couple of decent games?

Yes for the most part he's done nothing whatsoever whilst at the club. If he'd have had ten or so decent games, that would still make what we've paid and continue to pay for him astronomical. I think with Lansbury there's two players the one in reality, and the one that exists in people's heads, he just isn't very good.

We're all behind Lansbury to have a really wonderful season, lets hope he can get going this time, there's a good player in there somewhere, he just needs to awaken it.

Edited by useless
By the way this is the Hourihane thread.

5 hours ago, useless said:

I can’t imagine Conor was on £40k, I’ve just looked online and fmdatabank which is normally fairly accurate had him on €30k last season. 

I was referring to Lansbury in my post. £30k is a lot for a championship player as well, but at least Hourihane has played contributed in a big way towards the team getting promoted. The blame for the size of the wages doesn't really lay with the players, but the previous regime, as in Bruce, Round and Wyness for putting them on that kind of money, Jedinak was apparently on £50K a week.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I was referring to Lansbury in my post. £30k is a lot for a championship player as well, but at least Hourihane has played contributed in a big way towards the team getting promoted. The blame for the size of the wages doesn't really lay with the players, but the previous regime, as in Bruce, Round and Wyness for putting them on that kind of money, Jedinak was apparently on £50K a week.

Fair enough my bad, misread it. 

Â