Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

5 hours ago, MrSmirch said:

I think he’s great when we’re on the front foot and attacking the **** out of teams but not when defending a lead.

Fortunately,  Great Barrdiola doesn't believe in defending leads. He believes in attacking leads. :lol:

• Like 1

If I were to draw an Irish man jogging, that would be it to be honest. 

Still confused why those bibs are the most practical way to measure body parameters. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I'm just gonna come out and say it. I like Conor in defensive midfield. 

Since the playoff final when I saw him getting in doing the dirty work with some good aggressive tackles I thought he looked more the part. I like that he has the ability to pick the through ball as a deep lying play maker. He goes forward and passes with purpouse. This is great for how we play especially on the break. He's rusty position wise but this can be trained. And he's a little bit nasty at times. Whenever there's a scuffle. Who's in there first..Conor. loves a sensible yellow card too. Valuable player for me.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, VlVA_LA_REVOLUTlON said:

I'm just gonna come out and say it. I like Conor in defensive midfield. 

Since the playoff final when I saw him getting in doing the dirty work with some good aggressive tackles I thought he looked more the part. I like that he has the ability to pick the through ball as a deep lying play maker. He goes forward and passes with purpouse. This is great for how we play especially on the break. He's rusty position wise but this can be trained. And he's a little bit nasty at times. Whenever there's a scuffle. Who's in there first..Conor. loves a sensible yellow card too. Valuable player for me.

I change my mind a lot on him......I generally like him.

I guess we all get seduced at times by that sweet left peg......However he is 28 not sure much will change, but I would be sad to see him go, if he did.

sometimes that strike from outside the box is worth the entrance money.....but he is a player I could end up arguing with myself over his complete game.

• Like 2

Watching him today.  I dont think I saw him get caught out of position the whole time he was on. Pretty impressive considering our midfield setup is relatively complex and (arguably) Smith asks a lot of the DM role.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

11 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Watching him today.  I dont think I saw him get caught out of position the whole time he was on. Pretty impressive considering our midfield setup is relatively complex and (arguably) Smith asks a lot of the DM role.

The play off final may just have been the making of him.

Before that game I was deadset against him in the DM role, players would just run through him or he just wasn't there at all. In the final he positioning was exemplary, intercepting the ball at ease.

I hope he kicks on this year, again I have my doubts at this level playing that role again. Ideally you want him in the side for his set pieces alone.

• Like 1

I like Conor however he isn't going to cut the mustard as a full on DM in the PL!

I think he will get plenty of game time without needing to shove him into a position where he was terribly exposed last season at times. This season we need serious tenaciousness and a bully in there, something Conor isn't. I'm not slagging him off either because he has been excellent at times but he is far more suited in the McGinn role as a box to box player than a DM.

I've no doubt that at times this season during games he will find himself in that role as will all our central midfielders. Suited to it he is not though. imo 

Ain't good enough for DM, no way. Hides from getting our play going when any pressure is applied.

I have doubts about him further forward as well, but his return always outweighed his performances anyway, which is a great trait to have. If he gets goals in the Prem he'll be a great player to have around and throw on.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Ain't good enough for DM, no way. Hides from getting our play going when any pressure is applied.

I have doubts about him further forward as well, but his return always outweighed his performances anyway, which is a great trait to have. If he gets goals in the Prem he'll be a great player to have around and throw on.

100% on the DM part. Lot of his goals/assists have come when he's played advanced. Last season all 3 goals at AM turns out Grealish wasn't playing and not sure if they were free kicks without checking.  

Breakdown last season positionally(transfermarkt)

AM 3G 5A

CM 3G 6A (1 game LM vs Millwall 1A)

DM 1G 1A

22 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I like Conor however he isn't going to cut the mustard as a full on DM in the PL!

I think he will get plenty of game time without needing to shove him into a position where he was terribly exposed last season at times. This season we need serious tenaciousness and a bully in there, something Conor isn't. I'm not slagging him off either because he has been excellent at times but he is far more suited in the McGinn role as a box to box player than a DM.

I've no doubt that at times this season during games he will find himself in that role as will all our central midfielders. Suited to it he is not though. imo 

A voice of reason. Sentiment makes people make calls with the blinkers on. Conor will be found wanting in the premier league and im saying that before the event, not " oh he was brilliant in the playoff final, deserves it " and 5 games into the PL season " he's rubbish ". Unbelievably fickle. He has contributed massively to us getting up but im not afraid to upset others by being honest and saying i think he's a very flawed player. His balance is poor, he isn't the most physically imposing in a DM role, passing is safe rather than brave, gets rushed on the ball easily and panics. Douglas Luiz looks a higher quality of player than Conor and just a better footballing brain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As the work permit for Douglas is taking a bit of time, the starting berth at Spurs is likely his. 

Up to him to grasp it. 

Was just thinking this today. What an opportunity for Conor.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

A voice of reason. Sentiment makes people make calls with the blinkers on. Conor will be found wanting in the premier league and im saying that before the event, not " oh he was brilliant in the playoff final, deserves it " and 5 games into the PL season " he's rubbish ". Unbelievably fickle. He has contributed massively to us getting up but im not afraid to upset others by being honest and saying i think he's a very flawed player. His balance is poor, he isn't the most physically imposing in a DM role, passing is safe rather than brave, gets rushed on the ball easily and panics. Douglas Luiz looks a higher quality of player than Conor and just a better footballing brain.

I agree with your points but in addition....a DM has to keep/defend the ball too, as well as win it......Its a crucial part of the field.You either launch an attack or are on the defence of the opponents attack....Its a crucial position.

Edited by TRO

Struggled tonight. I think with the way we clearly want to play going forward he's going to find it hard to keep up. Found it easy with Hutton and Taylor because it was always sideways and back that it was very comfortable but not effective. Guilbert and Jota take up much more advanced positions, Conor doesn't have that easy out ball with these two. Head was down a bit tonight. Won't read too much into that but yeah one he'll want to forget.

Â