Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I bit off topic,  but the signing of the scottish lad seems very much like a Smith'esque move. I honestly wonder if there's more to that than we know. 

What Scottish lad? 

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I bit off topic,  but the signing of the scottish lad seems very much like a Smith'esque move. I honestly wonder if there's more to that than we know. 

Like what? Villa knew in the summer they were going to sack Bruce and replace him with Smith in October so they asked Smith who we should sign despite the fact that Bruce was still the manager? So we should give Smith credit for signing McGinn?

• Haha 1

Would be quite something that :D

Smith who was not involved in signing players at Brentford, scouting and signing players for us while still manager for Brentford...

Somehow I don't see it.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Like what? Villa knew in the summer they were going to sack Bruce and replace him with Smith in October so they asked Smith who we should sign despite the fact that Bruce was still the manager? So we should give Smith credit for signing McGinn?

I don't care about giving credit to anyone atm. Just feels weird to me. If they already har feelers out towards Smith or anyone else in terms of replacing Bruce I wouldn't find it surprising if the scouting department suggested players that could fit other tactics than hoofball. When you look at the other midfielders Bruce wanted I can't really see a match with McGinn. Then again I may be talking out my arse. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't care about giving credit to anyone atm. Just feels weird to me. If they already har feelers out towards Smith or anyone else in terms of replacing Bruce I wouldn't find it surprising if the scouting department suggested players that could fit other tactics than hoofball. When you look at the other midfielders Bruce wanted I can't really see a match with McGinn. Then again I may be talking out my arse. 

No chance; if that were the case they would have sacked Bruce at the start of the last international break after being battered by Sheff Utd, it was the perfect opportunity.

Think there is a lot that points to that there were different types of signings.

Nyland was supposedly someone Bruce had followed for 4 years, Tuanzebe and maybe also Abraham & Bolasie? are likely to be players Bruce had at least some hand in getting in.

Players like Moreira and El Ghazi was likely not Bruce players but rather Mendes. 

As for McGinn? No idea, but since we were also looking at that defender from Aberdeen it appears we were scouting in Scotland.

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Think there is a lot that points to that there were different types of signings.

Nyland was supposedly someone Bruce had followed for 4 years, Tuanzebe and maybe also Abraham & Bolasie? are likely to be players Bruce had at least some hand in getting in.

Players like Moreira and El Ghazi was likely not Bruce players but rather Mendes. 

As for McGinn? No idea, but since we were also looking at that defender from Aberdeen it appears we were scouting in Scotland.

I've seen the bolded bit before but I will never believe it, it's a little too Tim Sherwood for me 

8 minutes ago, weedman said:

I've seen the bolded bit before but I will never believe it, it's a little too Tim Sherwood for me 

Yeah, I've no idea, but it was mentioned quite a bit back when we signed him.

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He can't run and shows up 1 in every 5 or 6 games, he has no place here under Smith.

This. 

Loved to be proved wrong but seen nothing from the guy to suggest otherwise. He's an adequate 5th choice if that were needed but other than that he's just yet another example of the ridiculous money we've paid average footballers over the years. 

Hot take incoming...

I like Lansbury, I think he has exceptional technical ability and players like that if coached correctly always have a chance. 

I don't buy the idea that he can't run, I think he lacks natural spacial awareness and discipline and his confidence is through the floor. Can that be coached into him? I don't know. If I was a betting man I would say no, but I think he has a shot at playing a more prominent role under Smith. He has that ability to pass through the lines. 

• Like 1

I got the impression that Bruce demanded 100% commitment and grit first and foremost, if someone didn't prioritate that from the off they were disregarded and didn't get a look in.

I hope that Dean Smith first and foremost appreciates players who has ability, who can pass and move, players with football brains. If they need to adjust to fit the playing style and if they need to work more defensively etc. I hope and think he will coach them that together with them and try to develop these players. I think Lansbury is that kind of player and I think he can come good now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I got the impression that Bruce demanded 100% commitment and grit first and foremost, if someone didn't prioritate that from the off they were disregarded and didn't get a look in.

I hope that Dean Smith first and foremost appreciates players who has ability, who can pass and move, players with football brains. If they need to adjust to fit the playing style and if they need to work more defensively etc. I hope and think he will coach them that together with them and try to develop these players. I think Lansbury is that kind of player and I think he can come good now.

With the risk of sounding like @TRO, ability is nothing without application and vice versa. I don't buy this 100% or nothing bullshit. Running around giving 100% is b****x unless it's coupled with intelligence - knowing when to press etc as opposed to holding your position.

Lansbury is a player who can produce quality but it needs to be coupled with consistency. That might be down to coaching or personal application or both but whatever it is Henri needs to improve and I hope that he will. 

Â