Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bruce played him as the holding player in that cm. Lansbury is not a cm.

How about when he came on against Leeds? He was awesome. Played one game then bruce dropped him again 

Clearly don't rate him

He got injured IIRC and in that one game, I believe against Millwall(?) he was awful.

He's got talent, but his application is shocking.  

He can kick a ball as sweet as a nut, he can play and see passes other players can't, but he's a lazy son of a bitch.  He plays when he wants.  He's got dirt in him, he likes a niggle at other players, but as soon as the going gets tough, he's a hider.  

He has a lot of technical ability, he can play the game, but he never gets stuck in enough, he never busts his gut enough to get into positions, he just glides around, being ineffective.  

He should be able to boss games in this league because other players in the league don't have his technical ability, but he just doesn't have to drive or determination to make him anything other than an expensive luxury player.  He certainly shouldn't be played as a CDM, because he's so lethargic.  

He's the epitome of someone at school who is brilliant when he gets the ball, but off it, he just couldn't care less. 

It's a shame really. 

A lot of "he's" in there ain't there? :lol:  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He can kick a ball as sweet as a nut, he can play and see passes other players can't, but he's a lazy son of a bitch.  He plays when he wants.  He's got dirt in him, he likes a niggle at other players, but as soon as the going gets tough, he's a hider.  

He has a lot of technical ability, he can play the game, but he never gets stuck in enough, he never busts his gut enough to get into positions, he just glides around, being ineffective.  

He should be able to boss games in this league because other players in the league don't have his technical ability, but he just doesn't have to drive or determination to make him anything other than an expensive luxury player.  He certainly shouldn't be played as a CDM, because he's so lethargic.  

He's the epitome of someone at school who is brilliant when he gets the ball, but off it, he just couldn't care less. 

It's a shame really. 

A better manager or motivator should be able to get the best out of him

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

A better manager or motivator should be able to get the best out of him

I'm not so sure.  Maybe though.  

He came from Arsenals youth and some of their youngsters always seem to have an air of entitlement around them and never really earn their corn.  

He's played under Wenger, Allardyce etc, so you'd think he would have had the chances.  He's 27 and looking every bit a perennial coaster.  He could and should be much better, it's a shame he hasn't and probably won't reach his potential. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Such an average footballer. Forest fans I know were not sorry at all to lose him. Thought they'd proper mugged us. It's sad his thread has been elevated to the top. Another junk Bruce signing or perhaps the scout that's been let go

them and a load of other clubs....form a queue for the piss take.

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm not so sure.  Maybe though.  

He came from Arsenals youth and some of their youngsters always seem to have an air of entitlement around them and never really earn their corn.  

He's played under Wenger, Allardyce etc, so you'd think he would have had the chances.  He's 27 and looking every bit a perennial coaster.  He could and should be much better, it's a shame he hasn't and probably won't reach his potential. 

This is where the recruitment is questionable.....we have a poor history of this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's a shame really. 

oh dear.

just about sums up my thoughts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

he's well down the pecking order in attacking midfield. His best bet is learn how to be a DM. Jedi with legs.

depends how happy he is getting paid just to turn up to train. Very content I should imagine.

If he has ambition, then he shouldn’t be content, he is a good player in my opinion 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If he has ambition, then he shouldn’t be content, he is a good player in my opinion 

"If" being the operative word.

I think a " Good " Player encompasses many factors, of which application is one of them.

a player with no application or little application is an "also ran"

as another poster so aptly wrote recently....." hard work beats ability when ability doesn't work hard"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

He's good on paper. However he usually has zero impact. like Hourihane but without the goals.

I think his only ambition will be to get one more big contract after Villa.

The problem with English players is fans and journo's are obsessed with playmaking midfielders then forget we need grafters to do the ugly side of the game.

England used to be blessed with this type of warrior David Batty and Paul Ince etc .

Now we have a problem every english midfielder wants to be the number 10 in the hole. The only english ball winner is Dyer a converted centre half...and he is terrible in midfield.

It's not too late for Lansbury  he could work on his long distance running, and rapid changes of direction.  get into the Villa team. Get us back in the prem,  grow his hair really long again and wear a head band (the lansbury version of grealish's socks rolled down look) then surely an england call up wouldn't be far away as there is zero competition in this area. there's only frustrated number 10's like John Jo shelvey  lumps who think they can play.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's a shame really. 

I get what you are saying based on how he has been since he joined villa, but none of thst was the case at forest.

He picled upplenty of goals and assists and tackled very well for them.

To me that suggests SB doesnt know how to utilise and motivate him, which, as a famed man manager, is his job.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's a shame really. 

Edit. Nay mind!

Edited by praisedmambo

I was excited by this guy when we were first linked, but if memory serves @TrentVilla who watches a lot of Forest didn't seem too excited by it. 

I guess his concerns have proved to be correct. This is another guy that i think we will struggle to get rid of. 

20 hours ago, screwdriver said:

He's good on paper. However he usually has zero impact. like Hourihane but without the goals.

I think his only ambition will be to get one more big contract after Villa.

The problem with English players is fans and journo's are obsessed with playmaking midfielders then forget we need grafters to do the ugly side of the game.

England used to be blessed with this type of warrior David Batty and Paul Ince etc .

Now we have a problem every english midfielder wants to be the number 10 in the hole. The only english ball winner is Dyer a converted centre half...and he is terrible in midfield.

It's not too late for Lansbury  he could work on his long distance running, and rapid changes of direction.  get into the Villa team. Get us back in the prem,  grow his hair really long again and wear a head band (the lansbury version of grealish's socks rolled down look) then surely an england call up wouldn't be far away as there is zero competition in this area. there's only frustrated number 10's like John Jo shelvey  lumps who think they can play.

so very, very, true.....trouble is.

Giles & Bremner

Case & Souness

Bremner & Mortimer

Viera & Petit

Townsend & Richardson

They could all do a bit of both ..... scheming and tackling.

6 hours ago, KHV said:

Yet another example of Villa placing a mediocre player on a whopping salary.

40k per week for him is shocking.

We still to this day throw money around like we are a big premier league club. Nobody in charge seems to have got the memo that we are not a big club but a mediocre also ran with a limited budget.

Its just picking up stats and signing players. That season we signed McCormack, Lansbury, Hogan and Hourihane and I doubt any was watched and only Hourihane has done well here

6 hours ago, KHV said:

Yet another example of Villa placing a mediocre player on a whopping salary.

40k per week for him is shocking.

We still to this day throw money around like we are a big premier league club. Nobody in charge seems to have got the memo that we are not a big club but a mediocre also ran with a limited budget.

trouble is....it motivates the opposition too.

Â