Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

9 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

I'd be happy if we appointed someone like Slaven Bilic on a years deal see how he gets on when we do finally sack Bruce or he walks!

Dealt a bad hand by West Ham and i think he would do well here!!

Bilic would be a disaster in my opinion. 

Edit. Is this in the right thread? 

Edited by sidcow

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Is there any chance of him saving his career here if he's allowed to roam forward by a manager or are we calling him done regardless. He always looked class to me playing elsewhere. 

Like Hogan, I think Lansbury went though a relatively brief period of playing well in a system that suited their play. Even if Villa played exactly to their strengths, I still think they are unlikely to regain their peak performances. We’re not the only club to do so, but we do have a habit of ‘buying high’ and then being surprised when average players don’t repeat what was simply a ”purple patch”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

Is there any chance of him saving his career here if he's allowed to roam forward by a manager or are we calling him done regardless. He always looked class to me playing elsewhere. 

No as we have about 5 midfielders ahead of him. Another lets buy him he looks good signing, rather than looking at a player and seeing if he fits our team.

From what I saw at him during pre-season I think he is going through the motions really and must surely want a loan move in January. Of course we can't sell him as no club will match his wages at Villa. Another masterstroke.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if Villa actually enhanced player careers instead of destroying them?

It would be great. It surely affects our ability to attract players as well or if it doesn't now then it certainly will at some point.

Hoping this backroom staff clearout will be the start of something positive where player development is concerned.  It's obvious there's talent in Lansbury it's just needs to be coached and used properly.

• Like 1

For me it’s a number of things.

Injuries have played their part, no-one’s fault really. It’s had an effect on him not really having a run of games.

In hindsight it kinda feels like Bruce bought him because he was available without a clear idea on how he wanted to use him. Holding midfielder, more of an attacking midfielder, in a two with Hourihane. All a bit muddled. 

However I think it mostly comes down to Lansbury himself. Apart from a couple of instances, Lansbury’s never really imposed himself on a game. I get the sense he needs to be “the main man”, more of a leader role which I think he was more so at Forest. He’s become sort of lost amongst the bigger characters we’ve had over the past year or so. Shame as I had high hopes for him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

For me it’s a number of things.

Injuries have played their part, no-one’s fault really. It’s had an effect on him not really having a run of games.

In hindsight it kinda feels like Bruce bought him because he was available without a clear idea on how he wanted to use him. Holding midfielder, more of an attacking midfielder, in a two with Hourihane. All a bit muddled. 

However I think it mostly comes down to Lansbury himself. Apart from a couple of instances, Lansbury’s never really imposed himself on a game. I get the sense he needs to be “the main man”, more of a leader role which I think he was more so at Forest. He’s become sort of lost amongst the bigger characters we’ve had over the past year or so. Shame as I had high hopes for him.

He seems to think that imposing himself on the game = sneaky dirty tackles on the opposition. Have been so disappointed in him since he arrived

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As much as I dislike Bruce, I find it tiresome we find excuses for some players.
Lansbury has been awful since joining and has had plenty of chances. He is responsible for being shit, no-one else. 

If only Lansbury was the only one in this boat

• Like 1

Lansbury though has never really shown much in his career. He had a decent little spell before he joined us but before that Forest fans say he played 1 good game in 5. 

His Villa career died the night at St James Park when he disappeared after some boos from the home crowd and no way he could cope playing for Villa after that

Under a decent manager with attacking intent Lansbury would be a very good player for Villa. With a 3 man midfield of Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn with Bjarnasson & Lansbury as backups thats as good as any midfield in this leage. That then leaves us able to move on Jedinak and Whelan and get a large amount off of the wage bill. This then leaves Doyle-Hayes and O'Hare as backups if required.

Since his injury last season he hasn't really been given a chance, and has never had the chance to play his own game in the midfield. Deployed as a defensive midfielder in his first season, he was never going to be the player that we signed from Forest.

• Like 2

Â